Order's Up Chapter 1

Order's Up Chapter 1

A Chapter by Brokenarrow
"

Introduction

"

Allen Eric Canker. That’s my name and the first solid memory I have. Someone screaming in my face and dust everywhere. Along with the smell of death and being suffocated. I’ve rambled through the last 17 years of life feeling like a lamp someone switched off since the day I heard it. There were eleven years before it that I have no solid memory of. Once in a while I get an image of blue skies and laughing. The flashes of lighting and rain rippling reality of the world outside the windows I was looking through always catch me off guard because of the contrasts between that and current reality. But I can’t find an emotional connection for it to make any sense as to why it’s in my head. Its surreal seeing pictures of myself before then. I had a family. Probably friends. I looked happy. I consider it a blessing no one can read my thoughts and that I can’t read others. An attitude or facial expression can be read as easily as the cover of a book, it’s not until you get inside that you know what you’re dealing with. I’m not sure I’m dark. Just not as easy to read as pictures.

Nothing in those pictures of me as a child look like the world I’ve always known. Terra was once a beautiful planet, but it’s as gone as that kid I can’t imagine I was. It’s like looking at a twin you never met and wondering how different their life was compared to yours because they knew a world you’ll never experience. Or finding a single puzzle piece someone dropped, opposed to losing a single piece where the image is clear enough someone can imagine it being finished.

If I start thinking about then like a random puzzle piece I found, I always come to the same conclusion any normal person would about what to do with it. You could stick it in a drawer, but the chances of ever finding where it belongs or knowing what that picture looks like are incredibly obscure. It has no use. P.T.S.D., blocked memories, traumatic events that changed everything. I think if you’ve forgotten something like that, you’re better off not remembering and shouldn’t dwell in the past regardless of all the psychobabble they tell you. Whatever my head decided I didn't need to remember must be bad enough it knows what it's doing. My brain is smarter than what I can think of and I’m not going to dig up a life I know won’t do me any good now. The world can’t go back to what it was any more than I can.

I’m currently waiting to meet the most despicable person I’ve ever known for the final orders on an assignment I don’t want. Not that I feel much on him or anything else, what I do feel seems muted somehow. Annoyance and irritation are my default settings. I’m rambling to myself again. Unavoidable habit of the void in my head, I think. I have the capabilities to make judgements based on what’s considered socially acceptable by statistics, and the morals of the person who took me in after the world started dying. But it’s not saying much. It’s not that I don’t have a personality, because I know I’m a smartass people consider edgy and can often annoy others or get an occasional laugh. I don’t feel much else and prefer being the background of a scene people usually forget. I fight what others think is the good fight. But in truth I get in more trouble trying to uphold someone else’s views than I would if I didn’t have any. I’m not sure why I do that. It’s proven to leave me at the bottom of the barrel and goes against the way things have started to unravel.

Maybe it’s some symptomatic desire to please my benefactor. General Skelar. One of the largest wolves in the area. For some reason he thought it best I stay with him. The childhood I do remember holds a lot more details I wish I could forget as easily as what I blocked out. I doubt I’d have joined the military if not for past events and how they came to order. Skelar’s not a bad guy, but thinking about all this is right up there with asking yourself how different things could have been or that puzzle piece. A useless question or idea no one should ask themselves because nine times out of ten, you’ll never know. Skelar sure my family home stayed with me, but was never a family guy. I could have him step in and correct all the B.S. I’ve gone through trying to uphold his decent morals, but I know better. Having someone step in every time you get into trouble only makes more of it. If people see someone else fighting for you in a world full of animals, you’ll become the prey. Top pf the food chain or dominant species means nothing if your seen as weak. Even if I am a wolf.

