Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Amaunet

 

Chapter Three:

Anupu stood hidden within the shadows, his eyes flashing in anger, his mind whirling with thoughts. It's her, it has to be. His mind traced the familiar path to his wife, only to once more find nothing. He shook his head, his troubled gaze refusing to move.

He thought back to earlier in the day. Filling the air had been the screams of agony, a woman's he knew instinctively. That alone had piqued his curiosity, such heart wrenching anguish mixed with utter desperation; however, when the warriors had fallen to their knees as a result " and he knew that was the reason " he'd felt a moment of unease.

Only once in his long life had he seen such a reaction; the night his wife mourned the son she carried within her being lost. That night the humans around him had also fallen to their knees.

When he'd noticed a flash of color in the window above moments later, his unease had morphed into a cautious hope. A woman, the one whose screams had brought hardened warriors to their knees, stood at the window, her eyes blankly looking down at the road, the sun reflecting off of hair so red that it looked as if her face were aglow with an inner light.

His heart had clenched so tightly within his chest that he'd almost doubled over in pain, only his shock keeping him standing straight. He had known the moment that he came to her attention, and had fought the urge to laugh when her cheeks had flushed with embarrassment as she'd examined every inch of him. He had withstood her scrutiny without moving, though he would admit to having flexed his muscles on purpose just to see her reaction.

With his heightened senses he'd easily heard her soft intake of air as she felt herself drawn towards him without understanding why. His natural sense of humor had risen, and he had found himself bowing to her, laughing aloud when she had returned his bow despite feeling foolish. He had tried to reach for her mind at that moment, only to be unable to find the pathway that would lead to it.

That, and the momentary flicker of recognition that had filled her gaze for a split second before being lost in denial, was what made him consider the impossible.

He had forced himself to walk away from the scene, each step painful, as he tried to figure out just how he could find out who she was. He knew it would be foolish to enter the castle himself " he might be able to dress like a poor beggar, but there was no way to mask his stature. When his man-servant had met him at the door of the brothel they had found lodgings in, an idea had started to form.

He himself might not be able to enter a compound posing as a servant, but surely Ramses could pass. Granted in his life he had been the greatest Pharaoh Egypt had ever seen, but in his afterlife he was Anupu's most trusted subject. Because of that, and the fact that he had known his wife, Anupu thought him the best suited for the task and had set about making the appropriate plans.

He was not one used to taking the passive role, and it grated on his nerves, but for the sake of his friend " and the hopes that he was right " he had remained hiding in the shadows of the buildings below, a spell woven around him to make him unseen, as his plan was being carried out.

To his credit he had not lashed out in anger when he sensed Ramses being struck by someone, however he made a mental note to bring it up when he spoke to Ramses later. He had an uneasy suspicion that the person who had struck Ramses was also the cause of the woman's screams earlier in the day. Were that that the case " providing that she was who he thought her to be " he would not only be willing to punish him, but would find great pleasure in the task as well.

Though he knew that irregardless he would do something about the situation, while he was only allowed to judge the soul of the dead, there were always other methods to bringing justice. Perhaps there was something his brother, as a protective god, could do to remedy the situation. Either way he would see to it resolved once the answers he sought were found.

A subtle movement at the corner of the compound caught Anupu's attention, bringing him back to the present, and he watched as Ramses made his way towards him, his form bent over at the waist as he looked around. “My Lord, I only have a moment, as the woman's maidservant will be returning shortly.”

Anupu nodded, his eyes resting on the bruise that was already visible on Ramses' cheek, and he lifted his eyebrow. Ramses waved off the question. “I think your suspicions correct, though I fear she has lost herself. I will continue to speak with her maidservant who seems to have an interesting relationship with her, and rejoin you at the lodgings before daybreak.”

Anupu forced his face to remain passive as he nodded once more, his heart hammering so loudly within his chest he was sure that Ramses could hear it. He remained silent as Ramses bowed respectfully before he made his way quickly back inside. His gaze returned to the window when Ramses was out of sight. So it is her. But what did he mean she has lost herself?

As the light went out above him Anupu once more forced himself to turn his back and made his way back to the brothel to await Ramses' full report.



© 2010 Amaunet


Author's Note

Amaunet
this chapter is written from the a different perspective, in that while still third person, it is following the thoughts and actions of a different character than Catoon. as before not a finished project, but any thoughts welcome that would be helpful

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ack! Its like they are sping on her! eek! Where did these guys come from? THey seem super awesome! I wonder what they are going to do...

need...

MORE!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


"...hidden within the shadows(,) his eyes flashing in anger..."

Other than that, excellent. I like the other point of view, coming from her husband! Even though she has no idea who he is or what he is to her..
Itching to read the next installment and see what happens next!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2010
Last Updated on June 23, 2010


Author

Amaunet
Amaunet

OK



About
35/f A lover of both reading and writing, i spend most of my free time doing one or the other. Lets101 Quizzes - Blog Quizzes I'm open to sharing ideas, and welcome the chance to better my wri.. more..

Writing
Friends Friends

A Poem by Amaunet


Loves prayer Loves prayer

A Poem by Amaunet