Dinner Challenges and Another Shoe

Dinner Challenges and Another Shoe

A Chapter by Brink Day

CHAPTER

Lee sat in his office.  He was ineffectively attempting to work, but he couldn’t get the thought of Willy standing in front of him in a contrast of innocent white and racy red lace out of his head.  Who knew she dressed like that? 

When he had gone down to the bunkhouse and heard her laughing with the guy he’d been insanely jealous.  It should’ve been him that she was laughing with. He’d managed to rein in his emotions, but it had cost him some of his dignity.

He thought he was fortunate the past couple days had passed without any issues.  Camille had taken an interest in the ranch and even asked him if when he was busy is Troy could help her.  He thought the request was odd considering how much she disliked Troy in the beginning.  Troy hadn’t objected, and Lee thought the the pair decided to get along. 

Lee believed all was well until a knock at the door pulled him from his thoughts.  Troy looked nervous as he stepped into the small room with its oversized oak desk that his father had rescued from a friend’s estate sale.  Troy’s dark, strong hands were clenched in front of him. Maria must have told Troy where to find him.  Normally they both would be out working at this time in the morning not meeting in an office.

“Morning, Troy.  What’s up?”

“I have a family emergency and need to head home.”

“I’m sorry.  What kind of emergency?  Can I help?”

“It’s nothing big.  My brother broke his leg and needs someone to run the family business.”

“Family business?”  Lee felt intrigued.  Troy had always been a hard worker and a quick learner.  While he hadn’t really fit the mold of people out here, his good work ethic and jovial attitude let him make friends everywhere he went.  He hadn’t talked a lot about his past.

“A hardware store outside of Chicago.  I never thought I’d be going back there.”  He shook his head and a sad look came over his face.  Lee wondered what part of Chicago Troy grew up in that he didn’t want to go home. 

“Is it a necessity?”

“I’m afraid so.  His wife is eight months pregnant and on bed rest.  I’m sorry to leave you shorthanded and on short notice.”

“Family should come first.  We’ll survive.  When do you think you’ll be back?”  Troy looked at his feet for a moment before raising his head and looking at Lee.  The look staggered Lee like a punch to the gut.  “You’re not coming back, are you?” 

“I don’t know.  Your guest doesn’t seem to like me.”

“Troy, she requested time with you.  Has she been making trouble?”  The uneasy feeling in his stomach tripled with Troy didn’t answer.  “If that’s the reason you’re leaving-“

“It’s not.  Tad needs me to come home.  My grandpa started the business. I can’t walk away from it.” 

“You’re family to us, too, Troy.  You’ll always have a job here if you want it.”

“I appreciate it.  I’ll keep in touch.”

“When are you leaving?”

“I’m all packed up �" not a lot to pack anyway.  I really am sorry for leaving you shorthanded.”

“You have to do what’s right for you.  I get that.”  Troy had been here for four years.  “We will miss you though.  Did you tell anyone else you were leaving?  Does Willy know?”

“I talked to Ronnie before I came up here.  I tried to call Willy to tell her I was leaving.  I hoped I’d catch her before I left.”

Lee ran a hand through his hair.  He’d purposely had Ronnie send Willy and Clint to push the cattle to one of the farthest pastures because it would keep her away from the house and away from Camille all day.  Once she came home and found Troy gone, Lee knew Willy would be upset.  “I’m sorry, Troy, she won’t be back until late.”

Troy stood up his hand and held out his hand.  “That’s alright.  I’ll try calling her again.  Lee, it’s been a pleasure working here �" for you and Leland.  I appreciate all you’ve done for me.”

“And we appreciate all you’ve done for us.  I’m serious, Troy, when I say there will always be a job for you.  Give me five minutes and I’ll get your final paycheck put together.”

Lee cut Troy’s final paycheck and added a bonus for the man’s hard work.  He knew Troy was in a difficult position.  Lee had no hard feelings.  He understood needing to do things for your family.  Now all he had to do was find a replacement on short notice.  After Troy said his goodbyes to everyone and picked up his check, Lee made a call to his stepbrother, Kirk. 

Kirk listened to Lee’s dilemma and then promised to get back to him in a bit as he thought he had an answer but had to call someone first.  Lee next called his stepsister, Michelle.  He was proud of her for graduating college and living the life of her dreams with her husband.  He missed her and typically enjoyed talking to her, but he didn’t enjoy the lengthy conversation he was forced to have with her when asking her about a decent salon and a place to buy women’s shoes.  Michelle had laughed and asked many questions, too many questions.

