Chapter 3 - A New Task

Chapter 3 - A New Task

A Chapter by Brutis140
"

Damien is given a new task after realizing that saving the world is more important than a job.

"

    I felt a dead weight passed through my waist and my entire body went numb. I knew what was about to happen and I had no control over it. The words ‘Oh F**k’ barely escaped my mouth, as if I was unable to speak. I was laying in bed, the lights were dim, the smell of sex and sweat littered the air. Then I heard it, the moaning over and over again. Like something or someone was in incredible pain. And then I saw her, a small child standing at the foot of my bed, crying, cracking in and out like a television with terrible reception. She looked up at me, still crying, exposing brilliant red eyes. Her body began to change. It was a disgusting sight as I watched and heard every bone in her body crack and manipulate itself . She screamed, the shriek almost maddened me and my petrified body tremble, but I did not move. The small child was now almost fully changed into a creature I recognized, a Darkchild. I lay there in terror, still unable to move, my eyes darted around the room and I still muttered the words ‘Oh f**k’ over and over. The room was jet black now, I was alone surrounded by dozens Darkchild, only able to see their Blazing eyes and hear their moans. I was pulled from my bed and I tried to yell, but still I could not then I heard it
    “Damien, Are you ok?!” it was her, I awoke in a mass of sweat. Sarah was leaning over me, I spoke.
    “Yes, I’m fine, just another one of my dreams.” I though to myself. Was I crazy? People experience lucid dreams all the time, but not every night, right?
    “You really should go see a doctor about that.” Her voice was harsh, she sat there, her hair matted and her eyes tired, only a blanket covering her assets. I looked her up and down, admiring her beauty even in this state before I spoke.
    “It happens all the time, I did my research.” she was unsatisfied with my answer. I laid down, scanning the room with my eyes, remembering the nightmare that had just occurred. I closed my eyes once again and opened them only seconds later. I practically jumped from my bed, which made a loud creek, and ran across the room in an attempt to get dressed as fast as possible.
    “What’s wrong?” her voice made me stop dead in my tracks. I turned to see her again propped up on the side of the bed.
    “I have to go to work.” The thought danced around in my head over and over. I’m the savior of the world and I still have to go to work. Last night the insides of the most demonic creatures ever were shot across my body, and I have to go to work? It was only minutes before I was fully dressed. I grabbed my keys and wallet, and through on some of today’s popular body spray and ran out the door. Not two seconds later I stormed back in my apartment, making a big commotion, I ran over to the bed.
    “What is going.....” I cut her off as she spoke, my lips met hers and I let all negative emotion go, I pulled away barely breathing the words ‘I love you’ before I left once again.
    I sat alone in my cubicle, being paid for nothing, My day slowly draining me away to nothing. The false walls slowly closing in on me. I hear muffled voices of my co-workers giving advise to their clients, I have none. Sometimes I wonder, why did they higher me? Why do I still work in this god forsaken building? These questions only my boss can know the answer to. I hit my head, hard onto my desk in annoyance and looked up. My perspective had now changed, I was sitting at my desk alone in total darkness, the same black abyss I entered only a day ago.
    “Young man, why is it you sit here, wasting away when you world is on the brink of destruction?” I looked to see the man step from the darkness and take a seat opposite me. Still


wearing the cloak that conceals most of his body. His yellow eyes pierced my soul as I searched
for the confidence to speak in this confined space.
    “I have to work, I need money, I have bills to pay, and Sarah...” I was cut off, my words echoing into oblivion before the man spoke again.
    “Those things are a problem to you no more.” What did he mean by this, a ‘problem to me no more?’
    “Damien, you have been given a task far greater than the one you are completing here.” He stood and moved slowly behind me.
    “You are to defeat the Darkchild inhabiting your world, and then destroy their master.” I was confused. I stood and moved to sit on the edge of my desk.
    “Where do I even start? How do I find these creatures?” The question was simple yet I was sure I wouldn’t get a strait answer.
    “The Darkchild are mysterious creatures, and are directed about by their master, they will come to you, and you will destroy them. Never stay in one place for to long, they will not hesitate to kill all those around you. Your ‘money’ is no longer an issue, toss the worry from your mind immediately.” The man read my mind once again, I wasn’t sure how, but that wasn’t even my dominate thought.
    “Where do I go first?” I asked the man as I reached for a cigarette.
    “A terrible habit, we cant have the savior dying from one of these, now can we?” The man spoke almost teasingly to me as the cigarette incinerated. He turned to look at me, as if waiting for something. It came like a earthquake, my body heaved forward, I was thrown to my hands and knees, unable to stand. I began coughing wildly, tasting the bitter breath that escaped my throat. It came in spurts, first, blood, spewing from my mouth, onto what seemed to be a concrete floor. My body ached as I spewed tar from my mouth, the combination of blood sent my senses over the edge. The mixture poured from my nose and mouth like vomit from a rough night of drinking. The pain I felt was overwhelming as my arms gave out and my head hit solid ground.
I lay there, my skull feeling as if it had split in two, my body soaked from the mixture of lung tar and blood.
    “Now boy, your recovery will be instantaneous, when you leave here, go back to the building I sent you to the last time we spoke. It is there you will find the information that you seek.” The man’s words rang in my head as I climbed to my knees. I blinked and he was gone, it was all gone, The pain I had felt vanished and so had the terrible feeling I received every time I entered the darkness. I picked up my cell phone and searched through the directory. I found the number I was looking for and pressed the call button, it rang.
    “Hello.” the voice answered.
    “Hello, Sarah, its me, we need to talk, meet me at the coffee shop.”



© 2009 Brutis140


Author's Note

Brutis140
Any crits welcome, Does it lack emotion? Is it descriptive enough? Should I continue?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on March 2, 2009


Author

Brutis140
Brutis140

Stratford, Canada



About
Well, I'm not sure where to begin. I'm 27 years old and live in a small town, I work for a living and enjoy reading, writing, drawing, filming building costumes and props and animating. more..

Writing
Heroes Heroes

A Story by Brutis140


Dust Dust

A Book by Brutis140