Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Chapter by Amanda

Chapter 11

Andria stepped out from behind the paper wall separating the bathroom from the rest of the lair. Her hair was damp and uncombed, hanging in wet, wavy locks across her shoulders. She draped her bath-fresh skin in a thin, white robe that wafted against her bare heels when she walked.

Taking a damp towel to her sopping tresses, Andria curiously eyed the sky through the small opening in the cavern overhead. It was mid-afternoon, but only scant traces of light made their way into the lair. She could smell the dust-heavy, positively charged air as unmistakably as anything. If her guess was right, rain would be coming soon.

As if on cue, thunder rumbled overhead. “Yenko?” Andria called into the darkness. She crossed the lair to the small television perched atop its column of honor and began playing with the knobs. “Do you think we should start lighting some torches?” she called loudly. Andria paused a couple moments, but no response came. He was probably asleep somewhere, she guessed; but if that were true, wouldn’t his defenses be down? Or could he protect the lair in his sleep?

The T.V. flickered on, ravaged by static. Andria adjusted a couple more knobs and pulled the antenna this-way-and-that until a clear image appeared. She needed to find a weather broadcast, but as she reached again for the dial, an image on the screen caught her attention. Her hand froze. Half the screen was consumed by a professional-looking Japanese woman talking directly into the camera, a news anchor; the other half was a scene of a large ship, or half of one, sinking slowly into the choppy ocean. On the side of the ship, she could clearly make out a large gash, a tear in the vessel, and scattered throughout the water, the floating bodies of no less than five men were visible. Nearby, a small dingy with a crew of men in red slickers were fishing the life-vest fitted body of one man out of the ocean. Habitually, Andria touched a hand to her lips. It was tragic. She couldn’t understand the writing on the screen, or the report being giving, but it looked as though the ship had run afoul of a protruding reef or rock formation, and then the crew had been ravaged by sharks, or jellyfish, or any number of horrifying creatures that inhabited the ocean. It made Andria a little thankful to have her feet planted safely on solid ground, even if she was in the lair of a 50 ft. Dragon.

“Yenko?” she called again, forgetting the T.V. A fire was burning in the hearth, as ever. Needing light to see by, Andria took a torch from the wall, and thrust it into the burning embers. The torch caught flame, and Andria removed it, shining it across the darkness of the wide-open lair. Almost immediately, she spotted Yenko, his shell clearly visible atop the dining table. Andria rushed towards him, holding the torch close enough to clearly see him by, but not close enough to make him overly hot.

“Yenko?” she whispered. He had retracted into his shell, as though he were sleeping. She tapped the top of his shell gently with her finger. No response.

Then, a sound more frightening and foreboding than thunder pierced the heavy air, the cawing of a Crow. Andria’s heart gave a leap of panic. At some point over the past several weeks, she had learned to fear the cawing of birds more than practically anything. The noise haunted her dreams. They were hunting her, waiting to seize control of her mind and paralyze her while some other fearsome, faceless beast came to finish her off.

Panic-stricken, Andria knocked loudly on Yenko’s shell. “Wake up!” she pleaded. If she had heard correctly, that unmistakable cawing like the laughter of a senile old mad-woman, then it, or they, was close overhead. Andria picked up the shell and shook forcefully. “Wake up! Wake up!” she pleaded.

Then, like a bucket of cold water hitting her brain, her mind went blank. She wasn’t even able to feel afraid that the Crows had taken control of her. She was completely blank, the voice of her conscience gagged as though invisible hands were choking it. She stopped moving, frozen in place with a torch burning in one hand, and an angry Turtle staring at her from the other. A voice in her head, Yenko’s voice, said simply, finally, Stop that.

As quickly as she had been overcome, she was released. She gaped at Yenko for a brief moment before gently placing him on all fours on the table. Thank you, he said.

“I’m sorry,” Andria whispered. “It’s just that while you were asleep, I heard a Crow, and I thought I should wake you.” Her heart still thumped madly from lingering fear.

I wasn’t asleep, the Turtle retorted defensively. I was busy finding out how our mutual friend is faring.

“Yuta?” Andria said anxiously. “How is he? Where is he at?” She took a seat at the table across from Yenko.

He’s alright. He’s close. Very close.

