Background Noise Chapter 8

Background Noise Chapter 8

A Chapter by Brokenarrow

Bardist sat on the end of the couch, tipping his ears back and forth at the odd whistling they could hear coming from upstairs. He looked around and stopped on Wazer when the kangaroo threw his paws out. “I checked, they’re still out. He didn’t even notice the change?”

Bardist chuckled. “He noticed. He doesn’t care. It’s not worth mentioning. Not to him.”

Bo and Kartin glanced at each other shaking their heads. “Has he found the layout?” Kartin asked.

Wazer huffed. “Every inch of it. Even the exit under the damn pool. I figured he’d avoid it considering what he’s always thought about high society and water usage. His scent was everywhere.”

“He hasn’t changed at all has he? He still doesn’t trust anyone?” The capibara asked.

Bardist brushed a paw over his ears. “Poses some significant problems. The detail hasn’t changed.”

Bo glared at the Doberman. “He knows, Bardist.”

The black and brown canine smirked. “I didn’t expect anything less. No one knows why he’s like that.”

Wazer grunted. “I do. I read his history report.”

Kartin perked his ears. “You read his personal files? About before his enlistment? They let you?”

They all glanced at the kangaroo as he shook his head. “I didn’t have much of a choice after the detail assignment. They think I’m the one he’s going to make a connection with.”

Bardist scoffed. “It’ll be Kartin.”

The half mastiff, great Dane curled is lip. “No.”

Bardist looked at Wazer and the kangaroo smirked as he folded his arms over his chest. “You already knew, didn’t you?”

“Sergeant Skelar asked me to keep an eye on him.”

They all sat up and looked at him with wide eyes. Wazer swallowed. “He was damn near ground zero at location 47. Is he the one that found him?” “No. He just took pity on me." They all turned and cringed as I stepped out of the shadows with Al clinging to my fingers. He got up at the crack of dawn, something only five hours of sleep could explain why I was with him. The furless little runt had kept me on my toes as far as a schedule beyond the recent sleeping and eating habits during the day. He'd insisted on keeping the workout routine on and that included just after breakfast. "I didn’t need his help or anyone watching over me when I enlisted. The same as I told you, Bardist. At least his intentions were well placed. Unlike yours.” They all pinned their ears back as I stepped into the entry way to the kitchen from the stairs. “Don’t let me stop your conversation. I’m dying to hear what I don’t already know.” I couldn't stay silent any longer with Al keeping up his whistling lulls to play the ruse without it seeming like I was doing the exact thing I'd told him not to. But I also wanted him to understand something about people. They aren't like books.

“We don’t have to do this, Canker.”

“I think we do, Bardist. I think Al needs to understand how rude it is to talk about people when they aren’t there to explain things themselves. Especially when they’ve already been asked not to.” I lowered my head threateningly in a menacing growl and everyone tensed as the Doberman narrowed his eyes.

“Eric, you are displaying aggression.”

“Stay out of this, Al. Listen, and learn."

I didn’t move my eyes from Bardist as the Lofur beside me tugged my fingers. “You stated aggression was the ill repute of anger and led to thoughtless action. Do you intend on becoming thoughtless?”

Bardist stood fighting his ears pinning back, but didn’t restrain the smile. “Ill repute of thoughtlessness? Who’s teaching who here, Canker?”

“I have no intentions of becoming thoughtless. There are those who can’t think beyond their words or actions and understand nothing but stupidity.”

I squeazed his fingers and dropped my tail. Al tilted his head watching the Doberman sneer. Kartin, Bo, and Wazer lifted their brows as the General held a paw up to keep their positions. “If it really doesn’t bother you, then why not put it out in the open?”

“You want it in the open, Bardist. I could care less either way. It’s not going to change anything for me. For you, it’s a reason to pull another rug. Undermine me in the position I have. Make me look weak. But I don’t hear you explaining that bit.”

