5. Callign

5. Callign

A Chapter by Alysha

I could smell the cigarette smoke before I set foot in the house. My mother’s pathetic giggles filled the air she and Jonothan were at it again. It never seemed to take long for a man to get into my mother’s head. It always ended up the same though. He would leave her flat on her a*s with nothing, no one but me to help her pick up the pieces. I rolled my eyes, walking to the kitchen to forage for some food. The fridge held meager pickings but I found enough to make a cheese sandwich and a glass of milk. I took my meal to my room, grabbed my CD player.

 

I flipped through my CD case, snapping "Evanescence" into the player, cranking the volume as high as it would go and tuning it to the most distracting song I could think of. Music blasted into my sensitive ears, blaring high and fast. My technique didn't work, my mother's high-pitched squeals punched through the music, drilling into my ears. Finally, I gave up and threw the player onto the bed in disgust. I pulled my coat from the closet and left.

The biting cold blasted my face but it felt better than having to listen to my mother doing her job. It was a blast of reality, definition in my otherwise hazy, distant life, it seemed as though there was no truth to the world anymore, just dreams and beliefs. The woods were a nice change to the sand and humid breezes offered by Miami, the sky felt closer, the cold was a welcome relief.

 

I shoved my fists into my pockets and waded through the knee-high snow. The trees were calm, serene, welcoming in a way, at least they didn't laugh, or judge, their snow covered branches seemed to open up, welcoming me into the quiet forest. Their rustic, piney embrace called to my distant memories, flashing images through my mind of a far away clearing and a long ago wild night under the gaze of a full moon, within the well toned arms of a strong man. I sighed, watching as the cloud I made swirled and dissipated into the darkening woods.

 

The world seemed to enclose around me as I walked further into the forest. Hours passed as I walked, I was unsure of how many but I realized they had when I looked up to find the moon surrounded by twinkling stars. I looked at my watch. S**t, it was passed five already I only had a few hours before I was supposed to meet Zeik. I began to think of hitchhiking, I knew there was a road close by, but then a harsh image ran quickly through my mind of a dark sadistic man stalking from a shadowy truck. The image caused a shudder to run up my spine and churn my stomach darkly.

 

"Lost?" The smooth voice emanated from behind me. I pivoted quickly still too worried about my recent imaginings to appreciate the interruption. I turned to find Richard standing over me, closer then what I had expected. He smirked when he saw me jump back. I glared at him. He was tall, like Zeik, but he had a calmer, almost timeless sense around him. He, too, looked strong, well built, like a sculpture of an ancient Greek god stuck between awaiting praise and destroying the entire world. Standing near him I felt no breeze, heard no creaking from the trees around us, as though the entire world was holding it’s breath waiting to see what would happen in the next few moments. The feeling was calm and serene, my body swiftly recovered from its start.

 

"So the mute can speak, can he?" I retorted bitingly after I recovered from my temporary shock.

 

"Yes he can speak, but he's wondering if you’re going to answer his question." He responded calmly, his eyes holding a sparkle of amusement, and a flare impatience.

 

"No, I'm not lost. I was supposed to see someone tonight but I don't have enough time to get there." I crossed my arms over my chest, waiting for him to suggest I stay with him.

 

"I have a car, I'll drive you." He started to walk away, I stayed put wondering if there was more to his offer then a simple ride. He stopped and turned to face me. "You coming or what?" I stood there uncomfortably. He seemed sincere about taking me up there, but apprehension still washed over me. I shook it off and followed him. A few feet beyond the dense foliage sat a beautiful glossy red Ferrari. My jaw dropped. As he walked around the front of the car, I could have sworn I saw another smirk. I ran my hand over the smooth glossy paint. It glistened beneath my fingers in the fading light. Richard reached over, opening the passangers' door impatiently. The smell of leather interior wafted out of the inside.

 

"You going to just stare at it, or do you want a ride?" He stated sarcastically as he drifted back behind the wheel. He looked calm, confident as he sat staring out the windshield. His demeanor reminded me of the stereotypical bad boy regular high school girls went gaga over, with his dark hair swept to one side of his face and his intense gazed fixed straight ahead.

His ears moved slightly catching a hint of a sound as I shifted uncomfortably in the snow covering the road, which made me realize that despite looking forward he was still acutely aware of what was going on around him. It was at this moment when I realized that I was no loner staring at the car but the passenger within. My senses snapped back quickly leaving me dazed as I carefully, and slowly, slid into the car, sinking into the warm leather seat.

 

Being in the car was like being surround by luxury, it was easy to imagine that life could be wonderful. He turned the key in the ignition, causing the engine purred to life, sending shivers rolling down my spine. He reached over, turning up the music. The speakers pumped a crystal clear heavy metal song that I didn’t really know but I tapped my thigh with my hand in time to the beat.

 

"You like this song?" Richard asked. His eyebrow tweaked in a weird way. I shook my head.

 

"I've never heard it but the beats good."

 

"You apparently aren't hearing the lyrics."

 

"That' not true."

 

"What is the chorus?" He challenged. I stuttered to a halt, crossed my arms over my chest, and stared out the window. I tried to focus on the lyrics as they ground out of the speakers, until I realized that they weren‘t in English.

 

“How am I supposed to know the chorus if I can‘t understand the words? What language are they singing in anyway?” I asked as I began to listen more closely.

 

“Italian, and the band is a heavy metal band with a gothic twist.”

 

“You’re a Goth?” I almost laughed aloud with the image that flashed through my mind, “Don’t Goths wear all black and make-up?”

 

“I’m not Goth,” he answered with a slight smile, his voice however hinted at a dark secret. "Where are you trying to get to?"

 

"Up to the Remer's, I have a photo shoot deal I guess." He straightened a little bit and I noticed that his face was now tight... In anger? His stiff demeanor and sudden change in attitude was disconcerting but no more questions were thrown my way so I was content with sitting back, letting the world pass by in a blur of white ground and gray trees.



© 2010 Alysha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
Added on May 16, 2010
Last Updated on November 15, 2010


Author

Alysha
Alysha

San Diego, CA



About
Hello everyone I am Alysha Raelene. I live a simple life with my husband we are experienceing the joys and pains of pregnancy at the moment and we're loving the chance. I love writing and all that go.. more..

Writing
Sonnet # 10 Sonnet # 10

A Poem by Alysha


Sonnet #9 Sonnet #9

A Poem by Alysha


First Words First Words

A Poem by Alysha