COOL JOE chapter 3

COOL JOE chapter 3

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

Continuation of story COOL JOE

"
TESS

I still can't get over my Joe's death. It's been three years of hell! Yeah I know I should move on, but what does that mean? move to another place? move to get re-married? move to get a job?

I still feel the guilt. I was up early that morning, (I sleep like a log), Joe would never jump out of that window! As long as I live, I'll have nightmares about that accident. Was it really an accident? I guess I'll never know how depressed Joe truly felt; I mean I know he wasn't well; he had pneumonia and a hard feeling on his chest; some nights he felt he couldn't breathe. So, I put special compresses on his chest, but did I ever think he would jump out of the window? Never.

I wake up to the sound of sirens and horns and screams; but, nothing new. I hear that all the time in Brooklyn. I pop my head up, it's still dark, so I snore myself back to sleep.

At about 7:00am, my neighbor Mrs. Fachiolo,knocks on my door screaming her head off. Words cannot come out...she is breathing heavy. I can tell something is very wrong. She grabs me by the arm and points to the window. I look down, see a body and collapse. Everything after that is like a fog, I am in another world and this is just a nightmare. I know it's true when Eddie the cop ( who I know from the neighborhood) burst into the apartment and put his arm around me. My sobs are like rain falling from heaven. My kids come over to console me, then other relatives, their friends and some of Joe's body guards and other underworld characters. Flowers and food fill the apartment.. Joe's body is so damaged, that we must have a closed coffin. The priest comes to say some prayers, then slugs down a brandy and leaves.

All I can say is the funeral is huge; many have to stand outside and can't hear the sermon. I have to admit it is long, some of it in Latin and pretty boring. But, out of love and respect for my Joe, we all get through it.

Now, three years later, I still wear a lot of black clothes and think of Joe often. My kids are a comfort and visit a lot, but there's nothing like losing a husband.

Lately my kids notice that my memory isn't too good. They say that I repeat myself and forget where I am half the time; I really don't notice it myself, except once when I get into a cab and forget my own address; If others notice it, it must be true. Pete, my oldest, thinks that I should see a neurologist to check me out. He says he'll escort me, so I guess I'll go.

About a week after the doc appointment (where the doc makes me touch my nose, counting and all that stuff, so annoying), the test results come back and Pete reads the English version (versus the medical jargon). He has a stern look on his face.
"What's goin on Pete"?
"I'm still reading ma."
(minutes seem like hours go by)
Pete looks me straight in the face.
"Ma, I'm no genius, but this looks to me like you got dementia."
"What does that mean Pete?"
"It means your brain isn't acting right; it's little off kilter ma."
"how could that be possible? It came on so fast. I'm not seein double or nothin."
"Sometimes it just does ma; We'll set you up for the best treatment okay ma? I'm gonna call the other kids and we'll have a plan for you ma."
"Yeah, but who's gonna pay Pete?"
"I'll take care of that part ma. You just relax and don't worry. I got connections. Now I'm gonna take you home to rest, then Robbie will come over for a visit."

"Hey Eddie"
"Yeah Pete?"
"I don't know if you know that my mom's got dementia."
"No Pete, how would I know?"
"I just told ya, that's how."
"Well she needs expensive treatment and honestly I don't have the dough. Her insurance won't cover all of it ya know?"
"Yeah I know, so what do you want from me?"
"Well I thought maybe you could give me a loan?"
"Ah come on Pete, you already owe me."
"Eddie listen, you're already in good standing with the boss, so I think he'll listen to you."
"I'll get back to ya Pete, after I speak to the boss. Don't count on it."

"Hey ma, Pete tells me he thinks he can get some dough from the boss."
"For what Robbie?"
"Remember ma you have dementia and you need medical help; your insurance is not good enough, so we need to bargain with the boss. We need some household help in here to keep you on path."
"What path?"
"The path of getting better ma."

I'm so fed up with these boss characters; they make things so hard for us. It's always somethin like I give to you, then you owe me with lots of interest; it's like funny money, which they keep under their mattresses. But my boys are so involved with loan sharks, they gotta keep their cool, or they'll get bounced off, just like Donny. I can hardly say his name or I'll start to bawl.

I try to keep myself busy. I have friends who meet every Tuesday to play cards. They don't notice my dementia. Maybe they're as crazy as me.  We don't play for real money, just chips. Near the end of our game, we all have a sip of brandy. It makes me feel good so I slug it down. When I get home, I'm a little tipsy so I lay down and take a nap. Between doing my paperwork and seeing my family, I keep pretty busy. But at night before I go to sleep, I pray to Joe and Donny, may their souls rest in peace.

