Chapter four: A meeting with the king

Chapter four: A meeting with the king

A Chapter by Caitlynn Cusick

Chapter Four: A Meeting with the King.

 

Alaric watched over them from above, barely visible as more than a bird at this height. He saw everything from the kiss to the runes to the silence that followed and was saddened by the scene. It was obvious they were meant to be, why couldnt they see it? He sighs, getting lost in his thoughts before slamming hard into something extending out half a mile from Lucifers palace. He slides down the wall with a groan, landing with a thud beside Rosie and Camilo, who were in fits of laughter on the ground. He rubs his head and chuckles, shaking away the pain with a string of curses. Once they get over the laughter, they focus on the task at hand. After circling half the dome and realizing no one was around to let them in, they decide to rest and eat, being as it was already close to midnight.

Rosie woke up in a cloud of feathers and blankets, a bed filled to the brim with blankets and cotton cocooning her in comfort and warmth. She sighs happily, stretching her wings their full span of twelve feet and pulls them in again with a groan, jumping a bit when she feels Camilo fall into her arms like dead weight. She blushes, feeling embarrassed that her uncle must think they are together, and a thought crosses her mind. Lucifer hasnt seen any of them since before the fall. Its no surprise he thinks they are together. He probably thinks that the twins are his. She lies there in silence, considering things she has never thought before. Minutes turn into hours as Camilo snores softly in her arms, and the sun rises to its peak. She feels a stur beside her bend a couple of feathers back, and Camilo groans, pulling her close and nuzzling her neck. She grins and sighs against the warmth of his embrace. They jump when they hear a knock on the door, and Camilo curses at the intruder.

“By the order of Lucifer, Rosalyn Lenora Nightshade and her companion, Camilo, are requested to be present in the courts of Hell in one hour. You have clean clothes and food in your chamber,” the page announces annoyingly.

They groan, slipping out of the comfort of the bed. Rosie checks on the kids before getting ready, and Camilo begins an early morning workout, causing her to get lost in the sight of him. She feels comfortable around him. Brushing out her long black hair, she begins to sing a quiet lullaby, and forgets her surroundings. She quietly pulls on the clean slip left for her, and admires the deep green dress that hung on a wooden form for her, fingering the delicate gold embroidery along the strapless bodice and corset, smiling at the low back. Camilo steps up to her, and helps her step into the cumbersome dress, and she leans into him as he laces up the corset with ease, and he kisses her neck, sending shivers up her spine. She steps away and braids a gold ribbon into her hair, draping the long braid over one shoulder.

Camilo calls out to her, offering a quick breakfast as they race out the door, leaving the twins behind with a maid Rose recognizes from heaven. As they rush down the hall in a flurry of feathers, they run right into Alaric as he calmly walks back to is room. He laughs and curses, readjusting a thin silver band that rests on his head.

As they reach the chamber door, Rosie skids to a halt in her satin slippers, tumbling into a guard right as the doors swing open. She composes herself as Camilo gracefully walks in, and as she tries to follow, is stopped with a gentle touch on her shoulder. She sighs and leans against a wall while she waits for her turn to go in. Finally, the doors swing open, and fanfare begins to play as she walks in. As she journeys down the long room, demons bow to her. She expects Camilo to be gone, but he waits at the end of the aisle, bowed like the rest.

Lucifer stands beside him, his arms open wide, and she runs into the great man’s embrace and takes him in. He towers over her, his large black wings blocking out any light in the room when they wrap around her, making her feel small. His hair shines inky black and cascades down his back, and their clear, blue eyes meet and he smiles, causing her to bow in respect.

“Come now my darling girl! No need to be formal with me! We absolutely must catch up! I have a big dinner planned for you and your brother... And your guest,” he winks at her, causing her to blush furiously, “but for now, we have other matters to attend to. You see, your parents, may they rest in peace, were supposed to rule beside me down here, yet as you can see, they did not make it. Being as you and your brother were the only members of your family to survive, this makes you next in line for the position your mother would have held.”

Rosie goes silent, the memory of her parents and lost siblings bringing sorrow to her. After a moment, she speaks, strong enough for the whole chamber to be filled with her voice.

“I accept the position with full gratitude, i am honored to take this role, and thank you for trusting me with this power.”

The chamber murmurs with approval, and Lucifer claps happily, overjoyed by her choice. He signals to an attendee to grab a small box, and hands it to Camilo, who is beaming with pride at the young girl. With this movement, Lucifer hops down to the floor and takes on an air of elegance and authority.

“Now. Rosalyn Lenore Nightshade, do you promise to uphold the laws I have placed, rule with a kind, yet firm hand, and be an inspiration to all who encounter you?” Lucifer booms strongly, the audience quivering with anticipation.

“I do, Lucifer. You can count on me,” the small girl whispers out, falling to one knee in respect. Camilo then walks up to her, places a small golden crown around her head, and then pulls her to her feet with a smile. He bows low to her, taking to a knee, alongside everyone else in attendance. He softly whispers to her, “I love you, my queen.”



© 2014 Caitlynn Cusick


Author's Note

Caitlynn Cusick
gahh i have no idea whats wrong with my formatting 0.0

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on November 29, 2014
Last Updated on November 29, 2014


Author

Caitlynn Cusick
Caitlynn Cusick

Chapel Hill, TN



About
Gwendolyn Nightshade is a pen name for an author in Tennessee. She is supported by family and friends, and planning on writing another collection. glitter-graphics.com [Glitterfy.co.. more..

Writing