My actions are more habit than choice. I’ve always felt like a paper bag in a wind room where multiple fans determine the direction. That intensified after joining the military, so I’m going to control what little I have the sense to manage. I have no fans. More like leaders, captains, and trainers in a pecking order that’s falling apart. At present the one blowing hot air is my commanding Officer Minister Maltese. I don’t know why he insists on people calling him Minister, but if I had to guess it’s because he thinks he’s the right hand of God. Insisting on being referred to by the self-bestowed title is just fuel serving his sense of self-worth and importance. I’ve met a others like him in the military who insist on being called Sergeant or Kernel by family and friends. I think it’s about as tasteless as anyone can get; insisting civilians refer to them as if they’re more important than those they serve. It proves they need others acknowledgment, validation, and recognition; more than having pride in their own accomplishments. The more vehement their insistence- the more of a tool they are. According to Skelar, “Serving should be seen as just as much an honor as being served.” Of all the colorful language I could use to describe the hyena properly named and titled as Master Sergeant Maltese, Plug is the one that sits best. Rolls off the tongue like the stench of his personality.

I’m not so much incensed about Maltese as I am annoyed with the assignment. There’s no saving this. The system itself isn’t the problem. It’s the whole world. I can’t look out the window and not see it. Smoke's still burning from massive sinkholes that sent fireballs flying at the heavens. Evenyo, our moon; was broken and sent tidal waves over land that killed millions. Wolves are the dominant species on Terra, and losing the moon was in some ways more destabilizing than the physical loss as most wolves thought it was a deity itself. Some scientists thought it would take centuries for what’s happened to happen, but it took less than a couple of decades. Without the push and pull from the moon, water doesn’t move in tides anymore and keeps becoming more stagnant and contaminated. I suppose it’s a testament to how careless we’ve been. Everything started dying. Filtration for cleaning water is failing, crops fail with it. Land can’t sustain growth. Constantly grey skies threaten harm with random downfalls of acid rain that sears fur. The collapse of the ecosystem directly affected the fall of society and civilization as it we knew it.
Predators are starting to hunt again because it’s easier to obtain protein from weakened prey than purchasing the supplements we’d accepted lifetimes ago. I’m glad I don’t remember what it was like before, but I can’t say seeing the changes from what I do remember isn’t stark enough. As much as I b***h about certain things; I’ve accepted and am content with the world and where I'm in it.

I’m an idol person by default. I have no desire to climb ladders or be in the public eye. It sucked. For a few years after I was ‘rescued’ I had one of the largest cities following my progress. It was a nightmare because of the constant expectation to follow a certain path, disappointing people who thought you should be doing things their way, or progressing at a certain rate. Oddly enough that wasn’t what bothered me the most. Then you had the other type that saw you as a symbol of hope. Insistent on knowing every detail, getting angry when you weren’t interested in sharing, or thinking they were entitled to know everything because they knew just enough. Love and adoration, gifts you never wanted and felt obligated to appreciate, a constant surf of people dreaming for you. I could go on but damn -that was my limit.

Survival in a life-threatening situation wasn’t an accomplishment that day. It was blind luck. People think they know you because they know a small part of something that happened in your life, but they don’t. They couldn’t know me, I didn’t know me. I couldn’t even remember my name. When you’re a blank book absorbing everything because you’re trying to make sense of the world and find yourself, that kind of attention can be just as suffocating as survival itself. The military was an escape and a sense of direction Skelar encouraged. “Builds character and leads the way.”
When I found the option to be sent to a military school on the other side of the country, I almost jumped. I think he saw my uncharacteristic enthusiasm as a of sign of genuine interest. I took my middle name as my first and never spoke of the events again. The blissful silence of being unknown is still indescribable. I’d gladly hand this position to someone more worthy and still haven’t figured out why I was chosen for this detail. I’m not looking forward to having eyes on me all the time when it blows up one way or the other, and it’s bound to. It’s not initiative. It’s just the next task. Following orders. Orders I'm not exactly sure of and already take issue with. My annoyance today has peaked levels I’ve not reached in years. Maltese doesn’t seem to understand what’s happening right now isn’t something I’m interested in.