“So he’s near Mt. Fuji?” she asked. “What happens now?”

Yenko paused a moment before proceeding. It’s difficult to say with any real certainty. From here, it could go one of two ways. Andria stared at him blankly, waiting for him to continue. Yuta is planning to infiltrate the Assembly single-handedly.

“Can he do that?” Andria asked quizzically. “The Assembly, that’s important right? Won’t there be guards and defenses?”

Sure, the Turtle continued, but he can handle it. Getting in isn’t the hard part. Yuta’s particular abilities enable him to do many things most normal Dragons can’t. He has something of an unfair upper-hand. What is going to be tricky is maintaining that upper-hand once he’s inside, face to face with Kazi and the other eight Lords. What we need is a resolution, and to achieve that, some kind of agreement has to be reached ensuring your safety, as well as peace for Yuta and me.

Yenko paused to allow Andria an opportunity to pose any questions. When she said nothing he continued, Now, I say all this only to prepare you. When the time approaches, I may need to drop my defenses again. As you saw a few moments ago, I can only do so many things at a time. By dropping my defenses here for a couple minutes at a time, I’ve been able to correspond with Yuta over a long distance and check his status. Now that I know he’s close to infiltrating the mountain, it is very possible that he’s going to require some help. Very shortly, I’m going to drop my defenses here and maintain a constant connection with Yuta.

Yenko saw Andria’s eyes widen with panic. Don’t be afraid, he said. I will not lie, the longer I’m occupied, the more likely it is that the Crows will come. If they come, all they can do is bind your cognitive senses until someone else can show up. We know that no one is going to hurt you, and no one is close enough to be able to take you in the time that I’ll be detained. Remain calm, and all will be well; however, before I go MIA, I need you to do me a very important favor.

 

*          *          *          *          *         

Sparse, faintly glowing candelabras dimly lit the spacious cavern where Kazi paced. The red hue of his scales shone like fresh blood in the waning light. His large, intimidating talons clinked and scratched against the polished stone with every footfall. Like an angry jungle cat, he prowled the same confined space again and again, waiting for something to break the silence, some good news to come, some word from his Messenger that wasn’t yet another report of failure.

Kazi jolted with surprise when he heard the large double doors swing open, and recoiled against the flood of light that entered from the hallway. Standing in the door was an attractive woman in a black yukata, a light-weight kimono designed for comfort in the hot summer months. Her long, elegant hair, hung freely about her shoulders, a single streak of grey shining proudly down her back.“Word has arrived, Lord Kazi,” Mayumi said with an air of urgency.

Kazi felt an involuntary wave of relief spread over him. “And?” he asked, impatiently.

“The Assembly has convened to hear and discuss the news. A Dragon from Tokyo claims to have some information about the whereabouts of Yuta.” Kazi instinctively recoiled at the mention of Yuta’s name. Traitor. “She insists on having you present before saying anymore.”

Kazi sighed with impatience, but knew that any news that came about Yuta’s whereabouts was better than no news. And if he had been spotted, it meant that he was away from his lair, and that he had left his troublesome Messenger far to the north.

“Very well,” Kazi replied. “I’ll be with the Assembly shortly.”

The woman, Mayumi, gave Kazi a curt nod and left, closing the massive doors behind her. Alone once more, Kazi began the transformation process, recoiling, shrinking into himself, his red and black scales melting into pale, white skin. His face became mildly etched with barely visible wrinkles, a mark of his advanced years. He had kept his hair shaven once traces of grey had begun streaking his once-handsome mane of jet-black hair. Across his neck, from left ear to collar-bone, he bore a scar, a shameful token from the only battle he had ever lost; a battle he hoped to gain retribution for very soon.

Kazi hurriedly walked to a large cabinet at the back of the room, and pulled from it a yukata identical to the one Mayumi had been wearing. He rushed to tie the straps, and then reached back into the cabinet for a small, wooden box, a box he had opened and shut thousands of times in the past fifty years. Once more, he slid the lid off and from the velvet interior, carefully withdrew a small pouch hanging from a rope necklace. Habitually, he threw the rope around his neck, felt the small pouch to ensure that its contents were still safely within, and then tucked it into his robe, away from view. The rope could be adjusted to become larger should he need to leave in his full Dragon form, which was rare, but unless he was in his room, able to keep guard of this most valuable possession, it stayed on his person. Always. Where his scar was a miserable reminder of his failure all those years ago, in that single battle, this one item was his only trophy, his only consolation.

