Dinner Confrontation

Dinner Confrontation

A Chapter by Brink Day

CHAPTER

Willy spent the remainder of the afternoon down at the barn.  The menial tasks gave her plenty of time to think.  The Box Double L was the only home she’d ever known.  She’d been three when her father abandoned her at Leland’s ranch. She suspected Leland didn’t know her father’s background and had no contacts.   She knew he’d tried unsuccessfully for years to locate her mother.

Newly married to his second wife, Diane, the couple had made the decision to try to keep her rather than send her into the system.  She had become a part of their intermingled family that consisted of Leland, his son Lee who was nearly a teenager at the time, Diane, and her children, Michelle and Kirk. 

It’d been a blissful handful of years.  She remembered the fun they’d all had �" laughing and playing.  She also remembered the deep love and affection that Leland and Denise shared.  It was evident in the way they looked at each other, the way they kissed good morning and good bye. 

Leland had kissed her goodbye that fateful morning she got into her car and five miles down the road a semi ran a stop sign.  Leland had been devastated.  He’d picked up the pieces of his life, concentrated on the kids and his ranch, but he’d never been the same.   

Willy dreamt of having a love like that someday.  She wanted to be treasured and appreciated every day from the moment she woke up to the moment she went to sleep.  She needed to love someone unconditionally like that. 

Yet as much as she desired that, it scared her too.  She didn’t know if she could love someone with that determination and go on living if she lost them.  She wondered if that same fear had kept Lee from getting married two years ago when his engagement to Ashley had ended abruptly.  One moment it was on and then it was off.  In small towns, rumors often traveled, but that was one secret that hadn’t come out.  Lee remained tight lipped about it. 

Willy knew eventually she’d have to determine what she really wanted in life, but for now she was comfortable here.  Leland had told her many times she was welcome to stay as long as she wanted.  Forever was the word he used, but she knew that in time Leland would hand the reins of the ranch over to Lee and eventually the big house would be filled with Lee’s wife and children.

Lee had echoed his father’s words telling her too that she could stay forever, but things had been different between them since he returned from college six years ago.  Willy found a compromise.  She’d gained some separation by moving into her little apartment above the garage and she got to stay on the ranch.  She didn’t worry about her future here, but she did worry what would happen if Lee actually married Camille. 

With all her wool gathering, she’d lost track of time and realized she only had twenty minutes before dinner.  Maria would have a fit if she was late.  Maria had been Diane’s best friend.  The saintly woman had stepped in to help Leland raise the four motherless children.  She’d kept the house and fed them all.  She worked harder than anyone Willy knew.  For all her amazing qualities, there was one thing Maria disliked �"anyone being late for anything, particularly her dinner!  Willy dashed up to her apartment.  There she kicked out of her sweaty, dusty work clothes and threw them in the hamper as she strolled naked from her bedroom to the little bathroom with its relaxing blue gray walls and sand colored tile accents.

She showered and then got dressed in record time.  She glanced at herself in the long mirror mounted on the back of her bedroom door and wondered what it would be like to be petite and curvy like Camille.  She postured for a moment attempting to sink deeper into the ground and push her breasts out.  She smiled coyly, batted her eyelashes, and then giggled.  She tilted her head and looked at herself.  She’d always been leggy and thin, and personally she thought her legs were one of her best features.  Her face wasn’t striking or beautiful, but she’d been labeled as cute in the past.  She’d never look like Camille, and she was okay with that.  Skipping to the new house she decided she liked who she was.

Willy entered the foyer and turned down a short hallway to reach the big dining room. Leland sat in his usual place at the table. Just past sixty, Leland Glover remained a handsome man, but the ravages of cancer and its treatments wore on him. Small taut lines etched the corners of his lips and his dark eyes held the foggy look that occasionally came over them when he occasionally upped his pain meds.

 “Hello, Papa G.” Willy greeted Leland with a kiss on his weathered cheek. He gave her a warm smile and reached out to catch her hand.  Willy squeezed it and was reassured by the warmth of his fingers.  Releasing his hand she took her seat. 

Willy nodded at Clint.  He was nearly the father to her that Leland had been.   Clint had been a mainstay at Leland’s table for the past thirty years.  Thin, wiry, and grizzled he was a shrewd but loveable man.  Once you earned his respect he’d go to the ends of the earth for you. 

Lee escorted Camille into the room just seconds before Maria put dinner on the table. Where Camille came from they must dress for dinner. Everyone gawked at her in her exotic looking black sheath.  The modest dress should’ve appeared sleek and elegant but it hugged every curve of her body and exposed the pale, soft skin of her shoulders.  Her blond ringlets were piled atop her head in a way that appeared carefree and effortless but probably took an hour to create. However out of place her dress looked for their quiet dinner Willy instantly felt dowdy in her jeans and simple blue layered shirts.

Clint caught her eye and raised his eyebrows and looked pointedly at Lee. Willy had been so caught up in studying Camille that she didn’t even realize that Lee had chosen to dress for dinner as well. Willy clamped her lips together and tried not to laugh. He’d changed from his clean jeans into a pair of tan slacks. A white button down shirt hung from his powerful shoulders and accented his tanned face. He’d also shaved and the smell of aftershave wafted in with him. Willy didn’t fail to notice the possessive hold Camille had on Lee’s arm, her blood red nails standing out starkly against his white shirt.

“Dad, I’d like you to meet Camille Landin.  Camille, my father, Leland Glover.”

“Mr. Glover! I’m so happy to finally meet you! My father speaks highly of you.”

