Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

A Chapter by Sylph Drake
"

Perhaps hunting humanoid near-immortal murderers isn't the safest job in the world. Especially if you can't get them all at the same time.

"
          "C'mon Lexi."  Nathaniel said as they approached the opening in their fence.  "We're almost home.  Just a little bit more."
          Lexi walked like the living dead.
          Nathaniel's a bit of a sucker for tired kids.
          Nathaniel carried his sister up the front walk and set her inside the door.
          He froze when he felt the cold stares on his back.  He turned to see a tall, scarred man grinning malevolently at him from the gap in the fence he had just come through.
         Although, perhaps "man" isn't the word.
         The word is vampire.
         "Lexi, I want you to go inside and get Mom and Dad."  he said slowly, pulling the door partway closed.  "Tell them their work just followed them home."
         "Is someone --" Alexia started, leaning to look past the door.
         "Lexi, go!"  Nathaniel shouted, rushing inside  and slamming the door shut as the vampire -- somehow perfectly happy in full evening sunlight -- reached it, creating a resounding double bang.
         It didn't take a vampire hunters son to realize this one wasn't normal.  Everyone knew they burned in the sun, and here this one had an entire coven --undoubtedly vampiric, and undoubtedly rather tan.  Nathaniel could feel the wards he was central to straining uselessly against this new foe.
         Nathaniel rolled away from the door as a now clawed hand burst through.
         "Come, my children," the leader laugh, pulling his hand out of the hole,  "your brothers will be avenged soon!"  He stepped away from the door, laughing all the while.
         The door exploded into the hallway.
         The creature responsible looked to be a man only a few years older than Nathaniel.  His shoulders were hunched, his claws and teeth bared, but his stare was vacant.
         "Good, David." the leader said, patting him on the shoulder.
         No reaction.
         "Secure the boy." he said, motioning carelessly with one hand.  Two more minions appeared and grabbed Nathaniel before the sound faded.  "He is...unnecessary, but he could prove useful."
          Nathaniel's struggling proved unnecessary.
          The minions jumped back, their hands burned.
          This received a silent stare from the leader.
          "David." he snapped.  The man obeyed silently and ignored the burns slowly spreading up his arms.  The leader stepped forward and looked at Nathaniel for a long moment before muttering "Most interesting..." and disappearing down the hallway.
          Alexia screamed.
          "Don't touch her!"  Nathaniel screamed, throwing the larger, vampiric challenger to the ground with newfound strength.  "You leave her alone!"
          It took four vampires to stop him, and three to hold him down.  And they were big beasties.
          A Hunter's gun fired.
          There was an inhuman screech, a loud crash, and his mother screamed.
          Nathaniel froze.
          His blood ran cold as he felt his father die within his wards.
          Alexia was crying.
          And the monster who'd killed their father started to laugh.
          Nathaniel woke from his shocked daze, fighting with a vengeance.
          Deidra and Alexia were pulled, sobbing into the entryway.
          The leader grabbed the mother by her hair and forced her to look him in the eye.
          "You saw your husband die.  Childs play."  he said.  Her crying caught, for an instant overtaken by fear.  "Now comes the real pain.  I'm taking you daughter with me, just as you took so many of my children from me."  He paused for a moment, then a wicked grin spread across his face as the family shouted their protests.  "Of course," he turned toward Nathaniel, freezing him in place.  "taking her away isn't exactly the same.  And since I can't take this one with me..." he grabbed Nathaniel's chin in one hand, which immediately began to smolder.  "There's more than one way to take someone away.  I find the best is to leave them where they fall." His grin widened and he tipped Nathaniel's head to the side.  "Tell the people on the other side Desarache sent you.  Tell those failures it was me  that killed you."
          And he bit down hard on Nathaniel's neck.
          Nathaniel screamed in agony as a cold burn like dry-ice flooded through flooded through his body.  He fell limp, incapable of even subconscious reaction to the pain.
          "Put him outside."  Desarache said, Nathaniel's blood burning it's way down his grinning face.  "Let the world know how we deal with those who threaten us."
          And the widow was left in hysterics, her daughter taken away, and her son dying on the front walk.
          The last sound heard from the monsters as they left was Alexia Valentine screaming for her dying brother.
          He heard.


© 2010 Sylph Drake


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've got good ideas, but it could use some work you slipped into 3rd person and 1st person a couple times. And there were a couple grammar problems.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ouch.
I could feel the bite myself.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EPIC.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 20, 2010
Last Updated on August 22, 2010


Author

Sylph Drake
Sylph Drake

A small town you've never heard of before, and never will again, ID



About
I'm a poet, an artist, and sculptor, but lately I'm mostly a fantasy writer. I'm highly satirical, and I tend to get a bit too far into my characters heads, so if it seems like another person is writ.. more..

Writing