The tall man in black

The tall man in black

A Chapter by Apple Newhouse

       After waiting for over two hours the kids were a bit tired and very bored. Cassidy was braiding a small section of Takota's hair while Warren read an article about Neptune. Along the porch rail a white cat jumped up and sat down staring at the kids. Cassidy smiled and said "aw what a cute kitty!" Takota looked up at the cat and said to Cassidy "I wonder if it belongs to whoever lives here?"  Cassidy shrugged and continued braiding another small section of Takota's hair.

    Five minutes after a tall man in all back walked up to the steps the kids looked up at him in shock,he was not who or what they expected.

He smiled and said "My cards read that id have unexpected visistors"

 He walked up the stairs "come,im sure you children have been wating a while." 

  Cassidy looked at the man in confusion and asked "who are you?"

The man smiled and replied "im Edwick,Uncle Edwick,and let me guess you must be Cassidy,Takota and Warren?"

  The kids all looked shocked, he had all their names right but how? They had no idea who he was so how would he know who they were?

   "No offence but how did you know who we are? We had no idea who you are." asked Takota

  Taking a seat on the top step Edwick answered "Well, your my neices and nephew. Obviously Cashlin,my sisters children and not to menchion I heard about you three in the past."

  Cassidy said to Edwick "our moms friends call her Cash."

Edwick smirked replying "im sure I can guess why"

 Takota and Warren looked at eachother trying to figure out what that was supposted to mean. Edwick got up and unlocked the door letting the kids in. "Its not much but its home" he said while shutting the door. The kids walked in seeing a writing quil writing its self at an old green desk by the window,old furniture from the 1960's,the wall paper on the walls looked as it was from the 1950's. Edwick stuck out his arm guiding the children to have a seat. "Come,have a seat so we can get better aquianted." said Edwick.

  The children all sat on the pea green couch as Edwick took a seat in the blue seat across. Takota looked up at Edwick and asked "How come we have never met in the past or heard of you for the matter?"

 Edwick leaned back in the seat and replied "well,me and your mother have been seperated in the family since we were 5 and 6,im a year younger than your mother. My grandmother, Clotilda had made the decision to.Even some of my cousins and other relatives I dont exactly know." he chuckled.

 "How?" Asked Cassidy

 "well sweetie,in our family some of us are qite special." Edwick replied to Cassidy

 "Special? in what way?" Cassidy once again asked

 Warren the said right before Edwick could even say anything,he means that some of us are not bad like mom"

 Edwick looked at Warren and then over at Cassidy then said "Not really,and correct Warren.."

 "not really and correct?" Warren interupted looking at Edwick confused.

 "What I mean,is that we are a very special family. Those brought to this house are blessed with the gift,those taken from the house are,well..pretty much screwed." Edwick said while putting his feet up on the coffee table.

 Takota then spoke out "what do you mean?"

 Edwick then replied while scratching the back of his neck, "what I mean is you three are witches and well,a warlock" looking over at Warren.

 Warren had a weirded out look on his face. Takota laughed in a sarcastic way while saying "Ha! Sure if we were witches and a warlock we would have a mother that is one too not a drug addicted mom who leaves us to live in a parking lot for days,like she did last week!"

 Edwick put his feet down from the coffee table and leaned forward,and said "because,your mother was cursed. Those of evil blood were to be cursed with no magical powers and an ugly life like their magic would have been."

 Warren looked at Takota and said "That kinda makes sence,mom is not a good person,she lies,cheats and steals.Shes been jail how many times? Not to menchion she isnt like the other moms we've met."

 Takota agreed with Warren that their mom wasnt a pretty person.

 Cassidy looked around the room and then at Edwick and asked "can you do magic?"

 Edwick chuckled and siad "Of course!" he pulled out his wand it was pewter with a dragon around it. He waved it and opened the window. The white cat that was out side on the porch while the kids were waiting came in. The cat leaped in and looked at Edwick saying "thanks old friend!"

 Warren's eyes grew big and said "He talked."

 Edwick laughed saying "of course! you didnt think we had silent familars did you?"

 "Familars?" warren questioned.

"yes! A witches or Warlocks pet." Edwick said to Warren.

 "This is the family familar Alister,Alister these are.." right before Edwick could continue Alister said "I know who they are,I was hanging around on the porch with them,that one is Takota,that one is Warren and the littlest one is Cassidy." He said while looking at each of the kids.

 Edwick tilted his head and whispered "Alister im not sure the kids knew that,or your name."

 Alister looked up at Edwick and replied "I know,but I just wanted to see their reaction to me knowing what they didnt know I knew."

 "Gee,like thats not confusing" Takota mumbled while Edwick and Alister bickered.

 Warren pulled out his magazine and read while Takota watched the two bicker and Cassidy sat back giggling.

 Takota finally stood up and shouted "ok!"

 Edwick and Alister looked at Takota and then eachother. Alister leaped up on the other blue seat beside Edwicks. Edwick took a seat as Takota sat back down.

