Tactics

Tactics

A Chapter by Ky
"

Tygon learns to improvise

"
Tygon swung the heavy halberd. The axe like blade at its 6 foot tip cumbersome and hard to manage for someone used to the shorter swords and axes they had been training with previous. He wasn’t the only one struggling. Everybody in the class was having trouble adapting to the larger weapons.

Though Tygon had done staff work with his father. That was light and nimble work. With an easy to manage quarter staff. This was like trying the breathe mud.

Off in the corner sat Sha’Zul lazily watching the lesson. The red doll like form of Crimson lounging on his fur.

“If you can master this weapon, you will be the bane of every horseman person the planet” said the instructor. “A line of these behind a shield wall. And you’ve pretty much one the day”

To demonstrate she lined half the class up with shields and the other with their halberd. Tygon cursed her as he was forced to keep the halberd.

“Shields up” drawing her sword she moved to towards the shield wall. Poking with her nimble blade trying to get through the defence. Whacking at shield and halberd but to no avail.

“That doesn’t prove anything. You’re on foot. A shield and a sword would do the same one on one” said one student holding a shield.

“Shall I call to the stables for a warhorse and prove it?” She retorted. Nearly jumping out of her skin as the rumbling voice of Shar’zul came from her side

“No need, I’ll serve as your mount” he lowered himself for her. The student blanched. His dark skin going pale

“We’re not trained to take on fighting mounts” he complained. Zul laughed.

“I’m playing the role of horse nothing more” And the instructor once again went up and down the shield wall knocking halberds abs shields pushing into them and forcing a few meaningless step backs but the formation held.

“What about a lance?” Asked another student. Holding a shield. The teacher grinned wickedly. The student body groaning. A red lance flying towards her

“My time to shine” said crimson in his lance form. The instructor sheathed her sword and grabbed the lance. She rode Shar’Zul to the back of the class. Braced the lance under her arm.

“Ready?” She called. Tygon answered no looking to his class mates. Struck by an idea. He held his hand up for her to wait as he abs his class mates gathered in a huddle.

“When she charges let her come. Shields drop and lift them over your head and let her abs her horse go over the top. Then halberds step through them and reform the wall. You’ll shorten her charge distance on the return.” He looked at the blunt halberds axe and spike. “If you can, score some hits as she passes”

“Isn’t he like your grandfather or something. Won’t we hurt him?” Asked the dark skin boy. Tygon shrugged.

“Score a hit, just don’t break him. I like having around” They retook formation. “Ready!”

“Oorah!” Came the call from the gathered students. And the teacher rode full pelt towards them lance leveled. Her surprise was complete as the shields dropped. Abs her momentum carried over them like steppingstones. The blunted halberd spikes scoring hits on her ankles and lower leg and the belly of the great cat. Who landed on the other side with a brief look of pain on his face. And then wonder as he took on the solid wall of shields. The spikes of the halberds bristling over the top. Both the instructor and Sha realised the predicament. They didn’t have enough room to mount a successful charge. And the wall was more impenetrable than ever. The instructor realising that had the blades been sharp and combat ready get ‘horse’ would like be dead. She badly wounded on the legs. In short, very dead.

“Who’s idea was that?” She asked. Her tone such that it was hard to tell approval or dis. Tygon stepped forward handing his halberd to a fellow student.

“Mine ma’am, sorry Sha’Zul” he said looking from the teacher to the great cat. Who shook his head.

“No need Tyr, I volunteered to be the war mount, though I dare so I won’t be as quick to volunteer next time.” He chuckled the instructor shaking with his laughter.

“Where did you learn that tactic” asked the instructor dismounting. Tygon motioned to the room. The instructor smiled. Inspiration in the heat of battle. This kid would go far


© 2022 Ky


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on March 6, 2022
Last Updated on March 6, 2022


Author

Ky
Ky

Newcastle, Australia



About
The first book I remember reading was R.A.Salvatores "The Crystal Shard" after reading that i began my quest to write something that would give a new generation of readers the same experience as i got.. more..

Writing
Opening Opening

A Chapter by Ky


Foundling Foundling

A Chapter by Ky


Adopted Adopted

A Chapter by Ky