Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Jessie
"

DISCLAIMER! Sorry if these are annoying, I just love J.K Rowling and want to be clear that there is NO infringement intended, none of the settings or characters (spare a few) belong to her.

"

Chapter 5

 

“James!”  I shouted, throwing my arms around his neck when I saw him.  He returned my hug.

“Hey, little rascal!  How was your summer?  You never come to visit.”  He said.  It was true, I’d never been to any of their homes, my parents wouldn’t have it.  I’d had Rose over quite a few times, though.

“It was dismal.”  I replied.  “I missed all of you.  Oh… Where is everyone?”   I discovered that the rest of our usual compartment was empty.

“They’re still saying goodbye to mum and dad.  I said my goodbyes at the house.”  He patted the spot next to him.  “How’s your head?”

“You always ask that.”

“It was an exciting game!”

“Five years ago!”  I crossed my arms, dramatically.

“Well, if you don’t want me to ask so often, stop acting so mental.”  He winked.  I was glad to be with my old friends again.  Al showed up next, and received a rough hug from me too.  I had become far more bold over the years, as I got closer to them.

“Al!”

“Hey, Soph.”  He said, laughing.

“Rose!” I threw my arms around her too.  She returned my hug with equal ferocity.

“I missed you!”  She said.  “You’re coming to The Burrow over Christmas break, I’m not giving you a choice.  I’ve just asked grandmum and she said it was all right, so you don’t have another option!”  She hugged me again.  The Burrow was the Weasley residence, though her parents and family had moved out a long time ago, they still met there for holidays and many times on summer vacations.  Though I hadn’t been able to see her much, I’d received many letters.

“All right.”  I said.  I sat back down next to James, and Al took the seat next to me before she could.  Trillium stuck her head in then, and received my love.  She laughed and sat by Rose.  Scorpius was the last of our little crew to join us, and I hugged him too.  He didn’t return it as happily as the rest of them had, but he still returned it.  That was a step in the right direction.  I sat back down by James and Al.  The train ride was shorter that year as I sat, surrounded by friends.  I fell asleep at one point, my head finding James’s shoulder.  I knew I would miss him, when the day came that he would graduate and name a new captain.  I tried to think of something else as his muscular arm found its way around my shoulder.  He was like the brother I never had.

We arrived and sat in the carriages.  I couldn’t see their drivers, but Al told me they were called Thestrals.  We reached the main hall to see a strange goblet at the head of the room.

“Oh yes!”  James said, shaking my shoulders.  “It’s here!  I have a chance!”  The Sorting Ceremony began before I could ask him why he was so excited.  I sat next to Al and Rose with James on Rose’s side like I always did.  We waited anxiously for Professor McGonagall to explain what the goblet was.  Before she did, we had guests.  First, there came a crew of girls, drawn in by a giant, flying carriage.  A large, aged woman stepped out, who Hagrid kissed on the hand.  Girls, who danced as they walked down between our tables, followed her.  Just visible from the dining hall, a huge ship appeared from within the lake, and a horde of boys with shaven heads, lead by a man who reminded me greatly of a Viking on steroids.  They all were seated.  As the first crew walked by, Al whispered that the ladies were from Beauxbatons Academy, and that the men were from Durmstrang.  I still didn’t know what to expect from the flaming goblet.

McGonagall explained that those of us in our sixth year or over could place our name in the Goblet of Fire to be a part of the Tri Wizard Tournament that year.  She told us of the dangers, and of the glory.  I understood now.

Over the next week, we welcomed them to our school, and talked excitedly.  We were then allowed to place our names in the Goblet.

“Are you putting yours in, Ro?”  I asked.

“Nah.  I don’t want to risk it.   You should!  You’re the smartest witch I know!”

“Yes, but I lack brawn, I’m afraid.  If I got chosen I’d probably die!”  I laughed.  James laughed next to me.

“Well I lack brain.  You and I would make a pretty good team, eh?”

“Riiiight,” I said.  Al laughed.

“Please, I have way more muscle than James does.”  He winked at me.  It was true, he had bloomed over the summer, and his biceps were twice the size they were last time, though I wouldn’t say he had more… I watched as James tried his luck.  He walked away from us and wrote his name on a slip of parchment, then let it catch fire inside of the Goblet.

“Well, might as well try my luck, eh?”  He winked.  “Come on, kiddies, it’s off to Quidditch practice for us!”  We shook our heads and followed him.  Al and I stayed up in the common room after practice that day.

“I’m not putting my name in, either.  It’s too dangerous.  I hear Scorpie put his name in though.  I sort of hope he gets named champion for us.”  Al said, quietly.

“You ought to put your name in.  You’re a Potter, after all.”  Yes, I’d learned of his father’s past by then.

“I’m afraid.  I don’t think I’d be good enough.  You would be, though.”  He caught my eye.  His eyes were the most beautiful green that there ever was.

“I love your eyes.”  I said, softly.  It came out before I could stop it.

“Thanks.”  He smiled.  “You’re really beautiful, you know that?”

