Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

Alerial's story begins and the quest she is on grows wider.

"

C H A P T E R

 

3

 

 

    "They should be ashamed of themselves," Alerial said, closing the door of the room she shared with Anaya. She threw herself onto her bed and bit her lip in frustration. "Those grumpy Hedge Wizards are coy as ever. I'm beginning to suspect even the Sister's are going to want to know why he is being kept away from everyone!"

 

    Anaya raised an eye brow and looked up from the sewing she had been doing before Alerial had come in. She was halfway through with the shirt and was tempted to continue doing it. She looked over at Alerial and gave an inward sigh. Her charge would need some attention. She set the needle work aside carefully and smooth over the dress she was wearing.

 

    "You know Sister Abelah is down to evading my questions now," Alerial said.  She blew hair out of her face and twisted her hair into a quick braid. "He hasn't been seen in a week. Not since I felt the subtle twist of the music. It has to be him, Anaya. It sang around him from the moment I saw him."

 

    "Don't frown so much," Anaya said. "I felt the tug too. The question that we should be asking is what did he do that required so much of the power that he is being hidden and somehow cloaked. The Cabal should have invested more resources in the study of Elemental magic. I didn't know a source of power that strong as the boy could be hidden."

 

    "They hardly leave their grounds," Alerial added. "When they do they act like I don't exist. They won't answer a single thing I ask of them. Arrogant insufferable--"

 

    "Language!" Anaya gave Alerial a sharp look.

 

    Alerial shrugged and fought down the urge to stick her tongue out at Anaya. It wouldn't do to show her age when she had just recently been raised to the mantle. "I suppose this means you'll be making reports now? Is it possible you can wait on it just a little longer?"

 

    Anaya smiled. "I may be a Senior, Alerial, but I've never gone completely by the book. Besides, I doubt it would make it out of here. There is a reason we don't have a Watcher here. The Elemental's made it very clear to us that keeping a watch was not a good thing more than a century ago." Anaya shook her head. "No I think on this all we can do is write down our observations."

 

   Alerial stood up and began to pace the room. "There has to be a way to get a note to him. Sister Emera might be able to help us in that. He seems to be her special charge."

 

    "It's worth a try," Anaya said. "We did luck into this. From what I've gathered he is the only boy to have been given such an exception by the Sisters and the first from them to be given training not only by the Hedge Wizard's, but by the Elemental's as well."

 

    "Did you ever find out if he passed the Elemental's test or not?"

 

    Anaya shook her head. "I either get blank looks, hostile stares or the subject changes. It's a close knit community and the boy seems to be loved by everyone. It could be most don't know. Our knowledge of what it takes and what happens after the Elemental's test is next to zero."

 

       Alerial crossed her arms and continued to pace the room. She knew there was something about Talic that was more than just Elemental power. The song that poured from his being was a mixture of so many groupings that concentrating on it brought tears of joy to her eyes. It was as if all the different teachings and magic in the world came to him in perfect harmony. She didn't know why she hadn't told Anaya this, but something told her that if that knowledge got out everything would change. She didn't know why she could hear the song better than anyone else, but she knew by instinct when to hold back.

 

     "I'll write the note," Anaya said. "It will be up to you to convince a Sister to deliver it either to the boy or to have the Elemental's bring it to him." She raised a hand when Alerial opened her mouth to protest. "I have some knowledge of the Sisters. I can write it in a way they don't casually dismiss it. Don't worry yourself. I've been around long enough to know when and where to do things. There will be no magic to it. Just a plain letter."

 

    Alerial nodded her head. It was as good a plan as any she could see. She just hoped somehow Talic recieved it and then would follow up on it.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
Still a work in progress.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on May 23, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing