There's A First For Everyting

There's A First For Everyting

A Story by Ali
"

This was originally an Honours English assignment and it's supposed to be completely cliche. And it was rushed because it couldn't be more than two pages

"

I close my notebook in frustration and throw it on my bed. It’s been days since I’ve had inspiration to continue my poetry book. Apparently it has to be ready by March first. It’s February second and I’m not even halfway done.

I glance over at my dresser and see all of my stuffed penguins sitting on top of it. Ever since I was ten, I’ve had a strange obsession with penguins. Seven years later and the obsession still goes on.

Seeing the penguins reminds me that I haven’t gone to the zoo in a while. So why not today?

I grab my bag and shove my poetry notebook in hopes to get some inspiration later on.


Finally the bus pulls up. I quickly get on, pay, and try to find an empty seat. There is none. Guess everyone wants to go to the zoo today. And it’s not even noon yet! I quickly see a guy around my age in what seems to be a Fred Meyer uniform. Those people are usually friendly..right?

“Is it okay if I sit here?” I ask shyly and point to the seat. He looks up to me and nods his head, his soft chocolate brown eyes gleaming.

“What’s your name?” He takes his headphones out of his ears and turns to me. I notice the name tag on his shirt.

“Shay. And you’re Tanner?”  He laughs and looks down at his shirt.

“Yep that’s me! You going to the zoo as well?” I just nod my head. “I am too,” He continues. “Hey, since we’re both going alone, wanna go together? I used to work there so I know all the best spots.” I smile and feel my cheeks go red.

“Sure. That sounds like fun.

The rest of the bus ride we talked about all sorts of things from family to random habits. It feels like I’ve known him for years already. In no time, we’re there.

“What do you want to see first? Judging by that penguin necklace you are wearing, you’ll want to see penguins?” He winks at me as I laugh.

“Yeah let’s go!”

We spent hours going around and seeing all of the animals. Finally we had one stop left; the lions.

We walked over to the lions den only to find a carpenter there. He was arguing with what looks like a transient.

“Maybe we should go somewhere else.” I whisper to Tanner. He nods his head and grabs my hand, sending chills down my spine.

“I know a spot that’s right behind the zoo. It’s an old campground with this huge lake! We should have a picnic!”

“Tanner...where are we going to get food?” I laugh as he leads me off in a different direction. He stops, turns me around and gestures to the food court.

“Take your pick! We’ll bring it out to the lake. I know where they keep rubber rafts.”

After gathering all of our food, Tanner leads me to a beautiful lake. Tall trees surround it and the sun hits the water to make the colors dance. It’s all breathtaking. Is this really behind a stinky old zoo?

“I’ll go get the raft.” Tanner says and runs off, leaving me by the waters edge. Just as he gets out of my sight, my phone rings.

“Dad?” I answer.

“Where are you?! Do you realize it’s almost midnight?” I groan and look at my watch. He’s right. Only fifteen minutes until midnight.

“Dad I’m really sorry but I have to go...I’m...busy with stuff. I’m out writing for my book! I’ll see you tomorrow!” I hang up and put my phone away as Tanner comes carrying a big orange blow up raft.

“Let’s go!” He sets it in the water and I pick up our food.

Once again we talk for what seems like hours. All the food that we bought was gone in minutes. I didn’t need to look at my watch to see the time fly. The sun soon disappeared and we were left in darkness.

“Wanna go for a swim?” I inquire. He laughs and nods his head. I open my mouth to mention that I don’t really know how to swim when without any warning, he manages to pick me up and throw me overboard.

It feels like needles are piercing through my body. My breath runs out in an instant. Which was is up? It’s so dark that I can’t see my hand. I feel my head getting heavier and heavier as my lungs burn from the lack of air. Pain erupts in my stomach as something bites onto me. I can’t see what it is. The thing doesn’t let go and pulls me down deeper into the water.

But something grabs onto my hand and the thing on my stomach lets go. A gust of wind runs over my body as I gasp and take in the air. I look up to see Tanner holding me. The wind must be from him running somewhere.

But I black out before seeing where that is.


I slowly open my eyes and blink back at the sudden brightness of the room I’m in. I rub my eyes and see that I’m in a hospital bed.

“Shay! You’re awake!” Tanner looks at me and runs over to my bed. “How are you feeling?”

“I-” I’m interrupted by some painful coughing that sends pain in my stomach. What happened to me?

“You got bit by a little crocodile,” Tanner says as if reading my mind. “You were rushed into emergency surgery because it damaged your intestines....they said that you probably wouldn't make it.” A doctor walks in with a clipboard and stares at us.

“Miss Shay you are a very lucky girl. We checked and you’ll be just fine. I’ll be back later with your pain medication.” And he leaves.

I hear Tanner laugh and I turn to him shocked. “Why are you laughing?” He hides his face with his arm.

After controlling himself he hugs me awkwardly. “Weirdest date ever, right?” He whispers.


And after all of that nonsense, I never even got any inspiration for my poetry book.

© 2013 Ali


Author's Note

Ali
I'm not looking for criticism really. This was just for fun ^.^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on April 18, 2013
Last Updated on April 18, 2013
Tags: Cliche, Love Story, Romance

Author

Ali
Ali

Gresham, OR



About
I'm the girl who puts other's feelings in front of my own, the one who smiles but is crying inside. I don't expect anyone to understand and that's okay. I'd rather they didn't. I like many different t.. more..

Writing
Come To Me Come To Me

A Story by Ali


That's Love That's Love

A Poem by Ali