Kazi drew the cabinet doors shut again, and left his lair through the large double doors. The hallway outside was wide and well-lit with brilliantly burning torches. The lair was designed so that the door to the Assembly Hall was directly in front of him. As Kazi was king of the Race that inhabited Japan and the surrounding islands, his lair was on the top level, in close proximity to the Assembly Hall, treasury, and rooms of state. The other eight Lords occupied rooms on the levels below this one, connected by various staircases. 

Without pause, Kazi crossed the hall and flung open the large, stone doors. The Assembly Hall was perfectly circular, with torches and a large crystal chandelier keeping it well-lit. In front of the doors, a large, stately chair was placed, elevated five or six feet from the main floor. To either side, four more chairs were placed, each currently occupied by a different Lord, all adorned in the same matching yukatas, all elevated several feet above the woman who stood, short, but confident, in the center of the room.

Kazi took his place in his seat of honor, crossed his hands, and smiled down at the tiny woman before him. To the air he proclaimed, “Let the Assembly take note that this hearing has been convened.” One of the Lords sitting at the end of the row to his right began scribbling on a piece of parchment. “Now, we can begin with your name.” Kazi  directed at the woman.

“Yamaguchi Kazue,” she replied quickly.

“Let it be noted, Mrs. Yamaguchi, that anything you say now that we later find to be false may be used against you in a formal hearing, pending possible severe consequences.” Kazi repeated the statement as though he’d said it hundreds of times, and indeed he had. It was the opening statement of every hearing, criminal or informative, that was held in the Assembly Hall. Lying was not tolerated kindly. “Do you understand?”

“Yes, Lord Kazi,” she breathed with confidence.

“Good,” he replied. “Then we may proceed.” There was a nod of ascent from the other eight Lords. “Mrs. Yamaguchi,” Kazi addressed her. “What news do you bring in regards to the fugitive, Yuta Odashima? Let it be noted that should we find your information useful in making an arrest or preventing further damage by this particular outlaw, you will be rewarded a sum in congruence to the assistance given.”

“My Messenger spotted the outlaw Yuta in the act of committing a crime against the Race,” she stated proudly.

From Kazi’s right, Mayumi interjected, “Please inform the Assembly of the precise date, approximate time, and full description of the alleged crime.” She spoke as though she were reciting lines from a script she had memorized a hundred times over. Kazi was quickly becoming impatient with strict formality, but allowed the woman to continue.

“My Messenger-“

“Name and species.” One elderly gentleman to Kazi’s right demanded, without looking up from the document he was skimming.

“What?” the woman asked, confused.

“The name and species of your Messenger,” the elderly gentleman responded in a surly tone, adding spaces between every other word he spoke as though he were scolding a child.

“Yuki. Crow. Female,” the woman responded obediently. “I let her out to hunt when she channeled me from forty leagues off the coast with an image of a stark white Dragon aboard a fishing boat. There were humans aboard. Lots. They all saw him.”

“Can it be proven,” the man taking note interjected, “whether the Dragon in question was indeed the fugitive, Yuta?”

Mayumi responded quicker than Mrs. Yamaguchi could, “Do you know, Lord Ogawa, of any other white dragons within a 6,ooo mile radius?”

Lord Ogawa paused, and then said to Mrs. Yamaguchi, “Proceed.”

“It happened this afternoon, at about 2 p.m.” she continued. “After that, I ordered Yuki to keep a tail on him and send me frequent reports. As of three hours ago, he was aboard a fishing boat called the ‘Yokohama Duchess, ’in his human Form.”

Kazi’s heart leapt. He was close, she said. If such were true, they now had the advantage of being prepared when he drew closer. Yuta was uncommonly clever, Kazi had to admit. Even with their numbers and skill, maintaining the upper-hand would be a force of effort and perfect tactic.

“Three hours ago?” Lord Ogawa asked quizzically? “Is this what you’ve defined to your Messenger as frequent in a situation so dire to the defense of the Race?”

