~ Dumb, but not Deaf.

~ Dumb, but not Deaf.

A Story by Basma Hesham

Yesterday, after finishing some kind of charity event, I noticed a person, a dumb person �" and by ‘dumb’ I mean cannot speak -. He works as a guard in the school I was in. He just guards the school every single day and night, not having any progress in his life or anything. Just guarding.

That wasn’t the thing that attracted me to him, no. It wasn’t the fact the he was dumb that made me feel sorry for him. It was the fact that some kids whose parents didn’t teach what’s right or wrong, kept mocking the guy and laughing over the voices he makes, when he’s trying so hard to say a word. I watched in silence.

I don’t know what stopped me from asking these kids to behave, he looked like he didn’t need any help, he seemed so strong and acted like he didn’t care about any of them or any of their words, he just kept pushing them away with no expression on his face, until they finally ran away like little cowards.

After that he came back to his room to complete his daily routine.

That’s why my eyes could see, but my heart wasn’t satisfied. I couldn’t help thinking, thinking and thinking ..

When the night comes, and we can finally hide in the darkness, I bet that this man cries, he must be doing it. No matter how strong he tries to look, I know that night’s darkness is where this man cries it all out, blames his luck and probably pray for a better tomorrow �" depends on his religious status �" .

How many times does he have to face this? How many times does he feel a heart-break when someone talks and points out his one big ‘flaw’? He may be dumb, he might not know how to express, or yell right at the world and he doesn’t know how to fight back. But I’m quite certain that God didn’t leave him so helpless. There has to be balance, I don’t know what caused it, but I’m sure it helped him survive it all till this very day.

The man might be dumb, but he’s not blind or deaf. Have some compassion.

© 2012 Basma Hesham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

very nice intresting story. in my own point of view, i think that gifts are distributed in a fair way amongst people but each one may have something more than the other. the guy may be unable to talk but Allah has given him inner satisfaction which makes him able to face all his life problems...on the other hand, those kids who laughed at him, do they really have such satisfaction even they have alot of other gifts?
i have really liked your story. nice read

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Basma Hesham

11 Years Ago

That's exactly my point. God is fair, in a way that if we looked shallowly, we may not see.
Th.. read more



Reviews

This story has a lot of truth in it. To the way most people just stand by and watch while someone is being bullied to the way the victims hide how much suffering they are going through. I liked it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is beautiful, i loved every bit of it and i couldnt agree more with you

Posted 11 Years Ago


Basma Hesham

11 Years Ago

dunnia, thanks so much! :')
dunnia

11 Years Ago

Your welcome :)
very nice intresting story. in my own point of view, i think that gifts are distributed in a fair way amongst people but each one may have something more than the other. the guy may be unable to talk but Allah has given him inner satisfaction which makes him able to face all his life problems...on the other hand, those kids who laughed at him, do they really have such satisfaction even they have alot of other gifts?
i have really liked your story. nice read

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Basma Hesham

11 Years Ago

That's exactly my point. God is fair, in a way that if we looked shallowly, we may not see.
Th.. read more
This is so sad and beautiful. Our differences are what make us unique and amazing. Excellent and compelling write. :3

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Basma Hesham

11 Years Ago

They make us unique if we embrace them, not kill them and seek being 'normal'.
Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 9, 2012
Last Updated on December 9, 2012
Tags: Compassion Self-talk mercy cruel

Author

Basma Hesham
Basma Hesham

Cairo, Egypt



About
I am myself's biggest enemy. Yes, I am that crazy. a dentist-to-be , a writer-to-be. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Wonder I Wonder

A Poem by J. Write


I'm Selfish I'm Selfish

A Poem by J. Write