Chapter One: Diomedes

Chapter One: Diomedes

A Chapter by Victor Cartel

            Diomedes and my twin, Alexander, were blade on blade in battle with each other. Both of them were slightly injured. They had scratches and cuts all over from near-hits they'd gotten on each other and Alexander had a slight limp. Diomedes had probably been hit in the shoulder or elbow; I could tell because of how difficult it seemed for him to hold up his sword. Diomedes’ simple b*****d blade was easily being held back by my brother’s golden short-sword, but my twin’s strength was no match for his built-for-war muscles.

            “Alexander, no!” I screamed and held out a hand, then felt the pain in my throat and fell to my knees, holding my neck and coughing. The statue of Athena was up in flames, and the smoke was everywhere. My scream definitely drew attention. Diomedes and Alexander both stopped dead in their tracks enough to see me fall.

            “Ambrosia! Thank the Gods, you’re not dead,” my brother sighed in relief. “I thought fighting was a lost cause at this point…”

            I finally finished coughing, “Alexander, why are you fighting this man? Please, I wish to leave…can we not go and let your duel wage away from here on better turf?”

            Diomedes chuckled. “Your sibling is funny. If you give her to me as compensation we can do as she pleases and you can duel me for her back.”

            Alexander jumped up and kicked Diomedes in the chest, flipping back and scraping him across the forearm with his golden blade, then landed a few feet back. “You’re funny for thinking I’d do such a thing. I’m a hero, not a double-crossing b*****d such as yourself.”

            Diomedes hadn’t fallen but was holding his arm in pain. The cut was deep and bleeding. “Inferior child! You don’t know who you are messing with!”

            “Likewise, war-lord, I believe I’m the one you underestimate,” my brother stated looking at me with a wink. “We’ll be out of here soon,” he promised, “I swear I’ll keep you safe.”

            I couldn’t turn away. It was like a crash; I wanted to look away but I just couldn’t.

            Diomedes took a look at me and let go of his arm. “She’s your weak spot? I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.” Diomedes began to run at me with a barbaric scream, holding his blade up with now his opposite arm so as to not hurt himself further. This proved a mistake, however, on his part.

            Alexander ran and slid in front of me, blocking the attack and hitting the man’s blade away. My twin smirked and held his golden sword with two hands at Diomedes’ neck. “Any last words?”

            “Yes…” He smiled and chuckled under his breath. “See you in the Underworld...”

            Alexander gave him a disgusted look, and then without remorse stabbed the tip of his blade into his opponent’s jugular, not even flinching at the blood as it sprayed across his face, or groaned at the angry and disgusting last grunt the man made as his neck snapped in a loud cracking noise.

            “Come on Ambrosia, let’s go. No need to grieve the dead today.” Alexander helped me up and tore a bit of cloth off of his once white robes, now grayed with ash and sprinkled with dirt, and put it to my face. “Breathe through this. The smoke will feel less thick in your chest.”

            I coughed a few times with a nod, and then put it to my mouth and nose. It was definitely easier to breathe through than the smoke, but still difficult. We began to walk away when we heard clapping behind us.

            “You’ve done a great job for a common soldier…” A man’s voice said, yelling over the ever growing flames. “…but not quite good enough to defeat a war lord.” We turned around, listening to the swish sound of a blade being drawn, specifically a long sword.

            Before us stood a man, identical to the one Alexander had killed moments ago, only with a more determined look in his eyes than the other him could hope to give. We were in awe…Alexander and I both looked down at the dead body and saw someone completely different. “Wha-what happened?” I dared to ask.

            Alexander’s look of surprised was replaced with his own determination. “So you do have a Goddess’s help…”

            He laughed minaically. "Why do you think I chose this temple!? Fool - I am Athena's favorite!"

            "Tch..." Alexander handed me something wrapped in cloth. "Hold this, sister. If this battle is not over quickly, leave and guard that with your life."

            I nodded. "What...what exactly is this, brother?"



© 2011 Victor Cartel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on February 27, 2011
Last Updated on February 27, 2011


Author

Victor Cartel
Victor Cartel

Westminster, CO



About
Check the about me page on my website, Ashira's Notebook, for an extensive survey about myself. more..

Writing
4/1/13 4/1/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel


4/2/13 4/2/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel


4/3/13 4/3/13

A Chapter by Victor Cartel