“I do now…” He leaned in close.  I felt the heat from his body near mine, there was no one else in the common room now, they were all hanging out with the other students, and the pupils from other schools.  Now was the perfect time.  His face was so beautiful up close.  At this angle, I could see the little freckles on his nose, though you couldn’t see them from far away.  We were so close.  I waited, tension building, my whole body was on fire.  Would he?  He turned his head slightly.  How long had I waited for this?  His lips finally made contact with mine, they were soft and warm, just like the rest of him.  His hand brushed mine.  He pulled away, smiling.

“I thought you liked my brother.”  His smile faltered slightly.

“No!” I laughed.  “He’s like a brother to me.  I like you…” I blushed as I admitted it.  “I always have.”  I whispered.

“Well then…” His hand brushed mine, again “Will you-“

“GRYFFINDOR!”  James walked down the stairs.  “This is our year, boys and girls!  OH!  Hi there, kids.  Names are being drawn tomorrow.  Last call if you want to put your name in!  You haven’t yet, have you Al?”

“No…” He admitted.  “I’d hate to lower your chances.”

“Come on, Al.” I said, quietly, wondering what he was going to ask me.  “do you want to put your name in?”

“Sure…” He said, finally.  We walked him downstairs where we found Rose and Scorpius sitting and talking.  Their hands were inches away from each other.  I watched as Albus wrote his name shakily on a piece of parchment, then stepped over the glowing age line.  He stuck his name into the goblet and it was eaten up by the flame.  The few onlookers clapped, along with Rose and Scorpius, who’d followed us to the Goblet.

Now we just had to wait.

 

On that fateful day, when names were drawn from the Goblet of Fire, we all stood with baited breath as Professor McGonagall stood with the Viking headmaster and giant headmistress of the other schools.  She explained what she would do, and that Champions were to walk themselves into the room behind her.  She also introduced the Minister of Magic to read the names.  The goblet sparked and she smiled with a comment on how glad she was to have lived to see another tournament.  The Minister embraced her and kissed her on the cheek.  He introduced himself as Richard Rosebriar.

“The Durmstrang champion is…. Edmund VanStrike!”  A young man with a shaven head and bright blue eyes stepped up.  His muscles rippled from beneath his robe.  He bowed to Professor McGonagall, who curtsied in return.  “The Beauxbatons champion is… Astrid Thomas!”  A girl with dark hair tied up into a bun who wore an eternal smile walked up and curtsied to the headmasters and mistresses, then joined Edmund in the other room.  “And… The Hogwarts champion is…” Rosebriar waited with that permanent politician’s smile on his face.  The Goblet sparked and a piece of parchment fluttered out.  Breaths were held as his smile faltered.  “Well, it seems that we have another first in these games.  The Hogwarts champion is a team of Albus Potter and Sophia Frederick.”  My stomach dropped.  I felt James lift me to my feet and we started walking.

“Did you do this?”  I hissed at him.

“No, swear on my life.”  He whispered back.  We both walked solemnly into the room as anger flared in the eyes of every adult in the room.  Who would do this to us?  I wondered…

“Not again!”  Astrid rolled her eyes. “What is it with the Hogwarts champions?  Can’t there ever be just one?”

“Oh hush, they won’t let this happen.”  Edmund replied.

“But they let the young boy compete!”

“This is that boys son.  Aren’t you?”  Edmund turned to Al.

“Yes.  Harry Potter is my father.”  Al replied.

“How did you get both of your names in that goblet?”  Astrid asked, her smile long gone.

“We didn’t.” I replied.  “I didn’t even enter my name, and I watched him write his…”

“Who would have-” Albus started to ask when McGonagall walked in.

“You two must compete!”  She said, giving us a very stern look.  “But it won’t be fair to the others.  The Goblet is binding, and you both must compete together.”  She said, firmly.  “The good news is, the Goblet wasn’t done yet.  For some reason, each of them received a partner as well.  This is very fortunate for you two, for all of you, in fact.  Two heads are better than one.”

“Why did the Goblet do this?”  Astrid asked.

“We don’t know.   I will introduce you to your partners now.  Astrid Thomas, you will be paired with Elaine Dubois.  Edmund VanStrike, you will be with Samuel Peters.  You will now receive your first clue, and I bid you good night.  The Minister and I will try to discover the mysteries of the Goblet’s activity, but meanwhile, you will all be dismissed.  Good luck!”  She walked out with a swirl of her robes, bidding the other headmasters come with her.

“Well, at least it’s fair.”  Astrid said, as Elaine sat down.

“Yes…” Edmund smirked at his partner, Samuel.  “Very fair.”

Our first clue was a leaf, which could only mean one thing.  The Forest.  I got chills.  Each of our pairs received a different leaf.  The Minister, before walking out to join the others, said simply, “Due to the change in rules, you will all be expected to act as a team.  The challenges will be twice as hard, I promise you this.  Each one you must finish as a team.  Points will be deducted if you fail to do so, and lives may be lost.  Good luck!”


© 2013 Jessie


Author's Note

Jessie
Sorry for the abrupt font change at the end. Computers hate me haha
Let me know what you thought, and let the Tri Wizard Tournament begin ;D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats



Author

Jessie
Jessie

MI



About
Oh, hello there. Welcome to my little corner of the internet... Enjoy :) Feel free to review, I can't get better if I don't know that to fix n_n more..

Writing
Hopeless Hopeless

A Poem by Jessie


Random Prologue Random Prologue

A Story by Jessie


Nine Nine

A Poem by Jessie