1- Same old, same old.

1- Same old, same old.

A Chapter by AndrewDawg
"

Chapter 1 of Dead World

"
"Bell, get to your shift. It's 5 o'clock."
"Yes sir.." I responded. My shift was to sit in the watch tower and alert the Base Master of any movement. Of course there was usually nothing, and they understood that, so made it easier on us by making us do shifts. And by us, I mean me and another guy named Smith. We had the Northwest Tower, and there were 3 others, NE, SE, SW, you get it. There is a team of two for each. Of course, I had the night shift was is much more dangerous, and tiring, but it gave me a better reason to sleep during the day. I'm given an infrared camera, which basically shows heat signatures of any warm blooded beings, whether that be a real threat, or the same damn dear that scares the s**t out of me, because I always expect there to be a guy with a gun. The station is simple, infrared scope (once my trust is gained, I'll be given a weapon to put the scope on), a water canteen, radio (to communicate with the other towers or base master), and a very uncomfortable seat.
To be honest, I don't understand why I joined these guys. I've only been with them for about 2 weeks and I'm already wanting out. The camp itself isn't the most secure. It's got cargo containers for walls, hardly any weapon experienced people, and a s****y staff. In the whole camp of 30 people, only 3 are confirmed military. Base Master is not one of them. This place feels like a military camp though. In the 'war room' as staff calls it, there are bulletproof vests, and powerful rifles in case s**t hits the fan, like bandits or other federations attack. Though, it is a comfy place. There is a small solar plant about a quarter mile out from us. Which is extremely lucky in a time like this.
Sitting in the tower felt calm though. Because you have to stand watch, others can't bug you with orders, which gives you nice alone time. A lot of time to think.... until,
"CS to Ace, copy?" I hear over the radio. CS was communication station. They kept communications with other squads. I was in squad Charlie. The nickname Ace was given to me because apparently I won a card game with an Ace of spades. I don't remember what the card game was though, I was drinking.
"I hear you. Orders?"
"Negative. Sometime tonight around midnight we can be expecting Delta to be arriving. The direction they're coming from means you'll see em' first. Let me know when you do."
"Roger. I'll watch out for them."
The reason we've got the squads how they are is 1, for organization, and 2, squads go through cycles, determining which goes out to find other people, settlements, or equipment/necessities such as medical and foods. I was picked up by charlie squad as they were out, so I got to wait the longest until the cycle gets back to us. As far as I know, it only goes up to Delta. Typically they are ordered to stay out until they have something to bring back, like a bunch of medical supplies or more weapons and ammunition. When charlie came back, they brought me, and a whole neighborhood worth of supplies. Of course some houses were empty, but one in particular was nearly untouched. Hunting rifles were found in a cabinet, and a lot of rounds to go with them. 
I feel bad when houses end up getting raided by us, but I've never been out on a search so I don't know how it is truly handled.
Hours pass, and soon,
"Ace, this is CS. Delta will be an expected hour or two sooner. There are wounded."
"Copy."
I changed frequency to each of the other towers to let them know, and sure enough they were already told. That means whatever happened is bad. Real bad.
Within minutes, I see flashlights, and a group moving in.
"Ace to CS, I've got eyes on a group moving in. Looks like Delta."
"Copy. Letting command know."
The doors to get in were essentially cargo containers turned sideways. 90 degrees compared to the walls. Armed guards ran quickly from the CS building to the doors, letting Delta squad in.
"We have multiple wounded!" One of them called out.


© 2017 AndrewDawg


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wait, this is seriously all? I need to know more. I actually really loved this story!! I will keep reading it if you keep adding more! Also, I laughed more times than I should've. Wonderful work!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 26, 2017
Last Updated on June 26, 2017


Author

AndrewDawg
AndrewDawg

FL



About
I'm young, so if my stories don't make sense, don't judge me. =D more..

Writing
4- Big Day 4- Big Day

A Chapter by AndrewDawg