“What, that you feel nothing, care for nothing, that I know why? Everything you do is an act. How is that going to get me any closer to a goal I have?” Bardist growled as he stepped closer.

I almost smiled and gave a fast glance at the other guys, quickly focusing back on Bardist. “Since we’re putting everything out in the open, I’ll tell them.” Bardist looked at me cautiously as he perked his ears. “I was on the edge of location 47 when the sinkhole opened. Not to get all mushy and into the dirt of it all, but I watched my father fall in and the rest of my family was crushed under the collapse.”

“That’s not the half of it.” Bardist looked at Wazer and the kangaroo lifted a brow.

I agreed. “No. That’s the short version I tell if it happens to come up. You won’t read the rest in the reports. But I’m sure Skelar has already told you. I’ll have to talk to him about that. My mother grabbed me and my litter mates trying to shield us with her body when the rest of the building that caved with my father fell on us. I was the runt, the smallest. I laid with them for days under the rubble. Listening to people trying to dig anyone out. But by the time they found me, I wasn’t screaming anymore. I was encased in the rotting corpse my mother had become, surrounded by my dead siblings in her arms. Freak thing. I survived because I was so small. They took all the precautions they thought of, covered my face, my eyes, as much as they could reach. It didn’t matter. It’s the reason I won’t eat meat of any kind. Even if I couldn't taste it, it’s all I could think of. The blood. The screaming. The last breath you hear someone take. The smell. By the time they were done I was covered in the stench I’d already been laying in and then sprayed with the fluids gushing from the death tomb she saved me with. They had to cut them apart to get me out. I didn’t speak for months, and I lost my sense of smell.”

“It’s not all you lost.”

“Well go on and tell them Bardist, since you seem to know better than I do.”

“Let him speak for himself.” Bo gave Bardist a dirty look and the Doberman chewed his lip angrily.

“My mind? Part of it. I don’t remember anything before that day. The first thing I can remember was them screaming my name. Everything went still and it didn’t matter anymore. The panic went away. Fear went away, defeat, sadness. Unfortunately, so did the joy, surprise, hope. I found clarity. I didn’t think I’d ever smell something that bad again. Or anything else.” I looked down at Al and the Lofur was still watching Bardist pin his ears back. “I used to plant grass just thinking someday that smell would return. Until recently it never did. I have no fear of anything in life, or death. It was dumb luck. Why tell people something they’ll never understand and likely judge you for? Either seeing you in pity or as an inspiration by having strength others don’t think they possess, when neither is true? Anything else you think they should know about me, Bardist?”

Wazer cupped a paw over his muzzle as Bo and Kartin turned their heads.

I shrugged. “That’s the reaction every time. Don’t look away like you haven’t known me for the last eight years. Just because I’m numb to the world doesn’t mean I don’t have a moral compass. A good one. Now that I’ve sufficiently explained that; Explain why you got transferred and how you made General so fast. Since we’re all sharing.” Bardist snarled as I kept my eyes narrowed on him, watching my side vision as the others tilted and shifted behind him.

“I’d bite my tongue if I were you, Canker. Unless you want more trouble than you can paw out. Who the hell do you think you are?”

I had to chuckle as Bo, Wazer, and Kartin perked their ears. “In a hundred years no one will remember my name unless it’s written in some obscure journal, in a thousand even that will be gone. I’m the guy on the couch, the girl walking down the street a few miles away. I'm you.”

“I’m not nobody, Canker.” He growled as his teeth flashed. “You all think we’re just mutts.”

Kartin bit his lip but I could see him scowling behind Wazer. “I didn't say nobody. I think none of it matters and we’re just alive.”

“Nothing matters to you. I will make things change.”