Possibly because the rat b*****d I’m waiting on is responsible for my current standing. I may as well be the residue someone’s trying to scrape off the inside of the barrel I know I’m at the bottom of. The wonderful values I tried to uphold in a devolving system and Maltese’s thoughts on me being assigned to this are probably only equal to our matched chagrin over the situation. My views are of little concern as I keep personal opinions to myself unless I’m asked directly. His; Not so much. He loves barking his thoughts like a worn-out thesaurus. Most of the time it’s similar to the background music in a Wall- to- wall store. I know it’s there but don’t pay much attention. Unlike the desk I’m currently looking over that can’t be ignored. It’s something I can say I truly hate as it represents the death of possibility. A coffin I was stuck in trying to do what was once considered the right thing, and probably the reason I got picked for the s**t assignment I’m about to be thrust into. I have no desire for things to go back to something I can’t even remember. I don’t have much desire for anything at all, or even change. But the desk was proof things would get worse.
If I was the type of guy to point fingers, I’d point at him. But my own actions are equally to blame. No good deed goes unpunished. My good deeds are the most likely culprit of being chosen. I’m expendable, my records indicate I’m difficult to work with, and I’m considered insubordinate. Those records are a direct result of Maltese’s actions, or failure to act. I didn’t like seeing fellow officers abuse their positions and get ahead with bribery or criminal gain. That’s not how the military is supposed to function. That’s not how anything should function. I’m not talking about the fairness of things because that can be marginalized. I think it’s an ethical thing.

I have a moral compass that only points one direction. I suppose in a way it’s the only foundation I’ve ever had. Again; Courtesy of General Skelar. I wonder if he had something to do with this or if my past might have come into play. Not many people around here don’t know my name, civilians don’t ask too often anymore because I grew up. When they do recognize me, I can honestly say giving them a look like I have no idea what they’re talking about usually causes a rush of embarrassment along with their feet. As if asking is anything appropriate to begin with. I’m sure it’s somewhere in my military records, but it’s never been brought up. It wouldn’t change things if I knew. Blaming anyone or a certain string of events isn’t going to make a difference. That’s what’s so annoying. It’ll be easy to show blame or fault on my part when this doesn’t work, and a public uprising if it does. I'm not the right guy to help save the world. And I don’t think any action can come anywhere close to changing what I already believe.

Because if nothing else the only other thing I do believe in is the natural order of things. It may be something I never successfully fit into because of my own personal circumstances, but I don’t think you should always try to save something that’s dying. No one should when it’s obvious that drawing it out will only cause more suffering. It’s a natural course of events for everything, even a planet. Hope is a disease I’ve become immune to. I can already see its death is both imminent and will become eminent. I’m the last person they should be asking to herald the promised saviors. I shouldn’t be hosting them, introducing them, teaching them, or better yet; They probably shouldn’t be exposed to me at all.

I can play the part, act accordingly, fit into most social settings given an ample amount of time to adjust or study appropriate reactions and expectations. But I’m not terribly patient. I know my faults. I’m not personable and my limits can be exceeded when I’m exposed to something I consider futile for numerous reasons over long periods of time. I don’t trust anyone. I have no want to be trusted, or make friends. I’m no longer an open book and have no desire to share or connect with others. And I’m painfully aware that the longer I’m exposed to something outside my comfort zone- the more likely it is all anyone around is going to see me as is a condescending smartass. They’ll miss anything deeper, if there is anything deeper. This time the spotlight is likely to illuminate why I never should have been in one to begin with.