Leland chuckled and clasped Camille’s hand in both of his work worn hands. “Please call me Leland. Your father and I created a lot of memories between us. I’m glad you chose to take a little mini vacation at the Box Double L.”

“I am excited to be here.”

“Camille, you remember Willy Chase from earlier.  I’d like you to meet Clint Denfield, and this gorgeous woman flitting around with dinner is Maria Martinez.” 

Maria’s dark eyes twinkled as a blush stole across her cheeks.  She winked at Lee and said a quiet hello to Camille as she continued to set dishes upon the table. 

Camille smiled softly and wished them all a good evening.  With her hands fluttering uselessly she turned to Willy.  “I really must make amends for the strain I caused earlier.  I feel more myself now. Please consider this an apology.”

“It’s really Troy that you need to make amends to.” 

Leland looked at her in surprise, but Willy felt no remorse.  At that moment Maria bustled in with another dish of food. She gave Willy a look that said she’d arrived none too soon.  Maria suggested everyone start serving themselves as she fussed over Leland, placing a bowl of one of his favorites, steamed broccoli in front of him.  The scent of homemade dinner rolls fresh from the oven and piled high on the dinner table distracted Willy and she tried not to notice the disapproving look Lee gave her.

Maria slipped the best cut of meat to Clint, and Willy tried not to smile.  For as long as Willy could remember the couple had been infatuated with one another. The pair seemed oblivious to the fact that everyone knew of their fixation.  When they were kids the four of them always conspired to get the pair together, but every crazy attempt had always failed for one reason or another. 

 

 

Lee hoped if he stayed close to Camille that his dad the impression that he was interested in Camille.  If his finding him a woman kept his dad focused on life, then Lee would do his part to be interested.  Staying close to Camille wasn’t proving to be difficult.  She sat close enough that he’d begun to feel claustrophobic.    

Camille made an effort to engage with his dad, her tinkling laugh ringing out at his dad’s poor jokes.  His dad lapped up the attention.  A couple of times during dinner his dad would get quiet and fixate on a point in the distance.  That distant removed look had been happening a lot lately.  Lee couldn’t tell if it was his father’s way of dealing with pain or if he was just daydreaming about a future that he may never see. He glanced up to see that Willy was watching his dad’s interaction with Camille.  She wore a concerned expression on her face.   She’d noticed his dad’s reaction as well.

Willy caught him looking at her and she met his eyes bravely.  For most of the evening, Willy had kept her head down and concentrated on her meal.  Now she watched him, her blue eyes penetrating.  He’d have to convince Willy that he had interest in Camille or he’d never fool his father. 

 “So Willy, I just have to ask. Wherever did you come by your name?”

Heads at the table swiveled from Camille to Willy.  Out of the corner of his eye he saw Camille smile.  To Willy she must resemble a rapid wolf.      Willy’s eyes narrowed and her lips thinned out into a frown.  Lee caught his breath and waited to see how Willy would respond.

“I was named after my Great Aunt.”

Willy’s response was clipped when she used the excuse that his dad had always given her when she’d asked about her name.  Lee didn’t know if it was true or not, but at least Willy had believed the story when she was eight.  Her gaze fluttered to Leland who gave her an encouraging smile.  

“Willy’s full name is Katherine Willameena,” Leland supplied proudly. 

Camille dabbed daintily at her face with a napkin.  “Interesting!  And how do you fit into this picture?”

“Excuse me?” Willy said, disbelief creeping into her voice. 

“You don’t share the Glover last name and you don’t look like any of them, so I just wondered how you fit into the picture.”

Lee knew that Camille hit a nerve with Willy.  As a child he knew Willy struggled with her father’s abandonment.  Lee read the distress in her eyes.  She opened her mouth to respond, but no sound came out.    He couldn’t let Camille pick on her.

“She’s family,” he growled out. 

A look from Willy communicated her gratefulness.  Her lips tilted the slightest bit into a smile for his benefit.  A quick glance at his dad confirmed that his dad agreed with him. 

“I see,” Camille said with a fake smile that said she really didn’t understand.  Lee’s response should have suggested an end to the conversation, but Camille wasn’t done with Willy yet.  Her eyes opened dramatically as she asked “So Willy, how do you like being one of the few women on this ranch?”

Willy put down her fork and met Camille’s challenging gaze.  Willy looked ready to battle, and Lee found himself waiting to see what happened. 

“I like it. Being the only young woman around all these men certainly has…” she paused for effect,  “its advantages.”

Lee choked on the sip of water he’d just taken.  He broke into a fit of coughing so hard that Clint pounded him on the back. Through the watery tears in his eyes he noticed the defiant tilt of Willy’s head. She just had making things up.

He and his father were selective about the men they hired for the ranch.  After he caught one of the part timers watching Willy a little too closely they’d stuck to long time, faithful employees, people like Clint who were too old to turn Willy’s head or Ronnie, who went home to his wife and kids every night.  Troy was the only exception to that.  They’d hired him when Kirk went off to college.  Troy had proven to be a perfect employee, and Lee had never seen anything but friendly affection between the Willy and him. 

Camille looked momentarily surprised then nodded sagely at Willy. Lee looked at his father.  Instead of being as horrified as Lee felt, his dad was smiling as if he knew some big secret.  His dad rescued the conversation and directed it to safer topics, but Lee noticed the two women were studying one another.  He suspected they weren’t done with one another yet.     

 



© 2015 Brink Day


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on April 28, 2015
Last Updated on April 28, 2015


Author

Brink Day
Brink Day

MN



About
I'm a mother of three kids, work full time, and consider writing an escape and hobby. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Brink Day


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brink Day