So you think you're a writer ey

So you think you're a writer ey

A Story by Baby Ricochet
"

Reflections on writing,

"

  Writing is a developed skill evolving from a natural talent that takes discipline and years of practice to fully develop. The idea that writing is your "heart and soul" isn't the best approach one should take. In fact, it's f*****g retarded. Thinking in terms of something coming from the core of your being you post on a public website that any a*****e can comment on is just begging for a cyber a*s ripping. You need to have some detachment from your work so you don't act like a p***y when someone says you suck and trust me, someone will. We all want to improve our skills and coming off like you've been violated when someone critiques your work isn't going to improve s**t. With an attitude like that you're next piece will probably be an even bigger piece of crap than the one you got critiqued on.

    Writing is a developed skill, like shooting pool, using a weapon effectively or being great at oral sex. It isn't who you are so knock it off with the "my writing is my soul" shtick. Seriously, you're not doing yourself any favors.

© 2013 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
Feel free to disagree.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree and disagree. This is a tricky subject matter. Writing for some "like myself" is a creative outlet to let off steam. For others it is a serious sport. That really make things complicated when it comes to reviewing constructively. Written words and spoken words are a powerful source of communication. Some of us can communicate better than others. But does that make it more or less justified? My daughters art is not hanging in a museum. But I can see her heart in it. Coming from her, it is perfect. It is her creative expression. I would never tell her what is wrong or what is right. I guess I feel the same way about poetry. So in reviewing I try to remember that, I can only share how I feel. If the writing is terrible...well I just don't review it. That simple. It's called using your manners. Remember when your mother said, "if you can't say anything nice, it's best to say nothing at all." However, I do think it's good to give out suggestions and point out spelling and grammar errors "BUT ONLY IF YOU CAN OFFER ADIVCE AND/OR A CORRECTION" I see too many reviewers that like to say it's wrong, yet they have nothing constructive to offer to help correct it. That's the difference I think between saying it sucks and saying hey I have an idea on how to make that read better. And from one amateur writer reviewing an amateur..."who am I to cast the first stone?"

Posted 10 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Most of my reviews are neutral. God knows I post all kinds of crap so I figure "what do I know about.. read more
Flowrite

10 Years Ago

Muse, I agree with you 100%. What you said was inspiring, which is what a muse does.
Angel

10 Years Ago

Wow, Muse! I think you said what most of us feel. I couldn't have put it better...although, of cou.. read more



Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Good job once again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


i agree and disagree also...

i don't know what i would do without it, but then i mostly don't feel i do the writing...i feel more like a conduit...

my early writing was more me in a sense..i was much more subjective when i wrote...now i play more at it...


but while it is a major part of me, it is also something i almost don't even feel i am doing...so there is that sense of detachment.

and yes, i agree, the more we do it, the more practice, the better we become...and we can always be better...so whining at criticism makes no sense..i agree...but i also feel that critiques can be made so as to be stern and helpful...but not necessarily egotistical and bashing...so that the writer becomes completely discouraged..

what drives me nuts is when people do post writings and expect only compliments...or post and say "ignore the grammar or spelling errors" with poetry , how can you ignore that.

we are poets..and words are our tools, weapons, instruments...and we should learn to use them with care.

a very thoughtful write here...and something to think about from both sides of the word.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I wrote this awhile ago and I don't remember what prompted it. Thank you for your input. I appreciat.. read more
Some few, the lucky ones, write naturally and don't have to work hard to write beautifully. But most of us have to work at learning the craft and the more you work, the better you are. You have made many good points in your piece, BR. An excellent write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

thank you joyce
HA! I am a realist but I also am a artist. I will quote Bruce Lee: “Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul.”

I think that is where writing comes from. I agree with your assessment that some people hide behind soul and forget to practice technique. We challenge both to express ourselves completely

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Eddie
In my case, my grandfather was a writer and there were others farther back on my tree that were story tellers so I do believe people can be predisposed to writing. For me it truly is part of my identity. However, I started with a love for reading as a little kid, which blossomed into a love for writing lyric poetry in my teens. Since i was 17 years old I have written and have also taken classes in writing as I was able to do so. (I am oh my GOD 48 now and still learning) I absolutely believe that it is a developed skill and if one wants to write for an audience - one needs to be able to handle being told one sucks. Like you said, it will happen. My heart is in my writing but its underneath several layers of dragon hide, caustic spit and attitude. I would love to write professionally so if I ever got my stuff in front of a real editor - I know it might get gutted and that's part of the deal. I don't edit poetry because I write that to vent - but novels? I edited the first one I wrote about 8 times and then asked some others to read for errors. And it still could have used more polish. I do believe in writing your heart and soul. But that's only the start. There's also lots and lots of sweat equity that goes on. I've never been violated here. But I've been unread which is bothersome because it could mean the piece sucked but no one had the cajones to say so. I am stoked when another writer takes time to give a comprehensive review or make suggestions. Politeness is welcome but I concur - it is skill, and it is determination. What I absolutely do not believe in is writers' block. If you're a writer - write. I am an opportunist. I will write about darn near anything. I'll write about cat crap. I'll write about toenail clippings in my toilet. I don't wait for the lofty lovely ideas. I just write until something worth reading eeps out.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

I obviously don't wait for lofty ideas either. In fact, I don't think I've ever had any. I hadn't wr.. read more
I think I know you from Nylas show on blogtalk??