Sometimes I wish I could feel things more deeply and understand things I don’t, but that would also mean I’d lose seeing the truth and be blinded by unfounded optimism. Dreaming is as ill-advised as hesitation. Dreaming and hesitation are more similar than people realize. Dreams take you away from the moment. There’s no place for dreaming or hesitation in the military. Not when thinking, not when speaking with other officers (particularly superiors), not when jumping into action. Dreaming and hesitation can get you killed in more ways than one. Career, personal, life. Add in that this is a world full of animals who are starting to act like...well, animals; Consider dreaming or hesitation when a simple glance is a threat, or a signal to others hunting you that the coast is clear to attack. I don't dream, I don't hesitate. I don’t know many people who do for that simple obvious reason.

It’s like this desk I’m stuck at and Maltese taking his sweet a*s time getting here, keeping me wondering in my own thoughts; Irritating and pointless. Almost an hour late. Like my time isn’t as important as his. Speaking from personal experience, I know he’s probably running his mouth somewhere and making me wait just because he can. I’ll admit I can be absent minded and forget to contact people. Probably part of the reason I don’t try to make personal connections. It’s better to be absent than to be seen as uncaring when it's just that I’m forgetful or I’m not wired for the social setting I’m asked to portray. It’s hard to be considerate of other’s feelings when you have a lack of them yourself or know you’re considered...uncomfortable to be around. Isolation fuels forgetfulness, and awareness of social protocols in general. But if I ever hoped to get into a better professional position or found myself in one, I’d never think myself so important or be so rude as making someone-

“CANKER!”

I had to bite my tongue when I jumped and whirled around to stand at attention because of that cocky smile he was wearing. Annoying b*****d. I should avoid thinking so much. It’s a dangerous pastime. Always a good way to get yourself in trouble. Add paying attention to not dreaming or hesitating. Thoughtless isn’t the same, but could be seen as such. Finding some kind of balance might be paramount there.

“Sir?” I asked as I stood and tipped my ears back. He’s a wretched example of the hyena species. Pacing back and forth and halting across the room to grin at me. That jagged toothy smile as he stepped closer and looked me up and down makes me want to gag at their deceptive appearance. There was nothing friendly about them or him.

“At least I won’t have a sore hanging around anymore.”

I’d heard that ‘joke’ about my name so many times it never had an effect.

“Keep that stoic face mutt. They haven’t broken you yet. I can still see it, right behind your eyes. No matter how calm you appear, how you keep your head down, how well you follow orders. Hasn’t done much to help you so far. You’d love to use those teeth right now, wouldn’t you? Does it piss you off when I call you mutt? Or are you too stupid to understand it?”

I sighed heavily, fighting not to roll my eyes. “I know what a mutt is, Sir. It doesn’t bother me to be called one. I’m a wolf.”

-He narrowed his eyes when I fought a faint grin. “You won’t be so calm once you see what’s about to happen. You think I’ve had you on a short leash, wait until they get done with you. I want to know what you’re thinking.”

Hmm, he knows more than he’s let on. I lifted my head and cocked it to the side, and the hyena took it for what it meant as I openly smiled. What was I thinking? I was wondering how things were at home when I knew his pack was run by his mate and the only reason he was allowed this position, was because of her. “At your command, Sir.” I wasn’t about to say anything else. I’d seen her put him in his place and it was far from pretty. He always came back limping and injured the next day, and looking for blood to replace what he’d lost. A slight flick of my eyes to his tattered healing ear and I stood straighter when he stepped closer, growling in my face.

“For a wolf, you should know your place in the pack.”

I guess the pack he’s referring to is the military itself. They’re coming back out there. Nothing I see as a good thing. There are so many breeds of canines now I can’t imagine who will fit where with so many preconceived notions of how things used to work. From what I gathered a pack was nothing more than a family. Packs were just parents who kept their pups in line. When one grew, they left to start another pack. There was no Alpha or Beta. I think military was the only place the Alpha and beta made any sense.

“Getting lost in your head again, Canker?”

On any other occasion, I would have cast my eyes aside and retook my seat. But today I had the upper paw and looked him in the eyes. “At the bottom, Sir. Picking up scraps.”