Lee reconciled himself with taking Camille into town today.  He had promised her a new pair of boots and he intended to keep his promises.  He dropped her off at the spa salon, took a couple hours to manage some business in town, and returned later to take her to lunch. 

During lunch Camille acted happy and flirted lightly with him.  While she ate a dainty salad she asked about the town and its history.  Lee found the outing genuinely pleasant.  Afterwards they went to look for her boots.  She surprised him by not wasting any time.  She’d already researched the town and knew exactly where she wanted to shop. When they arrived at the store she wasted no time in selecting the boots she wanted.  Lee ended up purchasing the most expensive pair of boots he’d seen, but if it made her happy and made amends for the disastrous water drenching it was worth it.   

Lee returned home in time to greet a young man who turned up on his doorstep.  Aaron introduced himself and told Lee that Kirk had sent him to replace Troy.  Aaron had been going to school with Kirk, but ran into financial problems with his schooling.  He worked currently, but the job wasn’t a good fit.  Lee’s job offer was precisely what Aaron needed �" a roof over his head and a steady paycheck so he could save enough to go back to school.  Aaron had been so excited for the opportunity that he drove straight out hoping to catch Lee. 

Lee introduced Aaron to his dad.  The three of them discussed a starting wage and the rules of the place.  Aaron seemed to be a likeable, good kid.  Lee hoped he worked out.  His dad seemed tickled at the prospect of new blood on the place and started playing twenty questions with Aaron as if he had a hidden agenda.  It was only after his dad asked Aaron if he had a girlfriend that Lee get an inkling of what his old man was after.  Since his dad seemed to have connected Lee and Camille together in a form of romance, he was now looking at the new guy as a possible interest for Willy. 

Lee quelled the moment of panic as he imagined Willy dating the new guy.  He frowned at his father.  They knew nothing about this guy.  He hadn’t even done a day’s work yet. For all they knew they’d have to send the guy packing tomorrow.

 “Dad, please.  I’m sorry, Aaron.  My dad means well, but let’s just be clear.  Willy is family and when she’s working she gets the same treatment as the guys and the same amount of respect everyone on the ranch deserves.” 

He made sure his voice, face, and eyes brooked no argument or questions.  The younger man seemed to get the point.  A glance at his dad, told him the older man was amused. 

“Come on. I’ll show you the bunkhouse.” 

 

 

Ronnie headed home for the day, so Lee kept an eye out for Willy and Clint.  He anticipated them they’d be home by late afternoon.  He wanted to tell them about Troy’s family emergency and introduce them to Aaron before they ran into him.  He saw them ride up but wasn’t quick enough to intercept them when they arrived at the barn.  He rounded the corner of the barn just in time to hear Aaron introduce himself as the new hire.  He watched confused looks wash over the faces of Willy and Clint.  Willy caught the sound of his footsteps and looked at him for explanation as he came into the barn.

“Troy had a family emergency and had to leave town on short notice.  This is Aaron.  He’s a friend of Kirk’s who graciously chose to join us.  Aaron, this is Clint and Willy.” 

Lee thought Aaron caught his dad’s not so subtle attempt to set Aaron up with Willy, but Aaron must not have anticipated that Willy was both young and attractive because Aaron was openly gawking at Willy.  She looked like she looked every day.  Her well-worn jeans hugged long, lean legs and a simple long sleeve t-shirt modestly hid her curves.  Her intelligent, blue eyes sparkled in a face that was beautiful, fragile, and feminine with a pert nose and high cheekbones.

“Welcome to the Box Double L.”

Clint scrutinized the newcomer.  Willy gripped the reins of her favorite horse a little too tightly.  He could read the tension in her eyes. 

“Welcome.  I hope you like it here.”

“I like it better every minute,” Aaron said suggestively.

Lee frowned at Aaron in disapproval.  He didn’t like Aaron’s tone or the way he looked at Willy.  She seemed oblivious to Aaron’s interest though and excused herself from the group to unsaddle Jack. 

 

The men were still chatting after she made quick work of stalling her horse, so she headed to her apartment. Ol’ Blue met her at the barn door with a wag of his short tail.  The Blue Heeler cross had been a mainstay of the barnyard since Lee had brought him home one weekend years ago.  The dog was supposed to be a ranch dog, and he had been for years.  He’d bonded strongly to Willy though and when Willy moved into the apartment the old dog had moved from the barn into the apartment with her too.  Now he teetered along beside her. 

