Chapter I - The Order

Chapter I - The Order

A Chapter by Alagar

Previous Version
This is a previous version of Chapter I - The Order.



 

Chapter I – The Order
          The slowly dying sky is painted in a deep, russet color as it set in the distant horizon. The air is crackling with power as two hooded figures appear from out of the distance, both surrounded by an aura, one blue, one red. As the sun sets behind them, Aaron asks,
“You know nightfall is quickly approaching, right?”
“Yes I do. But it is all ok. We are here” Kevin replies, stopping in his tracks on the edge of a cliff face.
“Where is here?” Aaron inquires, sarcastically, “There’s nowhere to go.”
“Here,” Kevin says turning, raising a hand out past the edge, “is the Order of Mages”
Out of the black of the quickly approaching night, shadows start to dance around in the air in front of them, revealing all at once a magnificent stone citadel sitting a hundred feet in front of them on an enormous cone-shaped platform of rock floating in the sky. In the oncoming dusk, fog surrounds the hovering city, sending the shadows fleeting all about it. A wondrous stone bridge is stretched across the vast distance between the fortress and the threshold where the cliff dives down into the abyss. Flaming torches light themselves in pairs as they progress across the bridge toward the two standing in darkness.
Kevin leads the way across the now fully illuminated bridge, as Aaron follows in silent amazement and awe. The castle-like fortress extends hundreds of feet into the pitch black night sky as dozens of spires stretch effortlessly upward.
 
            Treading softly in the darkness, they cross the bridge in a relatively short period of time, finally arriving at the massive oak door and portcullis standing in front of them. The gate is intricately carved with runes along the edges as well as two dragons masterfully carved into the stone on both sides and one larger dragon directly above the doorway.  Kevin conjures black fire around his hands and sends it from him to outline each of the five dragons. The dragon’s eyes turn a shimmering red and a loud crack shakes the ground beneath their feet. The massive wooden doors swing open effortlessly and an entire central hall is revealed.
“This is the Order of Mages,” Kevin explains as they walk through the entryway, “where magic wielding beings of all sorts and nature come to train and/or hone his or her skills. The problem is, you see, recently there has been a shortage of magic wielders, and well, frankly, it’s become a quite dangerous job over the past few years and nobody seems to be willing to take the risks anymore.”
“And would you like to explain to me who volunteered me for this?” Aaron says scrupulously.
“I did,” Kevin replied strictly, “but we’ll talk more of this once we are in the Council of Elders.”
“Which is where we are going now.” It wasn’t a question.
 
            The two continue to walk through the halls of the main chamber, continuously gaining more stares around every corner they turn. Eventually they come up to another pair of large wooden doors, both with gold metal knockers. The doors are also adorned with two large lion heads about halfway up in the center of each door. Once again the doors swing open by themselves and the pair enter a large chamber. The walls are lined with red velvet and a dozen men sit behind a long table in the middle of the room.
“Many greetings young Kevin,” the man in the center said as he stood. He is dressed in a plain white cotton shirt with a collar and cut in a ‘v’ down the center, a royal blue robe open in the front sat on his shoulders, and the same color blue sash holding it to his waist. He has long, flowing metallic silver hair and shimmering liquid silver eyes. A finely trimmed white beard reaches from ear to ear. “And hail young traveler”
“Greeting Master Lorien,” says Kevin walking up to stand five feet in front of the table. He then bows deeply and Master Lorien does the same.
“And who might this be?” Lorien says as he turns to Aaron.
Aaron steps forward and offers the same bow. “My name is Aaron. I was a wandering traveler when your mage, Kevin, found me.”
“Actually Kevin is what you call a Warlock, there are differences, but you shall learn.”
“And who says he shall?!” a tall, short grey haired man, with strands of white in it, stands abruptly, pounding his fist on the table. He is finely dressed in a dark grey vest and a deep crimson tailcoat adorned with gold buttons all the way up. His face is middle aged with multiple scars on it, and his eyes were set deep and old…dark…treacherous. He has a brown, also graying beard and goatee, also finely trimmed.
“Sit down, Colbalt,” says a gentleman calmly sitting beside Lord Colbalt in a stern, but controlled voice. This man was much younger and dressed in a dark green, hooded ranger’s cloak.
“Who is to say that this….ruffian!,  that you picked up in the middle of nowhere,” continues Colbalt, ignoring the Ranger known as Lord Gamble, “should even be permitted to join our Order, much less become a…..”
“That is quite enough. I trust in Kevin’s decision and if he thinks he must be trained as a Mage, then that he shall,” Lorien said, cutting Lord Colbalt Enroy off mid-sentence.
“But he cannot be allowed to skip so many levels! He must be trained a tyro, then a magician, then he must be apprenticed, and he must…”
“We are all well aware of the training required here, Master Colbalt, but Master Kevin has determined…”
 
“To hell with Kevin! He is no member of this council! The only reason he is where he is now is because of the shortage and you know it!” Lord Colbalt shouts at the High Counselor. Out of rage, Kevin sprouts black fire from his palms, sneering at the Lord.
Numerous Masters jump to their feet, ready to assist in accordance  to where their allegiance lies.
Enough!” explodes Lorien, “I will not  have this council fighting amongst ourselves. I am quite confident in Master Kevin’s judgment, Master Colbalt. Unless you wish an attempt to undermine my authority and be dismissed from this council, this discussion is closed.”
Lord Colbalt curses under his breath then slowly sits down, as does the rest of the council.
“Now Kevin, please proceed to explain your experiences.”
Kevin, realizing he is still holding the black flames, releases them. He then proceeds to tell of allthe events that had taken place that very day.

 



© 2009 Alagar




Reviews

Ah, getting interesting. Work on your tense usage and it'll be fine. I rather like how the council bickers with one an other. Can't wait to see what heppens next!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 7, 2009
Last Updated on February 8, 2009


Author

Alagar
Alagar

Indiana, PA



About
Currently enrolled as a Geography Major at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania and continuing to write the novel I have been working on for many a year now; The Order of Mages. Feeling an increase .. more..

Writing
Tomes I Tomes I

A Chapter by Alagar


Tomes Revised Tomes Revised

A Chapter by Alagar