Another growl and he backed away laughing. “I forget how smart you think you are at times. I may not be able to do anything to you because of the position you’ve been placed in with this Subter. But it won’t be long.” He stepped closer and his face dropped to a dangerous snarl. “But when this is over, and it will be soon. I’ll have the pack make sure you know. You’re not the first who’s stepped out of line and been invited to dinner.”

I blinked a few times as his crooked smile crawled up his cheek, but made no comment about the disappearance of another private I knew was on the wrong side of his duties. My previous thoughts about him not knowing how things had happened because he might just be a cog in the machine were disillusioned fantasies. Another crooked smile. He pointed it out just to let me know I was the reason he was gone. He was one of a few I reported. But if he thought I’d hold myself responsible; He was wrong. I dropped my eyes. I’m not stupid. He knows where I live and isn’t a single entity I’d have to face if he came knocking. He’d bring ‘friends', or one of the new packs working outside the military.

His ears perked as the door knob turned and he took a step back as a warthog entered the room. I sighed as she motioned to the chair. “Mr. Canker, I presume.” I gave a nod as she tossed a brief case on the desk. One look around and she clicked her tongue, shaking her head in disappointment. “What kind of office is this? I know I’ve asked before, but it’s the first time I’ve been in here and it looks more like a storage closet.” Maltese cleared his throat and she looked at me sneering. “Why is he wearing a rookie uniform, or a uniform at all when he’s not an active officer here, Minister Maltese?”

The hyena straightened his neck as much as possible and dipped his head. “I believed it was the best way for him to meet our guest.”
She’s perceptive for someone not in the military and not a canine. This behavior was nothing I wasn’t used to from Maltese. I’d seen him rub shoulders and bare teeth at those higher ranked an they’d backed down trying to avoid a confrontation. But I was intrigued by her ability to recognize his way of putting me in my place and seamlessly doing it to him herself.

Dressed in a brightly colored red business suit, she was a representative speaker from another branch that worked with the military and not for or within it. Bright blue eyes and tusks that were as carefully manicured as her shiny fur and the flowing locks of hair spiked around her head made it obvious she was meant to be seen by others and caused me to bite my lip as Maltese dipped his head in a submissive manor I rarely saw him exhibit with anyone other than his mate. The warthog rushed a paw over her furry head and licked the top of her lips in thought. She cracked each finger with a thumb and pointed to a corner of the room. Minister Maltese’s face fell seeing the blinking red light before he turned back to find her tusks pointed at him. “It was added a few months ago to make sure our candidate was the right choice. In order to be completely understanding of situations Mr. Canker is facing; We needed to know what he deals with on a daily basis to gauge his reactions. You were informed he was no longer an active officer under your jurisdiction at the same time they were installed, but he was to be unaware of that and stay here for security purposes.

Were you not?”

“Yes, Ma’am.” He almost spat as she looked back and found me shaking my head.

No one ever said anything to me.

The red lipstick she wore was as bright as the distaste she was displaying. “We will not be meeting our guest here. That has been arranged in a much more neutral setting. It has been made clear this is not the proper environment for such an event, considering how hostile the military can appear to outsiders. Mr. Canker, were you made aware of the stipulations? Have you been briefed?”

“No Mam.”

"That should have been done when you were informed of the detail."

Another scathing look from her and Maltese moved his eyes away from her steely glare. Curious, but I couldn’t look away from the interaction between the two. It was almost as if her disapproval bothered him. Something I don’t understand when his mate is far more intimidating.
When the door opened again, Minister Maltese backed away as a large female hyena bared her teeth. All the fur on her neck stood on end, just before she grabbed the back of his neck between her teeth and thrashed him like a rag doll, tossing him out of the room to the hallway. Amazingly frightening how precise the movements were because not a single paper was wafted out of place. Pack mentality had started back up in society and was becoming normal again, but hyenas never left the mindset and were particularly brutal in the area. Females were larger than males and had always run things. I turned my head as the screaming turned to sharp yelps. The door closed and the warthog sighed. “Mr. Canker, please take a seat.”