When Blue was settled in his little orthopedic bed that supported his arthritic joints, she headed for her peaceful little bathroom for a long, hot shower.  She washed her hair and then lathered it with scented conditioner.  As that worked its magic on her hair she leaned against the wall and let the warm water course over her body. 

She considered the new guy and Troy’s departure.  Meeting the dark haired stranger in the barn had surprised her.  She couldn’t believe Troy left without a goodbye. She’d need to call him and get the real scoop.  He’d been a good friend who never shirked work.  His sense of humor made working with him a pleasure.  He’d grown up in the ghetto of Chicago, and she knew he never wanted to go back there.  She wondered what had changed his mind. 

She stayed in her shower until the water turned lukewarm.  She didn’t hurry.  Despite Maria’s rules, today Willy was in no hurry to be rushed.  When she strolled into the big house five minutes late, she came to a shocked halt. 

Camille sat at the head of the table in Leland’s normal spot.  Her white ruffled sleeveless top showed off her abundant assets.  Her wealth of blond hair was piled skillfully atop her head with little ringlets of curls framing her perfectly made up face.  She looked extremely comfortable with her head tucked close to Lee’s as they carried on a private conversation. 

Willy cast her eyes frantically about the room until she spotted Leland sitting in her own normal spot.  She breathed a sigh of relief.  Leland’s color reminded her of how a picture left in the sun too long faded away, but he sat up straight and his brown eyes were bright when he looked at her.

 “About damn time you got here!” he thundered.

Willy’s eyes flew to meet his.  She sidled closer, laid a warm hand on his shoulder, and kissed his cheek, her breath a dusting on his face.  “I’m sorry, Papa G. I didn’t mean to keep you waiting.”

“I was teasing.  I missed you.  You know I love you.”

Willy felt Lee’s dark eyes on her now, and she wondered what he was thinking.  With trepidation she took the only seat remaining which placed her between Clint and Lee.  She didn’t want to sit this close to Lee.  She’d bet money that he sent her away today so she wouldn’t be near Camille.  Because she’d been so far from the ranch house she’d missed saying goodbye to a good friend.  Troy had left her a message, but she hadn’t gotten a good signal until she got home and realized she had a message.

A sideways glance caught Lee looking curiously at her like he’d never seen her before.  Now that Camille had been here for a couple days he must’ve grown tired dressing for dinner. He wore his normal blue jeans, boots, and a casual blue shirt. She could understand Camille’s attraction to him.  If she didn’t think of him like a brother she might even find him attractive with his handsome face and dark hair. 

She tried to ignore him, but it was difficult with his shoulder and thigh only inches away from hers.  As always, all she had to do was close her eyes and just feel his presence.  He didn’t encroach on her space, but she was aware of his every movement.  It had always been that way for her where Lee was concerned. 

She turned her attention to her Maria’s fabulous slow cooked barbecued ribs and dug into them with gusto.   It topped Willy’s list of all-time favorite meals that Maria cooked.  Her recipe had evolved over the years until it’d become a legend in itself.  It was one of her specialties and she’d won several local cook-offs with the recipe. 

“Will, how does the grass up there look?”

Willy, who had been daydreaming about the days prior to Camille’s appearance, took a moment before she realized Lee had been speaking to her. The only thing Willy didn’t like about Maria’s ribs was the fact that it was nearly impossible to eat them without getting dirty.  She laid down her fork and swiped self-consciously at her chin with her napkin. Camille smirked at her. 

Willy put her head back down and didn’t look at Lee when she spoke.  “Grass looks decent.”  

“Figured it would be,” he mumbled. 

“Seemed a bit early to move the cows with calves that far out.”

She looked up then as she waited for his response.  His eyes were unreadable, but he gave a slight inclination of his head acknowledging her point.  She guessed he knew now that she was annoyed at him for several reasons.  He didn’t try to initiate any more conversation with her.

Sitting this close to Lee, Willy couldn’t help but overhear the constant flirtation between him and Camille.  Dinner wasn’t half over yet and Willy lost her appetite.  Even Maria’s ribs couldn’t entice her anymore.

“It’s a shame Troy left in such a hurry.”

Clint’s comment was directed at no one in particular but to everyone at the same time.  She gave Clint a small smile.  Thankful for the distraction, she addressed Clint. 

“I can’t believe he’s gone.”   