“How are you going about that, Bardist? Think about it, guys. Has anyone ever made general without being in the service for at least twelve years? Ever heard of it happening in less than five? What would you have to do to get so far, so fast? Let’s test a theory. See, I didn’t do anything to get where I am right now. I have no more idea than you or anyone else why the Lofurs wanted me on point here. I’m a social pariah, not going anywhere in my career, and have no desire to move through the ranks when I’ve seen what they’ve devolved to. No one has asked why I never moved from my original rank or position. Not even the guys I went to boot camp with. Why didn’t you?” Bo Kartin, and Wazer gave Bardist a funny look as his lips started curling. “Tell them some nasty stories? Have any of you thought to ask why I was never moved or was it just…listen to what you heard first and don’t ask because it might be uncomfortable? First or worst theory. People believe the first things they hear, or they worst version that comes up. Social etiquette dictates its rude to bring it up, or acceptable to gossip about it behind someone’s back. How much do you want to bet he didn’t get asked for this detail, he volunteered. And then, because he’s a higher rank, requested all of you here. Bridgett’s good, but I’m not sure she could pull that many strings. I don’t think the people listening are interested in all the things he wants to know about Al or his people. The specs for his species, their numbers underground, what kind of defenses they have. They didn't seem concerned enough with that when they sent him here to stop it. No detail is to be revealed, but if I’m the active officer like Bardist says, why’s he still trying to lead? Wazer?”

Wazer flattened his brow. “You’re the acting officer, Canker. But more so the detail itself. We’re a protection order. Our orders were to evacuate you and your guest if another threat was made. To ensure our guest was made to feel safe. Bardist was meant to brief you when we arrived after the threat. One safe exit tunnel under the house. Weapons and cover to be provided by an escort.”

“Threat? I haven’t heard any of this. But I couldn’t believe him when he told me I was a five-star general and him thinking I’d accept that role without earning it. It sounded more like a bribe.”

The others curled their lips as Bardist growled. “I never told you that.”

“Al, your ears are always on. I know I told you not to listen, but you can still hear everything, right?”

“Correct. Eric, there are-

“Hang on a second, Al. Did you know his ears are so good he can locate wind currents? Even the buzz from a blocker that'll kill a signal, like the one he heard when we were talking yesterday?”

"What are you accusing me of? It’s not my fault you're too stupid to get moved and can't follow orders." I pinned my ears back and tensed as Bardist stepped to my chest, but never took my eyes off him or dropped the almost smile I was wearing when I moved Al behind me.

Al squeezed my fingers and I could feel his head turn to the door. “I had help getting me where I'm at, didn't I, Bardist? It's easy to control people when you've taken away every move they had. Thought you already knew I'm not so easily moved. We found all kinds of disturbing things in the basement yesterday. Hidden weapons, extra tunnels that lead out of the Primwood Arena without camera cover. Definitely not authorized. They’re fresh, and I remembered how to pick up a scent. In. Wet. Dirt. A scent I didn't recognize, until you arrived."

Bardist jumped as the door was kicked in. I shoved Al and rolled over with the Doberman snapping at my face. There was a furious racket of activity rushing around the ringing in my ears, but I wasn’t sure what caused it. Shots were fired, screaming came from multiple areas in the room, and then darkness as I was wrapped in something I couldn’t identify. Soon enough the constriction had my lungs burning and my fingers trying to claw at anything. There were muffled sounds coming from every direction. All I could feel under my pads was the velvet I’d had wrapped around my fingers for days. Al -

Wazer held his paws up as the hollowed end of a deadly tube pressed him to his knees. None of them had time to move before it was over. Bo had dived behind a couch and opened his paws when another rifle aimed at his head. Kartin sat on the couch with his fingers locked together as several paw guns stayed on him. He made no effort other than watching Bardist drop like the dead weight that crashed through the door.

“CLEAR!”

An officer in stars and stripes stepped by several soldiers and snarled at the Doberman looking up at him through a steel cage wrapped around his face. “What the hell is wrong with this one?”

The officer keeping watching over General Bardist was almost dancing from paw to paw at the froth coming from the Doberman’s mouth. “That thing did something to him, Sir.”

He glanced behind the larger officer and watched him turn. Several of the snipers that had been outside were gathered around in a large semicircle behind them. “Step aside.”