“I cannot account for Yuki’s delay,” Mrs. Yamaguchi responded, her voice cracking for the first time. Her glance shifted to the ground.  “I have been unable to contact her since that time.” She spoke in a barely audible whisper. From the corner of his eye, Kazi saw the surly, elderly Lord open his mouth to make a sharp retort, but silenced him with a wave of his hand.

“Mrs. Yamaguchi,” he asked her gently. “Do you have reason to fear that ill may have befallen your Messenger?”

Mrs. Yamaguchi tentatively looked up. Her eyes sparkled with unshed tears and her cheeks were red from the effort of remaining composed in the presence of her superiors. She replied quietly, “I do not know. I am worried, though. I have never gone so long without hearing from her.” Then the tears came. Like a volcano, she erupted into shaking sobs, hiding her tear-stained face in her hands. Kazi could feel a sense of outrage mounting in his colleagues. They did not know Yuta like Kazi did. To kill a Messenger. Such crimes were unspeakable among the Race, but nothing was out-of-bounds for Yuta. Nothing was sacred. Not the bonds between Master and Messenger, not maintaining the secrecy of the Race, not the connection between Mates. Every breath he took was an abomination.

“Madness,” Mayumi breathed to herself from her seat, her sympathetic eyes fixed on the trembling woman. A younger Lord near the end of the row rose and crossed the floor to Mrs. Yamaguchi, offering her a handkerchief. Mayumi leaned in close so only Kazi could hear, and asked, “Would he do it? Would he really kill a Messenger in cold blood?”

Kazi knew very well that he could, just as easily as he could ignore an established and ordained bond and kidnap Kazi’s rightful Mate. He gave Mayuumi no response.

Kazi broke the shocked silence, “Mrs. Yamaguchi,” he said loudly, but gently. “If something has happened to your Messenger, Yuki, you have my personal assurance that the Lords and I will do everything in our power to see that the criminal in charge is brought to full justice.” Even as he spoke, he knew his words were falling on deaf ears. He could only imagine the horror she must be imagining. To lose a Messenger was perhaps worse than losing a sibling, worse even than losing a child. It was congruent to losing a piece of your own soul. That Yuta could do something so ruthless was beyond reckoning. He had to be stopped. “In the meantime, however, let the Assembly note and acknowledge that Mrs. Yamaguchi Misaki will be given an award in the amount of three million yen, for her assistance in the case against Yuta Odashima, and for providing information regarding his whereabouts and further crimes against the Race.”

Mrs. Yamaguchi made a visible effort to control her flowing emotions long enough to choke out a quiet, “Thank you.”

“Hearing adjourned.” Kazi said finally.

Immediately, the assembly burst into excited, furious whispers. Lord Tsuchino, the treasurer of the assembly, took a key from around his neck and disappeared out the back door. Down the row, Lord Ogawa scribbled frantically onto a piece of parchment, taking careful note of every word that had passed during the hearing.

Lord Tsuchino returned a short moment later with an envelope containing the 5 million yen reward.  The Lords quieted as Tsuchino, young and handsome in his stately garb, crossed the hall, bowed and held out the envelope to Mrs. Yamaguchi with both hands. Shaking still, she bowed and took the envelope from him. By the way she sniffled and choked on her tears, one would assume she’d been handed a letter of foreclosure, rather than a sum equal to a full year’s wages.

“Lord Tsuchino, please escort Mrs. Yamaguchi to the entrance, and then have an escort see her safely, first to a bank to deposit her reward, and then to her home in Tokyo.”

Lord Tsuchino bowed his understanding and ascent and gently led Mrs. Yamaguchi by the arm through a set of double doors. The entrance to the actual mountain would take a few minutes to reach, however, and once he returned, there would have to be a meeting about the next course of action.

“This is a political nightmare,” Mayumi muttered. She leaned far back in her seat, rubbing the sides of her temples as though nursing a sudden, excruciating headache.

Kazi shot her a sharp look. “It’s nothing to what it will be if this goes any farther.” He was beginning to feel anxious for Tsuchino’s return.

“At least we have a heads-up, eh? Maybe now we can assemble some added backup, secure every possible perimeter.”

“Unless he’s already here,” Kazi said ominously.

