3- Discovering New Talents

3- Discovering New Talents

A Chapter by AndrewDawg
"

Chapter 3 of Dead World

"
I woke up around 8, being almost completely refreshed. Today was training day.

I went out to where the fire was and sat down. It was really nice out today. I wasn't sure where we were though. Walking such a distance, with no GPS or anything. I don't think they were supposed to tell us, but I thought it felt like Tennessee, the cool Fall weather, and mountains in almost every background. I've also heard it will be snowing in the winter, which is just another thing to be worried about. That's when the true test of what we need vs. what we have comes in.

Soon, we gathered into a group. We then split off into our groups. Of course, I got with Charlie. Charlie leader was a cool guy. People called him bear, because he always tells this story about fighting a bear with his bare hands. Everyone knew it was bullshit though.
"Alright Charlies, we're getting into pairs, just to make things easier. Your buddy will be permanent until you are told to change. Basically keeps things organized. He went through a list, and I was paired up with a guy named Zeus. I didn't know why his name was Zeus, I just accepted it.

"Hey bro." I said and shook his hand.
"Sup." He replied. He was very chill.

We walked out into a nearby field, and there were targets on the trees. We tried a number of different weapons. I did terrible with all of them.

At the end, me and Zeus were the only guys left. I couldn't seem to hit the target.

Then Bear came over.

"Here, try this." He handed me a bolt action rifle. Looked like just a regular old hunting rifle.

"I'll give it ago." But deep down I had barely any confidence, but I stayed calm about it.

I lay prone on the ground, and looked down the scope at the target. I pulled the bolt back, and dropped it down.

Bang. Miss.

"Alright, this time I want you to slow your breathing. That will slow your heartbeat, therefore your blood movement, requiring less oxygen. This will calm you. At the bottom of your fourth breath, hold it, and fire."
I tried it. Breathed slowly, and got to the bottom of a breath.

Bang.

"Well, looks like you'll be one of the marksmen." He said.
"Wait what? I only hit the target once."
"On your first try on the technique. Different people specialize in different parts of the field. You're better looking at a man's eye color from 300 yards out. I was the same. Couldn't hit nothin' till' I picked up a sniper. Now empty three more clips, and you'll be done for day. But remember to refill them. Never know when you'll need em'."

I was feeling very confident. Especially considering I did so well. I only missed a few shots out of all 3 clips.

"Damn, Ace. Didn't know you had it in you. I myself prefer assault rifles. Our partnership should go well."
"Thanks man. I'll need more practice though. What you saw today was the first time I handled a long ranged rifle in easily 10 years. I used to hunt with my dad." I responded, and we went back to camp.


Once we got back, we got with the squad leaders and the filled us in on what we missed from being out at the range for so long.

"Right so when Delta came back, they did bring in a few survivors. Two in particular caught my eye. One used to run a gun shop, where he fixed, modded, and sometimes even built his own weapons. And the other was a car mechanic."
"Yeah, so?" Zeus asked.
"Well he tells us he's got a warehouse with a bunch of old cars in it. They used to restore cars, and collected more than a few El Caminos, thus giving him the name Camino. But he also says they need a lot of work done. Charlie squad will be the one that goes out with him to retrieve the cars. You guys should also help fix some up, so we have more to work with. Plans aren't quite set in stone yet for how it will all work out, because we do have a few weeks, but when the time comes, we will brief you. Thanks gentlemen."
"Yeah no problem." I responded.
"You know anything about cars, Ace?"
"Names, and basic parts. Other than that, not really."

We later went in to our bunks and saw Camino setting up his. 
"Hey brothers." He said. We had a basic conversation, and chatted a little, but it was getting dark, so I knew I had to get to my post.


© 2017 AndrewDawg


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on June 27, 2017
Last Updated on June 27, 2017


Author

AndrewDawg
AndrewDawg

FL



About
I'm young, so if my stories don't make sense, don't judge me. =D more..

Writing
4- Big Day 4- Big Day

A Chapter by AndrewDawg