“General Skelar? I thought you retired.” Asked an overly eager lynx as she stepped away.

The larger wolf looked down at her flat faced and she cast her eyes away as he frowned. “Larynx, don’t speak to a general unless you’re spoken to.” He probably sounded too judgmental and he knew it. He had other things on his mind. Especially when a panicked warthog rushed in and nearly got herself shot. “AT EASE!” His booming voice was enough for everyone to take a breath as Bridgett caught hers. “Bridgett, you should know better.”

“General Skelar. Where’s Eric?”

The older wolf looked back frowning as the officers stepped aside. “You tell me. We had eyes on them and he's nowhere to be seen. The Lofur is gone too."

She walked closer shaking her head as she tapped her phone. There was what looked like a large boulder on the floor, but nothing else. “I don’t understand.”

“What the hell is that thing and where is my private? You said you had intel on his condition.” He asked watching her searching through her phone.
“It’s why I rushed over. I got a message saying he was injured. It came from the defense department and was forwarded directly to me. I didn’t think that was possible without it going through a chain of command and a lot of paperwork.”

“It’s not.” He held his paw out expectantly and tipped a brow as he read the message. “This is from the Lofurs?” She nodded and he frowned. “There’s no forwarding address on this aside from the defense department. No name, no id tag, no nothing. What's the small print? I can't see s**t anymore."

Her ears pinned back as he dropped his head and looked down on her in more ways than their height difference. “General Skelar, please don’t do that to me. Don’t look at me like I’m doing something wrong. You can't have me court marshalled because I’m not under your command." He closed his eyes and sighed. “I got a message there would be a confrontation and asked another detail to be on alert with the snipers. A message I'm not sure how I received early last night. I'll submit, if you explain where he is and how that thing got in here.”

Bridgett looked at her phone as it pinged again. “T-that thing…is Ale.”

“It’s a rock.” He tapped it with a claw and shook his head, then looked at her sarcastically as she shrugged and turned her phone. The general took it and narrowed his eyes until it looked like his brow might fold over them. “Damn it.”

“They speak in technical terms. It’s always like this.” When he looked at her and raised a brow, she cleared her throat. “Everything I’ve been cleared to see, anyway.”

He sighed and pulled a pair of reading glasses from his pocket. “Damned if getting old is helpful. Not even experience makes up for the things you lose to age and wisdom.”

He flipped them onto his face and looked through the thicker half of the lenses. “The one known as Canker was fatally injured. Ale has taken the steps to rewind the Paira. The first phase is complete.”

General Skelar growled as he looked around. “Do they think this is a God damned game? How are they watching us? Rewind, phase? Where are they and how is he fatally injured? What the- He turned when the Doberman let out a ferocious cackle that raised everyone’s fur on end. He laid back with froth still coming from his mouth and kicked his feet a few times, trying to curl his toes under the couch. General Skelar looked at Kartin and frowned. “You, Kartin. Get up and move it.”

“Sir,” Kartin bowed and stood, grabbing the couch and shoving it out of the way like a paper weight. He looked back frowning at the short blade covered in blood. “A Barnet blade, Sir.” They were frowned on, and confiscated, but usually without a reprimand. The blade was short in appearance, but they were deceiving with the handle. Easily missed because of their size, hidden from metal detectors as they were made from wood or bone. And much more dangerous because the handle was larger and designed for whatever species was carrying it. They often hid more than half the blade. What appeared to be three inches could often double or triple depending on the paws brandishing it. Unlike a large knife, they were narrow and sharpened to the point the injuries went unnoticed if wielded by someone experienced.

Skelar looked back at Bardist and bent lower, loosening the strap around his face. “Hold your tongue forever or speak now.”