Mayumi perked up. “She said that three hours ago, he was aboard a ship in Yokohama Harbor. He’ll be in his human Form, so moving slowly. Even by train, it would take him hours to arrive and then scale the mountain.”

“Remember, Mayumi,” he spat impatiently, “what overestimating this abomination gets us. We can never be certain.”

Then, thankfully, the door to the Grand Entrance swung wide, revealing Lord Tsuchino, brushing small flecks of snow from his black yukata. The Lords grew quiet once more as Tsuchino rejoined them and took his seat at the end of the row.

“Now,” Kazi said, the urgency of his words hanging heavily in the air. “I’m sure this goes without saying, but we have a very serious problem.” As he spoke, his heart began to beat wildly in his chest, though he kept his tone and words cool and collected. “Somehow Yuta Odashima has managed to elude our Messengers and draw dangerously close in a very short amount of time.”

“It’s that damn Turtle!” someone interjected hotly.

“I wasn’t judging the abilities of your Messenger, Lord Takazawa. He’s eluded mine as well.”

“Then why are our Messengers still up there, useless, when they could be setting up a secure perimeter, here?” Takazawa tartly retorted.

“Because,” Kazi began impatiently, “eventually, that Turtle is going to get tired, and then he’ll have no defense, even if it’s just for a brief window. When that time comes, our Messengers can get in, get the job done, and get out.”

“And look how well that has worked out for us,” a young, hot-tempered woman seated next to Tsuchino interjected. “Now, he’s here, and our Messengers are detained 400 kilometers north. It was foolish to send them all out to the same place at once.”

“It was our best option,” Kazi reminded, “for a quick and peaceable resolution. It may still work to our advantage. That Turtle is going to have to put his guard down soon. No Messenger, I don’t care if it’s kissed by the gods themselves, can keep up constant walls of defense against nine Crows for more than 24 hours. And then, she’ll be completely defenseless, completely unprotected, and therefore, retrievable. I have four Dragons in Aomori on standby to bring her here on my order.”

“Enough of this,” Mayumi said sharply. “We cannot presently change what has already been done. We need to focus our energy on what’s happening right now. We need a course of action.”

A few men continued to mutter discontentedly to themselves, but no one openly objected. “First,” Kazi began. “We need to secure the mountain and surrounding villages. It is possible that we’ve already been infiltrated, so we’ll perform a thorough sweep of every level. In the meantime, Lord Ogawa, write up an order to our guards at base 7 and tell them to shut down recreational climbing for the day. Have them claim inclement conditions, send all hikers back down the mountain, and hold anyone who resists for questioning. Once that is completed, write up a summons calling all Dragons in the surrounding area to be on alert. I want every Messenger within 100 kilometers circling the perimeter for anyone that resembles Yuta Odashima. Note that he’ll be in his human Form, thus more difficult to catch. If he is spotted, the Messengers are to strike without hesitation, and then immediately report to the Assembly.”

Lord Ogawa’s pen flew across the page while the other seven Lords listened intently. “Once we leave this Hall,” Lord Kazi continued, “resume your most powerful Form, and begin a sweep of all four levels. Remain in your Dragon Forms until further developments permit otherwise. Everyone understand?”

There was a general nod of ascent. “Dismissed,” Kazi said finally. All eight Lords sprang into action, hurrying to leave the hall, transform, and begin checking the halls and rooms for intruders. Kazi was slower to rise. His pulse raced wildly, his mind whirred faster than a bullet train. Yuta was finally returning. He had finally made an error stupid enough to justify the revenge Kazi had been dreaming of for nearly four centuries. It was because of him that his Mate had disappeared all those years ago, his fault that he had never heard from her again. And now, she had returned to Japan. Kazi felt her presence like a warm flame in his chest. It was unmistakable. She had come back, and Yuta was responsible for her kidnap. He would die. This day, Yuta would die, and Kazi would, at last, be whole.

           



© 2011 Amanda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

337 Views
Added on February 24, 2011
Last Updated on February 24, 2011


Author

Amanda
Amanda

About
I'm a small-town business student who loves to write. I have just recently completed the final draft of my first-ever manuscript, most of which can be found on my page under "The Race of Kings: The Dr.. more..

Writing
My Lot My Lot

A Poem by Amanda