"Dominoes..."

"Dominoes..."

A Poem by Chris


"Dominoes..."

I didn't whisper your name in my sleep...

thought a bit
wandered a bit...

gazed out my inner window - a bit...
but I didn't whisper your name.

I watched the sun rise -
didn't blink
didn't flinch,
FELT the heat grow
as inch-by-inch
the slow burn felt good and right -
and night was day

-
there is a heaven in hell.

No good deed goes unpunished
- we're responsible for the world
- we make momentary ~ choices

and the world turns and the dominoes -

realign... just to fall and fall
and the last one over - kicks the first one back up
and on-and-on 'til
a new pattern is breathed into existence

and as the eyes open
the falling rebegins.

At points we cross
intersect
touch
intertwine and act
react
turn on emotional dimes
and wish we could breathe...

and find we are - breathing
but not as we thought

or wanted

or to someone else's should...

just and barely breathing
gulping - fits and starts and ends
pausing and falling again...

...I didn't whisper your name in my sleep
but we both know
I don't...

sleep.

Chris

© 2013 Chris


Author's Note

Chris
feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like that you chose a domino as your imagery. The block is dark with circles of "light"; as you described - this is the struggle within; we may call it hell/heaven, desire/discipline....they all bring us to some sort of balance but the struggle is feeling the two that makes us lose sleep according to whichever fixation of the love/hate relationship we weigh in.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

feel free...

There is an openness, a sense of freedom in your style, even if the content forces us to the repeat action of dominoes falling in endless cycles. I like your approach to poetry writing very much.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this idea of renewal as if everything recycles and goes on and on and o

Posted 12 Years Ago


There seems to be a silent repetition here, a search maybe, 'and the last one over - kicks the first one back up ~ and on-and-on 'til ~ a new pattern is breathed into existence ~ and as the eyes open ~ the falling rebegins.'

Strangely the word 'free' is how i read and feel this poem. You seem to be addressing a world inhabited by one person, telling her or him of who and what, where, why and how, the colours of life, the need for something, someone closer- if only you could reach .. if only you could sleep ..

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hello,
What a awesome poem! I really enjoyed your words from a awesome mind! Thank you for sharing with me. Life and Light to you and yours!
TT-TTO-NI-K
ELK

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the enigma of whose name would be whispered. I like it because the power of what is manifest depends on the word/name. The irony of "my sleep" is also a possible foreshadow of what is dreaded by the one who doesn't sleep. Nice depth wound from our common struggle: life.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm not one to believe in fate or destiny. I think they are just words used by us to describe things we don't understand. I really like how you used the domino metaphor as a way to show through chaos there will be a pattern or harmony. To some it could be seen as a destiny or fate, but whatever you call it the dominoes always seem to repositioned. I've said this before, but I really do like your style of writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read it again and again . . . and will read it again and again

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like that you chose a domino as your imagery. The block is dark with circles of "light"; as you described - this is the struggle within; we may call it hell/heaven, desire/discipline....they all bring us to some sort of balance but the struggle is feeling the two that makes us lose sleep according to whichever fixation of the love/hate relationship we weigh in.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amazing, I walk in flustered and hot and out of sorts and words like these calm the inner chaos, still the emotional seas . . . almost like magic :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

539 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 12, 2011
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: Poetry, Writing, CHris

Author

Chris
Chris

Lansing, MI



About
"Life is a terminal disease." All the doctors have basically told me so. "Life is an adventure... Pain, well you deal. Thanks for being here. 06/21/2020 I'm back and working on. I've been.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..