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Lee’s head snap up and she could feel his eyes boring into her.  Maria carted in a refill of ribs and the silence held while she filled the serving dish then sat down at her own place at the table. 

“Troy’s brother broke his leg and he needed someone who knew the family business.  There was no other reason than that.”

“Do you really believe the reason he gave for leaving?  Willy spoke to Clint and pretended Lee didn’t even comment. 

When Clint shrugged Willy suspected this would be one of the times Clint kept his own counsel.  Willy turned her head and looked at Lee.  Their gazes met, clashed and held, neither one of them wanted to look away.  No one wanted to be declared the loser. 

“Troy said he never wanted to go back there.”

“Life is filled with tough choices, Will.”

“Really?  And what tough choices have you made?”

“Children!”  Leland cautioned as if he was talking to a bunch of little kids. 

Blue and brown eyes met in a battle of wills. Everyone watched them, silverware frozen in the air.  Not wanting to further disappoint Leland, Willy turned away.  She could feel Lee’s eyes on her for a moment, but she forced herself to push a forkful of potatoes into her mouth.   There they stuck like glue, and she struggled to swallow them without choking herself.  The only sound was the clink of silverware on plates as people finished their dinner. 

Lee leaned in close to speak for her ears only.  “Troy was sorry he couldn’t say goodbye.” 

Willy shot him a glare that would’ve intimidated a lesser person.  He shrugged indifferently; she went back to pushing her food around her plate. 

At the end of the meal Camille offered to help clear the dishes. Since Camille didn’t appear to be the cheery homemaker type Willy thought Camille’s offer was odd.  Camille minced around the table as she collected her plate and Lee’s.  Willy noted that Lee’s head and eyes followed Camille’s movements. 

Willy watched in disbelief as Camille executed the perfect napkin drop.  When the napkin fell it landed directly between Lee and Willy. Camille bent down slowly offering Lee an unobstructed view of her breasts in the cleavage of her shirt.

            Leland and Clint were so engrossed in their conversation about the ranch and grazing issues that they didn’t notice the display.  Spurred by frustration and anger, Willy slid her chair back quickly where it collided with Camille. Camille scrambled to stand upright and catch her balance.  She clutched at Lee who instinctively reached out a powerful arm to catch her.  Rocking precariously, Camille toppled the plates she held onto the table with a clatter.  A water glass tipped and rolled spilling water across the table.  Clint lurched to his feet to avoid the growing puddle of water from dropping into his lap.    

“Camille!  What on earth were you doing back there?” Willy tried hard to keep her voice sweet and innocent as she grabbed a napkin and started mopping up the mess. 

“Oh! I broke a heel!” Camille cried, ignoring Willy’s false concern.  She clung to Lee as she pulled off her shoe and wailed at the damage done to her fine Italian shoe.

“You’re lucky you didn’t break you neck walking around in those shoes,” Clint commented.

Maria burst in from the kitchen.  Her arms upraised as if all hell had broken loose instead of just a plate and a glass.  “What did you all do!?!”

Camille shot an angry look at Clint and then an equally smoldering glance at Willy before she leaned down and planted a long slow kiss on Lee’s lips. “Thank you for catching me.” She turned and left the room with as much dignity as she could muster limping on one shoe.

“I think I’ve lost my appetite. I’m going to call it a good night.  Maria, Papa G, Clint, good night.” Willy rose quickly and made a hasty retreat for the door. 

 

 

Lee blinked rapidly and then glanced around him.  What had just happened?  One second he was enjoying the view that Camille offered and the next she’d been nearly thrown into his lap.  He raised his eyes skyward.  The last thing he wanted was another trip to town to go shoe shopping.  Now he’d have to suffer through it and buy her another new pair of shoes!   

He glanced around the table.  Clint and his dad were sitting almost opposite of him and watching him curiously.  Maria paused in cleaning up the mess to stare at him too.   

“Willy did that on purpose, didn’t she?”

Clint gave an offhanded shrug.  Lee’s question spurred Maria into action, and she finished collecting the dishes. 

“Dad?” 

Leland looked at his son for a full second before he nodded.  Lee sighed. 

“I don’t imagine either of you two are going to do anything about it?”

“Not my fight, son.”  Clint said as he held up his hands in surrender.  Maria gave him a less than subtle bump with her hip.  Clint shot her a startled look and then a sheepish grin crossed his grizzled face. 

“My bones hurt tonight.  I’m could catch her at her apartment...maybe.”  Leland slowly pushed himself up from the table.