Bardist spat the froth out and growled. “For centuries wolves have run the world. Howling at a moon you thought was God itself. Belittling every canine species that branched from the truth of your bloodlines. We’re all mutts to your kind. The dog days have begun, and not even the inner ring will save you.” He spat again and looked behind the general grinning. “He was too busy keeping my teeth from his face after I cut that thing to notice the knife between his ribs. Even if he did, it would have felt like a pinch. Not a blade that severed the nerves and broke past his spine. That thing can’t save him. Nothing can. He was never worthy of Shugat.”

The general snarled and grabbed Bardist, throwing him into the front yard after he laughed again. “Get his a*s in lockup.” Everyone cringed at the thud and yelp when he landed outside, but no one moved except for Kartin. The general peered over his glasses and looked him over suspiciously. “Have you been cleared?”

“No, Sir.” Kartin spoke respectfully and tilted his head out the door. “But I’ll gladly go to the same cell if it means we’ll be alone for a few minutes.”
The general looked back as Wazer groaned and covered his eyes, peeking over the couch as Bo tried to cover his face with his shirt because his paws were too small to cup his muzzle. He looked back at the lynx and rubbed his nose. “I could take this a couple of different ways. What do you see it, Private Larynx?” The cat’s ears perked and brightened as he addressed her. He was trying to make up for seemingly putting her down a few minutes before and hoped she was old enough to read the situation correctly. “Come on.”

“Yes, Sir,” She chirped at being asked advise from such a high ranking senior and looked at them with the cat like curiosity many of her species had lost. “This one, Kartin. I see indignant. Very calm which makes him dangerous. His anger is pointed at General Bardist. Bo finds this funny. His laughter is inappropriate but something he can’t contain. Wazer is in disbelief, though I’m not sure why. It could be uncharacteristic behavior from his team mates or something we're unaware of.”

The wolf looked down at her and she stood at attention as he cocked a brow. “Squad leader Delta; Take your team downstairs and find all the recent tunnels and unauthorized weapons. Shoot to kill any unauthorized personal at your own discretion. Guard every entrance. I want two soldiers at the front and back door and a moment alone with the crew originally meant to herald this detail. Snipers back to posts. Bridgett, stay and see to it that officer Larynx is assigned to my personal detail. If an officer hasn't taken over outside, make sure a medic takes care of our...traitor. The rest of you move out.” The small feline let her jaw drop as the General turned to face Kartin. He looked back at her as the other soldiers went their ways. “Larynx, guard the rock. We can’t do anything about it, but whatever it is, I don’t want anyone near it or moving it until I figure it out. And don’t act so surprised when someone notices your natural skills.”

“Yes, Sir.” She chewed her lip trying to keep a flat face.

Bridgett had to cover her mouth trying to watch the girl hide her happiness. “That was mean.” She whispered as the old wolf tipped his eyes to the side and smacked his lips a few times.

“That’s not how she feels and if a soldier wears their heart on their sleeve like that it can get them killed. Or worse. You should take the same advice.” Bridgett looked at him and opened her mouth, about to speak when his curled lip forced her silence. “Eric?” Her face lit up and he glared while shaking his head. “I take it I don’t need to say anymore.”

“No Sir.” She cleared her throat as he tilted his head.

The warthog stepped away and General Skelar took a few steps, looking up at Kartin. “I don’t think I’ve ever met a canine as tall as you. I’m going to ask you two questions, and your answers will decide what happens to you and your team.” Kartin nodded silently as him and the General kept their eyes locked. “I have people looking through every connection all of you have ever had. Am I going to be disappointed when I get the results?”
This wasn’t just a question and Kartin knew it. It wasn’t as simple as it seemed. If he said no, he was showing he either didn’t know them well enough to answer or was lying. If he said yes, he was lying in the same bed with Bardist. He raised his head; lips almost twitching at the trick question. “Canker, Wazer, and Bo are my team. You will find nothing of reproach beyond their duties. I can’t say as to their physical excursions.” He hated listening to Wazer and Bo's stories of conquest with all the details they shared, and considered it reprehensible they tried to get him to do the same. General Skelar leaned around him and narrowed his eyes on the kangaroo and capibara. The larger canine shivered and closed his eyes in disgust as Bo and Wazer hid behind their paws. Neither was interested in being seen anymore.

