Chapter two: An angel, a demon, and love

Chapter two: An angel, a demon, and love

A Chapter by Caitlynn Cusick

  Camilo woke with a start, a nightmare fading from his mind. There was a chill in the air, and at the edge of the small clearing where the family was asleep, he could hear the creatures of the night eager to get their hands on the members of the small group. He shivered, and willed the fire to grow warmer as he struggled to stay warm without his thick wool cloak. Looking around, he noticed he was not where he fell asleep last, but leaned against a wide tree a few feet away from where the family slept. He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard a small, feminine voice just beyond his line of sight. 
  “I’ve been awake for a while. You looked really uncomfortable where you slept, and the fire was threatening to burn you.... You sleep a lot like Luca does. I’ve been watching you since I moved you. Are you cold?” Her voice was quiet and soft, like a gentle song threatening to send him back to the peaceful sleep he wanted. Seeing how he shivered, she moved out of the oppressive shadows and into his line of sight, her wingtip brushing through the fire and lighting the fragile feathers aflame. She gasped as she felt the fire spread. She quickly beat out the flames as best she could, and sat beside him, wincing as the cold air hit her burned wing. 
  Camilo sighed and smiled, placing his hands on her wings, a soft glow flowing through them. “This should heal up all of your wounds. Thank you for pulling me from the fire. And yes. I am cold. But your babes need my cloak more,” he crooned softly as he worked. Her face was pained as he worked, a sad smile clouding her gentle features. Goosebumps covered her skin as he ran his fingertips along her wounds. she whined as she felt bones in her wings mend, and new feathers grow from the delicate skin. With a smile, he whispers a quiet blessing in a language she didn’t understand, sealing his work. She examines her newly healed wings, noticing black feathers in spots where there were none, and glancing along her arms and legs she noticed ultra-fine black runes, almost invisible, where there were once open wounds. She spreads her wings around him and pulls him close in thanks. 
  As a warm, inky sun rises over the horizon, casting a strange light over the landscape, the two sit quietly, nibbling on the now blackened, chewy meat from the fire. Hours pass in pleasant silence as the sun rises to a slow peak in the midday sky. With a clearer mind, Rosalyn takes in her surroundings for the first time. They were in a low valley, dark, ominous mountains rising to great peaks high in the reddish sky. Everything appeared to be burnt, despite the trees and grass growing and thriving in the odd lighting. She thinks of home and sighs. Her thoughts are interrupted by the cries of upset children and a frustrated, sleepy Alaric.
  Reluctantly she gets up from her peaceful repose. She picks up her twins from where they lay in Alaric’s arms, and he winks drowsily, eliciting a growl and a knock upside his head. He laughs and walks to where Camilo sits in quiet meditation.
  As she walks off to the shallow pond to feed and clean the grimy twins, she cant help but smile. She looks back at the boys to see Alaric grinning and teasing the newest member of the group. Camilo opens his eyes and catches her looking and blushes, eliciting a roar of laughter from her annoying brother. She rolls her eyes and laughs, turning back to the little pool and the children splashing in the shallows. Humming a little tune, she slips in besides them and sighs happily.
  Alaric was eating this up. This odd, secretive boy was in love with his little sister! He denied it of course, but it was obvious. At first, Camilo responded to his picking with annoyance, opting to just ignore him. Finally,  after a seemingly long time of bothering him, he speaks up.
  “You do know I’m one of the most powerful beings out there, right?” He opens one eye and scowls, doing well to hide a smile. 
  “Just admit it Cam,” Alaric says playfully,” you have the hots for my little sister!” 
  Camilo sighs, getting up from his meditative state and stretches. He puts out the fire and whistles, calling a strange bird over, claiming it was his personal messenger. After giving the bird orders and tying a parcel to its leg, he sends it on its way. Alaric looks on awkwardly before Camilo speaks again.
  “Your sister intrigues me. Your nephew does as well. I have been informed of your fall long before it happened. I cannot go into too much detail because even I don’t know it all. But yes. Your sister intrigues me.” His voice was cold and devoid of emotion. Alaric could tell the conversation was over. They sat in silence. After a while, they heard Rosie coming back, her happy little tune and the babbling of full, happy children giving her arrival away.
  Camilo could only stare. Her inky black hair fell freely around her, clean of the oil and dirt from the Fall. A smell of roses preceded her and the happy babes. She plops down beside the guys and chirps out happily.
  “Hey guys! When are we gonna get going? Whew! You guys need a bath!!” She wrinkles her nose for emphasis. 
  Camilo rushes off, a fire burning in his cheeks. Alaric is shocked. He hadn’t seen her this happy since before her parents fell. Finally he gets up and heads to the pond, leaving his sister and the children behind for a nap, knowing she needed it more than anyone.
  