“Forget it.  I’ll talk to her.” 

The sun was fading down over the hills in the distance.  Willy had made it halfway across the yard, her long legs eating up the ground as she made a beeline for her apartment.  He understood Willy was upset over Troy.  After all, they’d worked closely for four years, but Lee knew there was more bothering her than just Troy.  Despite their conversation the other night, she didn’t seem inclined to be nice to Camille.  He’d been able to feel the animosity flowing from her. 

When Lee stepped off the porch a strong evening wind caught at his hair and pressed his shirt against his chest.  A storm seemed to be brewing and he wasn’t sure it was simply the weather.  Gravel crunched under his feet as jogged to close the gap between them.  “Willy, wait!”

Willy paused when she heard his voice and spun defensively.  The look on her face told him she had hoped to reach the sanctuary of her apartment before anyone had realized what happened.  He was close enough to see a bit of hectic red color make its way up her cheeks.    

 “What’s up?”

“You did that on purpose.”

“What on purpose?”

She played dumb, but Lee knew she was lying.  She’d always been a poor liar.  “You knocked into Camille.”

“Now why would I do that?”   She started to squirm under his scrutiny and wouldn’t meet his eyes.  The pressure became too much and she cracked.  “Did you ever think that maybe she’s just clumsy? After all she dropped the napkin!”

“I thought you didn’t see her bending over to pick it up.”

Willy’s blue eyes glinted. “I’m pretty sure she wasn’t bending over to retrieve the napkin.”

“Regardless.  Your actions were mean and childish.  She could’ve gotten hurt.”

“Childish?” Willy’s voice rose. “And with such a big, strong man as yourself around I’m sure you wouldn’t have let anything happen.” 

Lee wanted to strangle her.  “Childish,” Lee’s voice hardened.

“And her behavior was any better? You might not have minded the picture she presented, but I hardly needed to see her breasts.” 

Most of the time having Camille around was an irritation, but there moments like this evening when he didn’t mind.  If someone like Camille went out of their way to provide him with a pretty picture, he didn’t mind looking.  He didn’t plan on it going any further than that anyway.  He never had any intention of having anything but a platonic relationship with Camille.  He humored her because he’d been raised to be polite, and he wanted his dad to see an opportunity, not because there really was one. 

Seeing the defiant tilt of Willy’s chin, he almost smiled.  There was no doubt she probably hadn’t enjoyed the picture Camille demonstrated.  Especially considering the idea of doing something so blatantly sexual never entered Willy’s mind.  He tried to picture her dressed femininely with a low cut blouse and posturing like Camille. 

His eyes perused up and down her body.  The form fitting jeans hugged her like a second skin, and he decided in their own right that was seductive enough. Picturing her in a low cut top with her breasts pushed up set him to sweating.  Silently he swore.  Where had that thought come from?  He never thought of Willy like that.  That made him damn uncomfortable. 

“You know Troy left because of her,” Willy slung at him. 

 “I already explained the reason Troy left. She had hardly any interaction with Troy.”

“You explained the reason he gave you.  Clint said that she made some really nasty and derogatory remarks about his color when she first met him.”

“What!? I never heard that!” 

“Maybe you should pay more attention. “

Uncomfortable with his prior thoughts and angered that Clint had talked to her and not to him he snapped at her.  “I don’t need to justify why an employee left. That is none of your business.  You weren’t here when he left, and I’m not going to let you question me on this.” 

Willy sucked in a breath and glared at him. “I wasn’t here because I was working instead of sitting around on my a*s making a fool out of myself over a down on her luck divorcee looking for free handouts.”

“Willy, you’re going too far,” Lee warned.

“What? Are you going to try to spank me like you did when I was thirteen?”

They were well matched in anger, but Lee tried to keep his in check. Even back then Willy had been maddening. His father had been completely livid when he’d found out that Lee had spanked Willy as if she was a child not a blooming teenager.

“If I have to,” Lee sneered.  He itched to get his hands on her.

“My God, Lee! I am not a child!”

“Then prove it and don’t act like one!”

Willy threw up her hands in submission. Without a word, she spun away from him and headed to her apartment.  She stormed into her apartment and slammed the door.   



© 2015 Brink Day


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on April 30, 2015
Last Updated on April 30, 2015


Author

Brink Day
Brink Day

MN



About
I'm a mother of three kids, work full time, and consider writing an escape and hobby. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Brink Day


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Brink Day