Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Albert Freeman
"

working on one

"

C H A P T E R

 

4

 

 

 

    Kalorin worked at the stiff silk collar and frowned in consternation. Grand balls did not suit him, but he would not beg off his duty to his king. Besides it wasn't just any ball. It would mark Princess Serilya's sixteenth birthday and her initial introduction to court life after being educated amongst the Lay Sisters of Margrin. Kalorin was proud of her. She had grown into a poised and beautiful young lady.

 

    "I see you're as proud as I am, Kalorin," King Nevrist said with a smile as he came up to his Minister of State and closest friend of more than fifty years. "If I didn't know of my own pride and affection I'd say yours was more than my own!"

 

    Kalorin laughed and clasped hands with his king. He towered more than a foot over the king, but the kings grip was strong as ever. "It was a stroke of genius your highness to return to the tradition of educating away from the court. Just look at the vultures hovering around waiting for Bishop Marcel to finish the Vow of Newness so they can swoop in." He hid his disgusted frown by turn and looking out a window into the royal gardens alight from below by thousands of lanterns.

 

    "If there is anyone equiped to handle them and keep her head then it is Serilya," Nevrist said quietly. "She has my will and her mothers stubborness, may she rest in peace. Would that I could keep her away longer, but with Ursela stirring the Rven Lords she is needed back here to learn state craft hands on if war is to come. With the stirring of the vulters at court I will need to ride forth and lead the way."

 

    Kalorin made a disgusted sound and turned to Nevrin. "Rumor has made it to me that she has chosen a mysterious consort." He smiled slightly when Nevrin nodded. He sometimes forgot Nevrin's chain of spies and look outs rivaled his own. "It's a strange rumor though as no one can confirm it, no one has seen this consort, and when pressed people clam up in fright or even pack there stuff and flee! What are we to make of that?"

 

    Nevrin sighed. "I can't say old friend.



© 2008 Albert Freeman


Author's Note

Albert Freeman
work in progress

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on August 3, 2008


Author

Albert Freeman
Albert Freeman

raymond, MS



About
I'm one of 5 boys born to my mother and father. My dad served 23 years in the Army. I served 6 years in the Air Force and enjoyed traveling to Korea, Japan, and Maryland while in. My interests vary, b.. more..

Writing