One day I decide to make an omelet for breakfast, something I don't do often. I usually stir up the eggs and put a little milk in them to make them fluffy. I wear a house coat in the mornings before I go out for errands. I get out the frying pan, and turn on the gas stove. I'm stirring the eggs, butter and salt in the pan; all of a sudden, I see that the sleeve of my housecoat is on fire. I scream and get some water, but it won't go out. I scream again and my neighbor comes running in and beats me with a broom. Well, she put the fire out, but my arm and neck are burned. I fall to the floor in pain. She calls Robbie, my son. The next thing I know, an ambulance comes and attends to me; I am on my way to the hospital emergency room. I can't talk anymore, cause I have a mask on my face.

Hey, Pete here. Weeks go by painfully slow with ma in the burn unit. I didn't think it was this bad. My family prays to the saints. Doctors come and go. Nurses change ma's bandages. The kids cry at different times and there is no silence except for prayer. Even two bosses, Eddie and Johnnie, come to visit. They pray too. There is no enemy now. All eyes are on Tess.

Ma slips into a coma. The doctors look worried. The family reads their faces. A few more painful days pass and ma's heart stops beating. She lays there like angel of death. We weep and whisper that we love her and that now she is in the hands of God.

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The emotions, the way you wrote this, it all clicks as you read it- it's so satisfying and feels like I'm reading a book I pulled off the shelf that's got me hooked. You can feel the tragedy and the sadness of this chapter, but particularly the resignation in the character. The ending of the chapter is chilling. I love how you don't stray or hide from the harshness and I really enjoy the dialogue, the way you wrote the palpable pain and feeling of just giving up. I can't wait to read more!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading this and a lovely review. This my first attempt so it’s inspiring….ta.. read more


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

The emotions, the way you wrote this, it all clicks as you read it- it's so satisfying and feels like I'm reading a book I pulled off the shelf that's got me hooked. You can feel the tragedy and the sadness of this chapter, but particularly the resignation in the character. The ending of the chapter is chilling. I love how you don't stray or hide from the harshness and I really enjoy the dialogue, the way you wrote the palpable pain and feeling of just giving up. I can't wait to read more!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading this and a lovely review. This my first attempt so it’s inspiring….ta.. read more
A lot happens in this chapter, most of it tragic or regrettable. You use dialogue to your advantage quite well, showing the reader instead of telling. Will fate ever deal these folks a better hand?

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, really appreciate it ... a lot more happens in this family saga... keep reading!.. read more
The way we're all heading, well, last year anyway.
I suppose if you want to save money, mummy has to go.
Mind you, will he need a loan for those bloody big funerals.
Nothing really changes through the years I've noticed.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

thanks for the review, the sad thing is some if it is true!!!
continue, you'll like it!!!
dear Betty... you definitely have a talent for writing. Unfortunately these things do happen in life for real. I try to stay healthy mentally and otherwise; so poems are easier for me to review. I do have a sense of loss and foreboding— so you do stir a reader with dealing the cards with apprehension. tenderly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Dearest Pat
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my chapter...some of my great grand re.. read more
I haven't seen the preceding chapters, but the part where I have come in depicts an older woman's slide into dementia. She is fortunate to have the assistance of her sons, who seem to be mob types, as was her late husband, whom she describes as being both emotionally and physically ill and may have committed suicide by throwing himself out of a window. The story proceeds interestingly, seen from both the woman's point of view and that of her son Pete, who tries to marshal a support system for her, primarily by persuading a fellow mobster to get money from the "boss." Mom's dementia interrupts things when she is burned severely while trying to prepare a meal. The accident proves fatal. At chapter's end, Pete and his siblings are mourning her passing. The story is well paced, keeping our interest throughout.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Thanks John, yes each chapter if you look back) follows into another told by the kids in the “I �.. read more
I can't remember anything from earlier chapters by now, but this reads well without having anything else from your book being top-of-mind. You start out with bold happenings that sink us deep into your story right off & the pace of life-shaking things happening does not wane a bit. Always compelling & well-written. Your storytelling gets better & better. I definitely love your storytelling more than your poetry. My only complaint is that the point-of-view changes pretty often & that gave me a bit of a bump each time, trying to make sure I understand who is "I' at different points (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Hi Margie; Firstly, thank you for a glowing review! I’m trying to keep my characters in the first .. read more
barleygirl

3 Years Ago

The biggest progress in your poetry is going from being more of a mechanical expression of cerebral .. read more
This chapter really opens up on the humanity of the characters and their lives behind all else that's going on. It also asks if we should support or even empathise with anyone not quite legit, asking if it is just bad luck or karma for past deeds and shady dealings.
I like how the facts of misdeeds are plain but the reader still supports the characters, perhaps like life today, good guys are rare 😀
Now with Ma gone, will the rest stick or fold. The Ma is the one who keeps family together, so great place to end and leave us wanting more.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Lorry, I’m thrilled that you read this chapter and I love your in-depth comments about it; there i.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 12, 2020
Last Updated on January 5, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Departure The Departure

A Chapter by Wild Rose