Who Watches the Watchmen?

Who Watches the Watchmen?

A Story by 0_o Abbie
"

For a contest.

"
I sit on my roof. Looking out as dusk settled on the watchtowers that held our guardians. They were to protect us from the darkness that layed just beyond the great walls. But sometimes I wonder if we are really safe. What if darkness turned one of the guardians? Who watches the watchmen?

"Sarah!"

I jumped. Then shook my head. Stupid uncle. Can't survive a minute without me to get him wine. "Coming!" I yell back, making sure to keep the distaste out of my voice.

I took one last look at the watchtower and jumped from the roof onto my balcony. My skirts fluttering through the air. I landed and bend my knees absorbing the impact. I ran through my room and out the door. Down the stairs and into my uncle's study. He sat behind his ancient desk in his high backed chair. "Yes Uncle?"

"Fetch me some wine. And be quick about it."

I nodded, curtsied and scurried out the door. When it comes to Uncle, it's best to obey and obey quickly. I remembered the lashing I got last year and hurried my steps. My uncle was not a cruel man, but a proud one. He expected his orders obeyed. I stepped into the kitchen and looked around for the wine cask. Finding it I lifted the heavy thing and poured my uncle a generous helping.

I quickly ran back to my uncle and handed him the goblet. "Uncle. Anything else?"

He coughed and nodded. "I need you to go into town tomorrow and fetch me a message from the blacksmith and the seamstress. I'll give you a few extra coins for yourself. Run along now."

I curtsied and hurried from the room. My cheeks red from the thought of tomorrow. The blacksmith's apprentice was a scoundrel and was always causing trouble for me. I could only hope for the best.

--

I walked on the cobblestone road heading for the blacksmith. I figured I might as well take the worst first so the day could only get better. As I reached the blacksmith's building I took a deep breath and walked inside. I was thankful to see the master, Mr. Kennall, was here. He always tempered Mr. Lake, his apprentice.

I smiled brightly, almost like I meant it. "Hello Mr. Kennall. How do you do?"

He turned. "Ah. Ms. Forest. Pleased to see you. I assume you're here for a message to your uncle."

I nodded. "Yes sir."

Mr. Lake appeared from the back. As he saw me a devilish smile spread across his face. "Well if it isn't beautiful Ms. Sarah Forest. How do you do?"

I clenched my jaw and forced myself to smile. "Hello Mr. Lake. Pleased to see you." That was a lie, he knew it, I knew it, Mr. Kennall knew it too.

His eyes roamed over me. I wanted to run, get out of his sight, but I still had a message to deliver. I turned to Mr. Kennall. "Mr. Kennall, the message for my uncle if you will." My tone was respectful as was required of a lady but my eyes got the job done.

He snapped into action. "Yes yes of course. Let me go and get it." He glanced at Mr. Lake and said, "Keep an eye on the shop for me Will."

Mr. Lake nodded and Mr. Kennall dissapeared around the back.

I let my fingers nervously toy with a ribbon handing from my dress. Mr. Lake's eyes again leered at me. I felt naked and nervous. He came around the counter. "How is your uncle Sarah?"

I glanced at him sharply. "My uncle is very well. I am not Sarah to you. I am Ms. Forest. Just as you are not Will, but Mr. Lake."

He took a step towards me. I took a step back. "Oh my dear Sarah. You may call me Will anytime you like."

"I am not yours by any stretch of the imagination. Address me Ms. Forest."

He took a step towards me again. "Dear Sarah. I could make you mine. I'll talk it over with you uncle. I'm sure he'll agree."

I held my ground and tightened my jaw. "Mr. Lake. I will not be treated in such a way. Or leered at for that matter."

He smiled. "But Sarah, I'm only watching the shop. You're in the shop, so I'm only doing my job by watching you." He took another step only a half foot away.

I glared. "Watch your distance Mr. Lake."

He grabbed me and pulled me close. I struggled to pull away but he held fast. "Hows this for distance Sarah?"

"Let go of me you pig headed scoundrel!" I yelled.

"I'm only watching the shop."

I remembered last night, 'Who watches the watchmen?'.

"William Lake. Take your hands off this respectable woman at once!" Came Mr. Kennall's voice.

I breathed a sigh of relief as Mr. Lake released me. I immediately stepped away. I was close to tears and I still needed to go to the seamstress. "Do you have the message?" I asked Mr. Kennall. Not daring to look at Mr. Lake.

He nodded and walked over to give it to me. I took it hurriedly and ran off. As I ran out the door I heard Mr. Kennall say, "William Lake! You should be ashamed of yourself. Did you see what you did to that poor girl? I should remove you as my apprentice!"

I put my hand to my mouth to stop a whimper. I felt tears well in my eyes but I refused to let them fall. I ran to a dark alley and let it comsume me. This is what is wrong with our world. We need watchmen to watch the watchmen.

© 2011 0_o Abbie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i think it could be a book. i like it. . . .one question where did ya get the idea for watchmen and why that name for them and what are their purpose of this story . . . .i liked it cant wait to read more. peace

Posted 12 Years Ago


I want to know what happens! abby-gail, write a sequel :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think this is amazing. Totally terrific! :)


Posted 13 Years Ago


extremely well written. cool piece of work.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2011
Last Updated on April 14, 2011

Author

0_o Abbie
0_o Abbie

TX



About
**Notice. Hi there. If you wanna be my friend then message me, talk to me, don't just send my a request. :D Thanks!** I'm just a teenage girl with tons of stories in my head with a little trouble g.. more..

Writing
Fluffy Fluffy

A Poem by 0_o Abbie


Obsolete Obsolete

A Story by 0_o Abbie





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5