“That camera has been in here for a few months?”

“…….Yeees.” She answered giving me a suspicious look.

“Does it….have audio?”

Another suspicious look as she narrowed her eyes. “I don’t believe it does but I’d have to check. We were more concerned with body language and behaviors. Why?”

“Ugh….I was just, curious.” I’m not sure if I should be relieved or terrified, because nothing about this can end well. The questioning look she was giving me indicated I was on her radar for suspicious behavior and I knew this made me look bad, but I wasn’t about to explain it unless she asked. Being invited to dinner by Maltese wasn’t something I wanted on record. I much prefer to keep that sentiment out sight because it could bite me in the a*s later. Literally. I’d have to make something up about its meaning. Then I’d feel guilty for having to lie or refusing to answer, which would make me look more guilty. All the implications in the how and why of not answering a single question…………..I’m. Not. Good. With. People. I had to think of something. "Why were you more interested in body language and behaviors?"

She looked at the cameras and took a seat. "There's a communications barrier between their species and all of ours. We originally thought body language or sign would be best, but have found an alternative."

"What kind of communication barrier?"

“I'll explain everything if you take a seat, Mr. Canker.”

I let off a relieved sigh and gave her a nod. I guess this show is officially on the road…I have a sinking feeling in my bones about all of this being s**t, but I'm finally getting my new orders.




 





© 2023 Brokenarrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, you are SO going to hate me, after working so hard, and making such a deep emotional commitment to your story and the characters in it. But you did ask, and we’ll never address the problem we don’t see as being one, so, I thought you would want to know. Just be aware that nothing I’m about to say relates to talent, or how well you write.

It begins with what I call The Great Misunderstanding: For more than a decade in school, for the most part, When writing was necessary, you were assigned reports and essays. So many, in fact, that most people leave their school years believing that they have mastered the mechanics of writing whatever needs to be written. And since writing-is-writing, when we turn to fiction...

But does it all use the skills we were given? The goal of reports and essays is to inform the reader, dispassionately and concisely. Why dispassionately? Because only the author knows the emotion they want placed into the reading. The reader has punctuation and what the wording suggests, based on their life-experience.

But...why do we read fiction? Ask 10 people and they’ll say, “For the story.” But in reality, we read for the adventure. We expect to be made to feel as if we’re living the story, as the protagonist, and, in real time. And to do that takes a very different approach—one that’s emotion-based and character-centric. And that’s a methodology not even mentioned as existing in our school days. Why? Because their goal was to ready us for employment. Commercial Fiction Writing is a profession, one they offer degree programs in. And you must assume that at least some of what’s taught is necessary. Right?

To better understand, look at your opening, not as the all-knowing author, but as a reader, who has only the context you supply.

• The world is starving.

It is? I’m part of the world, and I’m not starving. Certainly, you had intent for how the line was to be taken. But intent doesn’t make it to the page.

• Not in simple terms of shortages of food either.

So AFTER the reader takes the meaning of the word starving to mean what the dictionary lists, you begin to redefine it? Why not say what you mean, first. Then no revisions are necessary.

• Social construct has begun to dissipate.

What’s a social construct? A search yielded: The meaning, notion, or connotation placed on an object or event by a society, and adopted by that society with respect to how they view or deal with the object or event.

So, which social construct is dissipating, and in what way? Unless the reader knows that... Unfortunately, at this point, the reader doesn’t know even what planet we’re on. So without context to make it meaningful, the reader has only words in a row, meaning uncertain.
- - - - - - -
See how different what the reader gets is from what you intended?

Because of your fact-oriented, history-book approach, the actual story doesn’t begin for 7 paragraphs, a whopping 1556 words—which translates to the first 6 standard manuscript pages. In it, you, alone on the stage, provide information you-have-not-made-the-reader-want. And, all of it is irrelevant to the opening scene. So during the first 6 minutes nothing happens in the story.