I have to disagree with you a bit here... I know first hand there are those that have poetry in their soul.. The ones that cannot sleep at night even as a small child because words and rhymes fill their heads . I was reciting rhyme before i could speak in sentences.. My first poem was published in the newspaper at ten.. My eleven year old grandson comes to spend the night and the next morning i find scraps of paper towels and napkins with lines written on them.. He has to get up and write things down all night long or he cant sleep. For me this has been both a gift and a curse all my life..
I call it poetic insomnia.. Does that mean we are great writers? No, but what it does mean is that we were born with the gift of rhyme and poetry .. For me it would be easier if i could sleep without poems in my head but poems and lyrics have filled my cranium as far back as I can remember.. I never tried to publish.. I write for my own sanity and well being..

I believe for many.. poetry and writing is in their soul.. for others they just woke up one morning and said "OH mayby I will be a poet.. They may even take classes and perfect their craft.. But these are not the ones who had it in their soul or they would have realized it long before puberty.. Just my thoughts Ric... xo shallimarRose

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Awesome insight! Thank you for your input. I appreciate it very much.
shallimarRose

10 Years Ago

Do you read on blog talk or is that another ricochet ?
Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Nope. Never heard of it.
Hmmm...
There should be a comma in the title, after "Writer" and the next word should be spelled with an h..."eh", not "ey".
Also, you rely too much on vulgar language to express yourself. You are too intelligent to fall back on gutter talk.
Other than that, I have to agree with Muse. We are all amateurs here...some more than others. Occasionally, I will comment on spelling, or grammar, or sentence structure, if I think I can help, or offer a suggestion on how to make the writing better.
Other than that, if I think the piece stinks, I don't leave a review at all.
As for my own writing...if someone can offer constructive criticism on how I can make my writing better, by all means, tell me. It's like walking around with a hole in my britches...don't just point and giggle...tell me so that I can fix it. But if all someone wants to do is debate about my faith, I'm really not interested. I don't ask my readers to believe as I do...only that if they are going to leave a review, then do so on the merits of the writing itself. My faith is not open to debate.
Muse put it better than I could.
I think you are a terrific writer...very strong, very masculine. I usually enjoy your work...even if there have been a couple of times you should have had your keyboard washed out with soap! Of course, I'm an old grandma...as I'm sure you've been told "In my day, people didn't talk like that..." Not completely true...but true enough.
But that's our Baby Ricochet...and I wouldn't change him for all the world!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your input Angel. I appreciate it
Angel

10 Years Ago

You're too kind, BR!!
I agree completely, writing is a skill that is very hard because we are writing ultimately about our experiences no matter what we write, even if it's fiction. Therefore a certain amount of detachment is necessary, but i can understand why people get upset, because when i was younger it was hard to take criticism, then later on i saw the purpose of it and now i don't mind it. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

That's true. Thank you Eddie
⊰ℛℛ⊱
Can we agree to disagree, Big Brother ? :)

Actually I think writing entirely has to do with how well you can recall and record your life. Me ? I use an audio recorder now so when I go out I am reminded of events that have taken place.

And no, writing is not my soul, but I do believe writing effectively does come from the soul.

As for joking in comments or even being completely honest and critical - yes - some people cannot take it. Since I write from real-life events, the worst thing someone can do is point a finger and say, ha ha, your life sucks. And I smirk and say, yah, well, at least I'm doing something with it and getting it out on paper.

If in fact the whole point of my life was to be put on this Earth to show others not to be so naive or gullible as I have been in the past - the point remains that I was still placed on this planet for a purpose. :7


Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Good insights. Thank you dw.
dw817

10 Years Ago

Take care ... :)
I've often noticed the statements on which you refer. Usually you see them written by a young writer-wannabe with their head in the clouds and no desire to embark on the arduous road it takes to learn proper grammar or experience the critiques it takes to be successful.

Does anyone really want to write from the heart and soul to a bunch of strangers that could care less about their broken hearts? It's as though we're reading a page from their diary. The 'he/she did this to me' syndrome is all over the sight and is reflective of that "heart and soul syndrome" you mention.

I've tried to give critiques before by pointing out errors I knew of but often times it was either not received well or I got no reply back. Perhaps my review skills were never honed properly. Or, perhaps they were only looking for praise, which is given here far too much in my opinion. I've heard it said many times before that we're all here to learn. Yet, how do we learn if most of our writing is reviewed only favorably with flowery reviews or by someone with no degree or experience?

I would have loved being shown my mistakes in detail with explanations (and have a couple of times) but this is a free writing site and no teachers are here to show me, so my writing is no better than when I started with the exception of a few minor skills I learned from research.

As far as my previous writing style, I always tried to write anything I could think of rather than from the heart, which I wouldn't know how to do anyway. Sometimes it worked, and most times, it was just okay. BTW, If you think I'm going to compare that to oral sex forget it. I've always received high marks for that skill. :)

Just a note, I copied this writing to make this review and all the curse words came out. Go figure. Overall, this a good story with a point that's worth mentioning. Glad you did.









Posted 10 Years Ago


Relic

10 Years Ago

Why do you say it is under read or un read? After briefly scanning your poems I see you have lots of.. read more
TL Boehm

10 Years Ago

Well its more regarding novels than poetry and I don't send read requests anymore. I never know who .. read more
Relic

10 Years Ago

I never send out read requests. I did one time and it didn't help at all. I keep that option closed .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1699 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 29, 2013

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moods Moods

A Poem by DrD