The general smiled and chuckled as he scratched his nose. “Professionally, as soldiers only. You’re sure of that?”

“I am.” He answered as he looked down into the eyes of a mammal who could easily make him disappear.

“What would you have done if I’d sent you to the cell with Bardist, and why?” Kartin turned his eyes for the first time. It wasn’t shame that caused it, but he knew the difference between right and wrong. He saw no sense in suffering consequences for an action never taken. “Private Kartin.” Kartin looked back at the general and took a deep breath.

“That’s two questions, Sir.”

Wazer rubbed his face, shaking his head as Bo closed his eyes. “Were doomed.”

General Skelar squared his shoulders. “Then choose one to answer and it will be sufficient.”

Kartin didn’t hesitate. “We all come from the same bloodline. We’re the same species, regardless of our fur color and length, or our size. We’re all canine. Canker believes this doesn’t matter and never treated me any differently than others. None of us. That is why."

General Skelar looked back at Bo and Wazer, nodding as they stared at the back of Kartin’s head like it might explode. “Sufficient, and the right choice of question to answer. Private Kartin, have a seat with your team. Until I have your backgrounds cleared you will stay under surveillance. Then we’ll decide what to do with you.”

“Sir.” Kartin tipped his head and took a seat on the couch, completely rigid as Wazer and Bo leaned forward staring at him.

They turned back to the General as he bent to his knees, examining something on the floor. Bridgett stepped closer as he shook his head. “I didn’t even smell the blood. I don’t think anyone did. There isn’t much of it, but it’s still enough it should have been noticed. Even that damned traitor was injured. Did you pull up the recording for the last hour?”

“I should have it in a few minutes, they always panic after the Lofurs get into the system.” She tilted her head as he pulled a finger up examining some kind of black goo. “What is it?”

“Maybe something someone tracked inside. I’m not sure. The few blood droplets on the floor were stepped in when they came in. There should be more as deep as that knife cut. We might need C.S.I. or Jag to come in and investigate, but I hate to put that much of a delay on things. We need answers sooner than later.”

“The medics are looking Bardist over now. He was foaming at the mouth, but no one saw how he was injured?” Bridgett almost asked. “He said something about the Inner ring and Shugat. What are they?”

General Skelar looked back at the rock Private Larynx was standing watch over and back out the door curling his lip. “I don’t know.”

“General Skelar?” He looked up at the corporal in the door as he cupped his paws behind his back. “You’re going to want to see this, Sir. It's General Bardist.”

“I don’t want to see anything about that Mutt. Make a record that I used the word in regards to nothing but a traitor. What about him?”

“He’s dead, Sir. We found this under his right arm.” He held up a long sliver of material the general scowled at.

“Is that some kind of claw?”

“If it is, we can’t identify what mammal it came from. The length is right for a sloth, but it’s too small otherwise.”

“Carved like a Barnet?”

“No Sir. It’s too long and has a natural arch. No marks to indicate tools.”

General Skelar stood and looked around uncomfortably. “Corporal, get C.S.I. and Jag in here. Corner off the perimeter for half a mile. Bridgett, arrange transport. I want that thing scanned every which way possible.” He looked at the warthog and dipped his head. “Your report indicated you thought the Lofurs were harmless and had no weapons. This one’s supposed to be alone. It’s not, and never was.”

“Sir, I haven’t seen-

“We're not the only ones who've been watching. Just because you can’t see them, doesn’t mean they’re not around.” He dipped his ears back and forth and every soldier in ear shot stood alert as he plucked his radio from his hip.



© 2023 Brokenarrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on May 16, 2023
Last Updated on May 16, 2023


Author

Brokenarrow
Brokenarrow

independence, MO



About
Trying to change my writing style and looking for reviews and suggestions. I have been writing for years but hesitate to share. I love furries and most of my characters are animals or alien species. I.. more..

Writing