Defender of the king chapter 3

Defender of the king chapter 3

A Chapter by Davy Galloway
"

The knight,Davy, travels though the woods on her way to the kingdom Waykin.

"
Davy walked with the big grey horse by her side. The horse, Dixie, limped a little. As soon as she was far enough into the woods she would use her earth magic to heal it but until the. Dixie would have to work through it. Luckily she didn't seem to be in pain from it. As she walked through the town she was able to find a leather smith with some horse gear in stock. Dixie now wore a black saddle and bridle. Once she had more money she would buy a saddle bag so she could carry a some more items with her. Davy looked up at the sky trying to tell the time with her hand but she gave up and pulled out her sword and stuck it in the ground. Davy stepped back with a hand on her hip studying the shadow and deciding it was 6 o'clock. It usually got dark around seven so she needed to find a good camp area and do so soon. She grabbed the horses reins and continued to walk. Even though the horse could handle her weight she wanted to get to know the horse before trying to ride her.
After walking another half hour Davy found a secluded spot near a thin stream. She tied Dixie to a tree and walked around to find some wood for a small fire. After searching for wood she set what she had in an trianglular shape and set leaves and little twigs inside, it was the easiest way to get a fire started. Before starting the fire Davy went for a quick hunt which ended in her catching three squirrels, they weren't her favorite food but it was better than starving. She lit the fire with her magic then wandered over to her horse placing her hands on her injured leg. Without thought, her hands started to glow, the horse flinched a little but stood still. Davy had healed many of her own wounds so it was easy for her to start healing the horse's tender leg. The magic she used for healing tended to be cold but the cold probably felt good on the horse's injury. Davy loved using this spell on herself when she was injured because it took all the pain away and left her with a warm feeling. When the injury was completely healed Davy stood up and started to pet the horse's big head. Davy stood for a long time petting the horse until the horse's head started to drop and her eyes started to close. Davy slowly walked to a tree by the fire. She sat down leaning against the tree staring into the fire. She started to trace images into the fire. First she made the flames into a dog, then a horse jumping over logs, then her magic took over and the fire started to make images she wasn't controlling. Davy started to summon water but the image captured her eye. It was a castle on fire with a dragon flying around it. There were people trying to fight it. Davy threw a water ball onto the fire putting it out. She couldn't process what it was she saw she stared at the ground in horror as the water rose up from the ground and formed a dragon letting out a silent roar then fell back to the earth. She suddenly had feeling that something bad was going to happen and put a shield of magic around her and the horse just in case someone or something came, then fell into a light sleep.
Davy awoke to see Dixie's big head in front of her face. She gently pushed the horse out of her face and realized how cold she was. Her heat was being trapped in her suit but when she started to move it released. She wondered why she was so cold but then remembered throwing a water ball at the fire, not the best thinking on her end. She stood up threw her sword in the ground, took a couple steps back, placed a hand on her hip and stared at the shadow to tell her what time it was. It was almost eight in the morning. Davy wasn't that hungry yet so she grabbed the horse's reins and continued down the path.
After about an hour Davy ventured off the path to begin a small hunt. She stopped the horse once she was a little bit farther into the woods. She started at the trees with her mini, fold up cross bow, which fit in the pocket that went from her hip to her knee, for a squirrel to appear. She had only been waiting two minutes when a giant hawk flew down onto a nearby branch. She couldn't kill the hawk it was too beautiful and plus many people believed they carried spirts to the holy world. The hawk stared at her, and Davy was tempted to move closer to it but she was here from a reason, to find food. She turned around returning to what she needed to do and saw a squirrel. She quickly raised her cross bow and shot hitting it in the middle of its eyes. When she turned back the hawk still watched her but looking closer now, looking curious at her hunting methods. She set up a small camp so she could cook her food and, partially, because she wanted to look at this hawk more.
When she was done eating her food she leaned against a tree staring at the hawk. Neither of them broke the gaze until Dixie let out a loud sneeze and both the hawk and Davy turned to look at the horse. When she returned her gaze to the hawk it was gone. Dixie's sneeze must have scared it. Letting out a sigh she untied Dixie and walked her to the path. Before walking Davy checked Dixie's injured leg to make sure it healed all the way and then she eased herself into the saddle.
Dixie hardly flinched with Davy's weight on her. Davy gave Dixie a little kick and she started to walk, no she started to trot. Her ears shot up and she tried to pull the reins from Davy hands. Davy felt Dixie trying to pull forward and Davy let her go. Davy leaned closer to Dixie's mane. She could feel the wind as it wrapped around her body. Davy was trying not to laugh, she hadn't had this much fun in a while, but all fun ends at some point and for Davy it was the tree that fell down in the path. Davy started to sit up as she saw the tree pulling on Dixie's reins, but Dixie wouldn't stop. She was going full speed toward a tree. Davy pulled harder and got her to slow down a little but not much. There was no time to think they were only strides away from the tree so Davy did the only thing she could think of, grabbing Dixie's mane and holding on. Davy prepared herself to be thrown from Dixie's back. Davy closed her eyes and Dixie jumped. Davy opened her eyes and looked back at the tree that her horse just jumped. Davy was finally able to stop Dixie and then she used her magic to move the tree out of the road so other travelers wouldn't have an issue. After moving the tree she looked up and sa the hawk again.
The hawk was a gold color, a color she imagined only fit for a king. The hawk and her shared a connection but Davy didn't know what it was. She lifted her arm out and after a couple seconds of hesitation the hawk flew down and landed on her shoulder. Davy remounted Dixie with the hawk on her shoulder and started back on the path to the kingdom of Waykin only slightly terrified that the hawk would try to peck her eye out.


© 2018 Davy Galloway


Author's Note

Davy Galloway
Please tell me if you see any mistakes or if you feel I should add something to make the story better please tell me and rate my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
Added on November 22, 2016
Last Updated on June 12, 2018