Added to that, because you DID have context as you wrote, you left out things that you see as obvious, and never notice the problem as you read, because as the author, our own writing ALWAYS works for us.

So: dump that section. You may need to know it to keep the story on track. But always remember: it’s not your story. It belongs to your protagonist. And as the narrator, your job is to support that character. As Sol Stein put it: “In sum, if you want to improve your chances of publication, keep your story visible on stage and yourself mum.”

So, begin your story with story, not history. And get yourself into the prompter's booth, because every time you, the narrator, talk to the reader you stop the scene clock, and kill any momentum the scene may have built.

And if that’s not bad enough news, once the actual story begins—and though you write very well—you take advantage of NONE of the strengths of our medium. In dialog. your characters never hesitate, don’t rephrase or reflect. They use only 2 of the 5 senses. They never think things over, they instantly react to any dialog aimed at them, lobbing their lines back and forth like a softball. They don't change expression, or emotion, or perform secondary tasks as they speak. But don't you?

And...the biggest strength of our medium is the ability to take the reader where other mediums can’t go, into the mind of the protagonist. But you don’t. Not because of a failure on your part, but because no one ever dold you you should, or even that it's necessary.

Bad news, I know, but here’s the deal: In our school days we’re being readied for employment, and so, are given skills employers find useful. In writing that means reports, papers, and letters, all nonfiction, and all with the goal of informing the reader. But our goal? As E. L. Doctorow put it: “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader. Not the fact that it’s raining, but the feeling of being rained upon.”

Commercial Fiction Writing is a profession, one they offer degree programs in. And like all professions, we have to assume that at least some of what’s taught there is necessary. Right?

Though we leave our school years believing that writing is writing, in reality, we’re as ready to write fiction when we leave school as to write a screenplay with no further education, or, to perform an appendectomy.

The solution is obvious: dig into the skills the pros take for granted. There are lots of traps that we almost everyone falls into. That’s why I wrote the articles in my on Wordpress (address at the bottom) and created my video series on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@jaygreenstein3334

The goal was to give an overview of the major differences and issues that divide fiction and nonfiction.

For a really good intro to the actual skills of fiction writing, I’d suggest starting with Dwight Swain’s, Techniques of the Selling Writer, which recently came out of copyright protection. It's the best I've found to date at imparting and clarifying the "nuts-and-bolts" issues of creating a scene that will sing to the reader. The address of an archive site where you can read or download it free is just below. Copy/paste the address into the URL window of any Internet page and hit Return to get there.

https://archive.org/details/TechniquesOfTheSellingWriterCUsersvenkatmGoogleDrive4FilmMakingBsc_ChennaiFilmSchoolPractice_Others
- - - - - - -
So. I know this wasn’t what you were hoping to hear, given the workload I’ve just given you, and the story you worked so hard on. But once you do master those skills you’ll find that the act of writing becomes a LOT more fun, as the protagonist becomes your co-writer, whispering suggestions and warnings in your ear as you live the scene you’re writing.

So give it a try. Like the proverbial chicken soup for a cold, it might not help. But it sure can’t hurt.

Hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/


Posted 1 Year Ago


JayG

12 Months Ago

• I don’t need to boast of my accomplishments to bolster my ego.

Why would you as.. read more
Brokenarrow

12 Months Ago

My reaction was to do some research on your comments and rewrite it after reviewing my other works, .. read more
Brokenarrow

12 Months Ago

P.S. Thanks for reminding me why I started writing. Its not an excuse, I had no desire to be famous .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Added on May 8, 2023
Last Updated on May 16, 2023


Author

Brokenarrow
Brokenarrow

independence, MO



About
Trying to change my writing style and looking for reviews and suggestions. I have been writing for years but hesitate to share. I love furries and most of my characters are animals or alien species. I.. more..

Writing