Student

Student

A Chapter by Ky
"

Let the lessons begin

"
For the next to 2 years and the rest of my life I trained as my father had taught me. Later in life I mastered both my body and the art my father taught me.

In Orion, it is the duty of the parents to educate the children until 8 years of age. At 8 children are sent to receive schooling in the basics. Common language, basic numbers and physical education. 

My first day was interesting to say the least. Both informative and inspirational. On my first day I ran afoul of Faulkner, a nobles son, a few months older than me. He thought due to my countried upbringing that I was less than he. He met my fist more than once. And found the floor more others.

Though I was not always the victor. As he had magic which I did not. And he often used this to his advantage. Learning early on it is far safer out of the range of my fists. The tides had completely turned. And I always found myself at a loss against him. So when I hit 12 years of age and could finally choose my electives. I decided to remove that weakness.

The academy court yard was bustling 

“Come to order” called Marcus Arcanis, Dean of the academy, to the assembled families and their children. The crowd quieted down and looked up to the podium. 

“Welcome all to your first year of electives. Along with continuing your education in the basics. You will be able to select three other classes of your choosing” The children gathered eyed the stalls of the different classes with excitement. “Go on!” Marcus encouraged with a laugh, the kids all bolting from their parents side. Tygon ran to one of the stalls bedecked with weapons of all sorts. A grey skin orc sitting in front. 

“I’d like to apply for weapons ma’am” he said snapping to attention. She looked at him in a bored uncaring way. 

“Name?” He relaxed, he was used to this stoic demeanour from his father.

“Tygon Giges” he said. Her eyes widened and a slight smile graced her face for just a second.

“Jot your name down boy” she motioned to a notepad on the table. Which Tygon hurriedly filled out. As he turned around he saw Faulkner approaching the weapons stand. 

“Name?” the bored weapons instructor once again unfazed.

“Faulkner Berrington” he said proudly. As if that should open all the door is in the world.

“Ever held a sword?” Faulkner shook his head in the negative. She unsheathed her sword and threw it into the grounded before him. “Pick it up and attack me”

“Hold on, you didn’t test that Giges brat?” as the last syllable left his mouth he found himself falling back into the dirt.

“I don’t need to, I’ve served with his father. And I know that man would not let his son go untrained” She loomed over him “Now get up and draw the sword or crawl away to one of your craft classes”

Tygon had already moved away but stopped to watch the debacle. And seeing it at its end, and having a mirthful giggle at Faulkner’s misfortune walked on some more. Faulkner pulled himself up. And drew the sword from the ground “F**k you Giges” 

Tygon heard his roar of anger and side stepped at the last minute cocking his elbow to catch the other boy in the chest. Not even looking down at him as he walked towards another stall that peaked his interest. 

“Welcome young sir, interested in Elemental Magic?” said the man in flowing robes. Tygon looked at the man and at his stall. Different coloured flames dancing around it.

“Well I was thinking of taking some magical study, but I don’t know anything about magic so I don’t know which one to choose?” Answered Tygon honestly. The instructor nodded understandingly.

“The arcane is powerful but usually reserved for those with innate gift to magic. Elements, well anyone can learn at least the basics. And some are lucky enough to have an affinity to all of them” Tygon stood there pondering. Looking over to the arcane stall and Faulkner’s effortless admission. 

“Am I worth of such magic?” he asked himself mostly though loud enough for the instructor to hear. Jean-Peirre smiled encouragingly. Leading him it a small disc on the stalls table. Lifting it he handed it to Tygon, who gripped it with both hands. The polished disk soon clouded over as if hit with a cold breeze. 

“I’d say you’re worthy my child. For that is the mirror of affinity. It reacts differently to all people. But one thing is certain, if you were not worthy it would not of reacted at all” Tygon handed the mirror back and signed his name on the ledger. He looked at the other stalls pondering his next choice. When one of the signs caught his eyes

“Tell them to go to hell, in a way that makes it sound like they’ll enjoy the trip - Diplomacy” 

He moved to that stall laughing, “There is at least one person that should take the trip” signing his name on the ledger.

*****

Tygon blocked the downward chop his blade tilted to let the other weapon fall before looping around with a counter slice to his side. Which Faulkner slapped away. Tygon quickly disengaged.  Stepping back and lunging forward scoring a hit. Even though the blades were blunted he could see that the blow had wounded Faulkner's ego.

Both combatants once again took there stances. Tygon is a low guard preparing to attack. And Faulkner in a mid guard ready to defend. Tygon lunged forward with a thrust. Faulkner blocking and pushing his sword away before drawing up and over for another downward chop. Tygon caught the blow once more dropping the opposing blade of his slanted high guard and lunging in towards his gut scoring another point. Faulkner could not conceal his fury, his face red his breath shallow, and his eyes glaring at Tygon. Not even taking the time to set his stance Faulkner lunged forward. Tygon reacted on instant slapping the thrusting blade aside and looping down for a chop to the collar bone.

Faulkner threw down his sword. And struck Tygon in the shoulder, speaking a word of command. Tygon flew across the room as if slapped by a giant hand crashing into the wall.  The air knocked out of him. 

Pulling himself up he shifted into his tiger form. His silver and black fur bristling, and his jade green eyes glaring in anger. He sank low, coiling his powerful leg muscles and sprang forward. Clearing the 7 metres in a single powerful leap. Landing squarely on Faulkner and pinning him beneath his powerful claws. Faulkner was already panicking and the roar from Tygon’s teethy maw Caused him to pass out entirely. 

“Mister Giges!” shouted the weapons master as Tygon went to make himself comfy on the unconscious boy. He looked as sheepishly as a tiger could and transformed back into his human form. 

“Sorry ma’am” his head down cast “I lost my temper” The instructor looked at him sternly

“Someone wake that fool up and then both of you follow me” her voice and tone giving no room for argument.


© 2020 Ky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on August 11, 2020
Last Updated on August 11, 2020


Author

Ky
Ky

Newcastle, Australia



About
The first book I remember reading was R.A.Salvatores "The Crystal Shard" after reading that i began my quest to write something that would give a new generation of readers the same experience as i got.. more..

Writing
Opening Opening

A Chapter by Ky


Foundling Foundling

A Chapter by Ky


Adopted Adopted

A Chapter by Ky