Egotist

Egotist

A Poem by Anand Sehgal

I prefer to maintain the royal silence ,
until I see the algorithms made by somebody else
marking keywords in my compositions,
on their own , 
courtesy to their makers' brains,
which I feel do not exist at all.
Without knowing the weight 
I want to put on certain words,
they always pick up something else
to declare as the pivot.
As I am more aware now, 
about the futile fate of useless arguments ,
I love to avoid skirmishes,
which is why I ignore the Pundits
with a silent smile .
And quite naturally ,
the people who didn't ever understand me, 
my thoughts;
assume the roles of experts overnight 
only to call me an 'Egotist' .

© 2013 Anand Sehgal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm not sure if this is where you were going with this piece, but it reminded me why I hated school so much. Teachers never understand people like me...I'm a quiet and shy person, and I don't like speaking up. I had far too many teachers that misunderstood me for that reason...they were just as bad as the idiots I had to go to school with. I wish the world didn't look down on royal silence so much...people get so weird when things are quiet...it's like they just have to say something, and when they do, it's usually gibberish for the sake of noise, when the silence usually articulates an environment or a state of mind much more succinctly. Anyways I ramble, but you can see that this piece certainly resonated with me, and carried much meaning for me...great work :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

you spoke my mind and you got it quite right Kubla :) kind review from you makes me glad.
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Always a pleasure my friend :)



Reviews

Most of us are egotistical, IMHO. I agree that it's best to not take others' opinions too seriously, but I always try to find that kernel of truth in their vision that might help me write or live a little better. Most of us are blind to our weaknesses, and it take another pair of eyes to point them out to us. I like your writings very much and hope you will find a kernel within my words to hang onto.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

Indeed your comments carry special meaning. I keep learning from reader's reactions. Thanks a lot Jo.. read more
Joyce S. Greene

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome, Anand. You write very wisely and always get my brain rolling.
Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

I can't thank you enough for your remark :)
So you are avoiding debate and that leads others to believe you are an egotist? Well, you know what they say? "What others think of you is none of your business!" :) You have to be happy within yourself. Your philosophies about life and behavior are well expressed in your poetry. A silent smile is often misinterpreted.....but that is not for you to worry about. A good write. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

Contemplating about practicing a few days of desolation. probably that would help a bit . Thank you .. read more
the people who didn't ever understand me,
my thoughts;
assume the roles of experts overnight...

Profound truth - we disassociate ourselves with those who don't "get" us, and they presume to know why. Great piece, Anand - something to think about!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Ma'am . I keep learning from you :D
Without knowing the weight
I want to put on certain words,
they always pick up something else
to declare as the pivot.
the people who didn't ever understand me,
my thoughts;
assume the roles of experts overnight
only to call me an 'Egotist' .
WOW. this is a brilliant observation of the human condition. Those who pontificate without understanding the inner workings of a soul. Wise writer. Wise poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

You are so kind and lavish in your comments :) thanks a lot
Pundits ..?.......... OK


I was here ... J.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

:) :) Certainly I didn't mean you
J. J.  Nightingale

10 Years Ago

LOL .. I know
Great read Anand, much food for thought here, not such a bad thing to be called, reminded me of a clever quote though....muchly enjoyed.

“Having a low opinion of yourself is not 'modesty.' It's self-destruction. Holding your uniqueness in high regard is not 'egotism.' It's a necessary precondition to happiness and success.”
― Bobbe Sommer

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the additional quote :D, glad that you liked the write :)
i find this a fascinating write...i would love for emily dickinson to read it...she would relate in many ways to this...

she held on only to friends who understood and appreciated her work...the others went by the wayside...and if she was different, so be it..i think in her eyes that made her better than those who just looked at her, bewildered.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

thank you Jacob, it was a thought that was stirred up by the folly of some opinionated people.
But is it bad to be called one?.... I have been told otherwise, that I have no ego at all, and I don't think they meant it in a positive way.

Whatever we do people will judge us continuously, and that is what comes across nicely in this poem. The real question is what do YOU call these people?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

It is very tricky. there are some very thin lines.
Rhiti Bose

10 Years Ago

That is true.
Someone told me long ago...
"You wouldn't worry so much about what people think of you, if you knew how infrequently they do..."
In other words, we are just not as important in the thoughts of others as we like to think we are.
It's a humbling thought, actually...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

Thanks angel for the time you spent on the write :)
Angel

10 Years Ago

Heyyyy...no problem!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

595 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 29, 2013
Last Updated on August 29, 2013
Tags: Prose poem, Imagery

Author

Anand Sehgal
Anand Sehgal

Kolkata, India



About
A graduate researcher, A writer, A poet, A singer, A composer,An actor..............An artist by heart more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..