 "How long have you been in the family Alister?" Takota asked

 "Its been almost a century,Ive been here since 1911." Replied Alister.

 "before you even think about asking I am not in any relation to Alister Crowley." Alister said.

 "Who's he?" Cassidy asked having a confused look on her face. Before Alister could answer Edwick got up from his seat and said "I bet you three are starved,how about we go into the kitchen and see how my stew is cooking up,shall we?"

 The kids got up and followed him,Cassidy walked over to the seat and picked Alister to take to the kitchen.

 "Have a seat children,im going to stir this up a bit and add a few finishing touches."

 Cassidy wiggled her fingers in front of Alister to play, Alister squinted his eyes and moved this head to the side and said "I am not a lazy house cat."

 Cassidy giggled and then said "you are now! you can be my baby!"

 Alister rolled his eyes and said "oh no"

 "Ok! Stew is ready!" Edwick said while filling up the five bowls he had beside the pot. He walked over to place them in front of the kids and Alister of course. Edwick grabed his bowl and sat down to eat.

 Cassidy then asked as Edwick was taking a bite "Uncle Edwick,do you make potions?"

 Edwick then answered after swallowing "of course! infact.."

he got up and walked over to a large book shelf behind the table and pulled out a large brown leather book with pewter.

 "Here is a book of some potions that are mostly used,my

great-great grandmother and grandfather  Virginia and Barnabas,who would be yout great-great-great grandparents made this book. They were great with herbs too,the also created an Herb Grimore. Let me see if I can find it." Edwick looked and pulled out a small brown leather journal. He opened it,inside was dried pressed herbs and writing.

 "Yup,this is Great-Great grandpa Baranbas' handwriting,he always had a chicken scratch cursive look to his writing. I do know that great-great grandma Virginia wrote the potions book,because the book was hand crafted by great-great grandpa."

 He opended the potions book it had illustrations of how the potions were to be created and made.

  "Is there a spell book? Like in movies?" Warren asked

 Edwick laughed and said "Not like in the movies but we have one,would you like to see?" He asked the children.

 The kids all got up and followed Edwick up stairs,he took them to small room up stairs where on a stand a large tan colored book sat. Edwick walked over to the book and opened it

 "hmm,lets see what should I show you." he scrowlled his finger down the table of contenets. Warren looked over and asked

"how long has this book been around?"

 Edwick fliped the page over and pointed down at the bottom of a note written that read

 

 Felicity 1740

 

"Who's Felicity?" Takota asked Edwick

Edwick replied "Felicity was the first witch of this Family,She came over here in 1730 with her father. Her mother is unknown all that as ever known was that she died on her way to America. Her father is unknown as well,im guessing she felt alone when it came to being a witch."

 "How do you know that she was the only witch in her family?" Cassidy asked.

 "Theres no menchion of her mother or father being magical,see Felicity was only 11 when her mother died and came here. She would have known. Infact.." He fliped the page and it read

 

 "I hid my powers,my mother and father would have been disapointed with me,when I had my sons I decided to make this book for them and generations to come."

 

 Edwick closed the book and said to the kids "well,I think its getting late how about I set you three up in your rooms."

 "Rooms?" Takota  asked.

 "of course! This house is full of rooms!: Edwick replied

Edwick lead the kids out of the room and walked down the hall,he turned to the left and opened up a door and said "Here Warren,I think this room will be gret for you!"

Warren looked in and saw a bed,a desk and a book shelf. It was the room he had always wanted. Warren went in and said "Wow! This is amazing!" Edwick smiled and said "and Takota! I think I have the perfect room for you! He opened up the door next to Warrens room it had a bed,and a vanity. Takota looked in and said "oh my! Ive always wanted a vanity!" Edwick looked at Takota and said to her "you remind me so much of my Aunt Lorrane,you are quiet but your personality shows so vibrantly."

Takota smiled and walked over to the vanity,it had beautiful bottles of perfume,nail polish and some lip colors. there was a hair brush and miorror. Takota picked up the brush and began to brush her hair,she turned to Edwick and said "Its perfect!"

 Edwick smiled and said "im glad,good night hun."

He walked out and took Cassidy's hand and said "now sweetie let me show you your room." He opened a door by Takotas room it had a bed and lots of dolls. Cassidy gasped and said "Dolls! Ive always wanted dolls!" she walked over to a shelf a picked up a red headed doll and craddled her and said "she's pretty. Thank you Uncle Edwick" Edwick smiled and said "your welcome hun,I was hopping you would like them."

 Cassidy said "I love them"

 Edwick said "im glad,good night sweetie,sweet dreams." and walked down the hall to his room.

 

  



© 2011 Apple Newhouse


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
Added on April 1, 2011
Last Updated on April 3, 2011


Author

Apple Newhouse
Apple Newhouse

My Dreams, CA



About
~about me~ I have changed so much,I am like seasons always changing,like the tides always changing. I am like a butterfly free and interesting to watch. .. more..

Writing