  A blood curdling scream comes from the camp, alerting the two boys to the dangers at hand. Quickly getting dressed, they race back to find the girl fighting off a shadowy black creature that Camilo automatically identifies as a demon. The girl battles the monster, ducking and weaving and slashing at it with the knife she found last night. Camilo stood in awe as the graceful, petite angel fought the force threatening her children. He comes to his senses, stepping in after a moment of shocks, yelling at Alaric to take the children away.
  With only a few words spoken by Camilo, the demon is quickly dispatched and Rosie is left with fire in her eyes and rage in her belly. Camilo tries desperately to calm her down and pry the ichor-stained blade from her hands. She was shaking badly, and not responding to his pleas. It was obvious that she was in shock, and that her kids were as well. Camilo growled savagely and ordered Alaric to take the twins far far away, saying a spell to heal his wings completely. Getting the memo, Alaric take flight and carries the children out of sight.
  Turning his attention to the wild eyed girl, he snaps out an order. “Attack me. Let your anger flow freely. Show me what you can do, wild one.” He bears his chest to her blade. 
  Instinctively, she jumps into motion as though possessed by some feral warrior, moving gracefully, she slices and carves, twirling and dancing in a dance that cannot be taught as she attacks. Camilo just stands and takes it, unaffected by the violence bestowed upon him. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she falls to her knees, breathless and weak, horrified by her actions.
  He sits down beside her, placing a hand gently between her wings, soothingly scratching the fluffy feathers there. She looks at him with sorrow in her eyes.“Look, Rue, I’m not hurt. Everything is healed. Can you tell me how long you have been training?” He croons softly, eyes full of wonder and concern for the fragile girl.
  “Wh.. What do you mean? I’ve never trained a day in my life,” she whispers miserably, her head hanging low, hair creating a curtain to hide behind. He thinks a bit before deciding how to proceed.
  “Well... You see... I’ve never seen anything like that before. You hit every major kill point without hesitation. Your form was flawless. Rue, you're a warrior. There’s no other explanation. This is why you and your brother found me,” he pauses, fighting off a growing sickness in his belly, “ the old gods set you up. This was all a test. And you passed it.” He shivers at the thought of this young mother’s path being a violent one. He looks away as he hears her breath catch in her throat.
  She lets out a shuddering sob, the weight of everything she’s been though collapsing down upon her. She hops up, and climbs the large tree and settles herself in a cocoon of her wings on a large sturdy branch. Camilo couldn’t blame her. He silently curses his makers for their cruelty, not fearing the repercussions from his actions. Once again he hears her small boys voice and a wave of sadness rolls over him. 
  After a while of silence and regret, the frail girl climbs her way down, tears streaking down her cheeks. Camilo pulls her close, once again scratching her wing-beds in the way she likes. Hearing her stomach growl, he hands her a bit of the leftover meat to hold her over. As she begins to calm down, he grips her hand tight. It shocks him when she speaks, her voice as soft and small as a child, showing her age.
  “Camilo... I can’t be a warrior. Your ‘Old Gods’ can forget about it. I fight only for my children,” she whispers softly with strength and determination in her tone. She looks at him bravely, but she knows it wont work.
  Camilo pulls her close, and she wraps her large, soft wings around him. For once in his life he thanks the beings that have controlled every aspect of his miserable life. He smiles softly as she begins to doze off, letting himself fall into a peaceful sleep. The nightmares don’t bother him. 
  Long after midnight, Alaric returns to camp to find his sister and hew friend asleep in each others arms, and her wings. He smiles and sighs, gently moving her wings to place the sleeping children where they truly belong before starting the fire again and falling asleep himself.
  


© 2014 Caitlynn Cusick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really loved is. Amazing job. Would love to read more

Posted 9 Years Ago


Caitlynn Cusick

9 Years Ago

thanks! chapter three should be up soon.. having a bit of troubles with it so far. but im glad you e.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 2, 2014
Last Updated on November 5, 2014


Author

Caitlynn Cusick
Caitlynn Cusick

Chapel Hill, TN



About
Gwendolyn Nightshade is a pen name for an author in Tennessee. She is supported by family and friends, and planning on writing another collection. glitter-graphics.com [Glitterfy.co.. more..

Writing