A new Dawn Rises

A new Dawn Rises

A Chapter by Caitlynn Cusick

Chapter three: A New Dawn

Camilo awoke to comfort. A smell of roses and angelic grace filled his senses. A feather caused him to sneeze. He was confused at first, but then memories flooded back to him. A battle between beauty and evil, the grace and agility of an angel in her prime, and the moment he realized not only her purpose, but his own. He did not wake up to nightmares, but to a small child smiling up at him, a beautiful pair of wings surrounding him in warmth, and a gentle, elegant girl beside him.

He looked beyond the soft blanket of her wings and over to Alaric, who was sleeping beside the small fire. He attempted to get up from where he leaned against the tree, but Rose pulled her wings tighter around him. He laughed softly, noticing how sleepy she really was, but also that the small twins were restless and obviously hungry. Careful not to wake her, he escapes her grasp and carries the twins to the pond for a bath while their mother sleeps.

Camilo didn’t quite understand what he felt. Love is such a new idea for him; and he isn’t really sure how it works, but he does know that he would die for these children. “Surely that is what love is,” he thinks out loud. 

“Do you not know what love is,” Alaric says from behind him, shock in his tone.

“I was never shown love. It was not my purpose,” Camilo snaps coldly with eyes like daggers. 

Alaric winces. As he starts to think, his eyes grow distant. “Well… Love is when you would give up everything for someone. It’s a cold winters day and a sunny summer afternoon. Its splashing in puddles on a rainy day even if you hate the rain. Its doing things you personally hate just because someone means so much to you. Love is the sun setting in the western sky, and the moon high above you. Love is a rose, but it is also a curse.” At this point, he is quiet, and Camilo knew he was thinking of his sisters. He got up, leaving the older brother to his thoughts with the children.

He doesn’t really know how or when he decided to tell her, but he knew he had to do it. He returns to camp to find Rose still asleep beside the tree. He smiles tenderly at the sight of her peaceful beauty, and wiggled back into her fluffy wings. It is at that moment, as she tightened her grip on him, that he knew what love really was. He was home. He kisses her forehead gently and falls to sleep again, a comfortable peace surrounding his thoughts and mind. The last words on his lips, “thank you.”

The cry of a large bird woke them up around midday. Bleary eyed, they yawn and stretch, her large feathered wings blocking the sun from his view as they extend fully around him. They turn to each other and jump as their lips almost meet. They fly apart and blush, and Camilo begins to rid the large bird of its heavy burdens. It was carrying three large traveling parcels, and a small pack of supplies. As he sorts out the packages and supplies, Rosie busies herself with the task of taking care of the fussy babes, who are fascinated by the large falcon.

After a seemingly long silence, Camilo roughly throws a large pack directly into Alarics chest, slapping him hard on the shoulders with a large smile. He then gently sets a pack beside Rose, a small smile the only hint at emotion he shows her, his eyes attempting to say what his mouth cannot. Looking to the babes in her arms, he grins widely and snaps his fingers and a large wagon piled high with blankets appears from within a small box he has procured from his own pack. He lifts them up, giggling and kissing their little stomachs before setting them in the wagon and hopping to his feet.

“Ok guys! We’ve stayed here for way too long, and Lucifer’s palace is only a hard days walk from here. We have everything we could possibly need, courtesy of the Old Gods, so be grateful! Breakfast is in your bags, and can be eaten as we walk.” His voice is strong and proud, and for once he seems to be glad for their company. 

Alaric salutes the young general with a wink, adjusting the backpack around his wings, and takes to the sky with a riotous cackle. Rosie blushes as she curses Alaric, a smile on her lips. She crouches down to make sure the babes are resting comfortably, kissing each fuzzy little head before grabbing the wagon’s handle. She jumps when her hand hits Camilo’s right as he reaches for it as well. She mumbles an apology and steps to the side, retreating into her pack for her breakfast, which consists of surprisingly fresh, warm bread,  hard, salty cheese, and cured meat of an unknown origin.

Camilo looks at her, his eyes filled with an indiscernible sadness, but starts to trek onward, the children in tow, and Rose to the side. Once again there was silence. Before they could get too far, he stops with a frustrated sigh and drops the wagon’s handle with a thud to the hard dirt under their feet. Rose, however, keeps on walking and he grabs her arm, stopping her in her tracks. He pulls her into his arms and kisses her long and deep with all the love he cannot find the words to speak. She gasps, unsure of how to react, painful memories flooding forth, yet somehow erased in the storm of his smell. They kiss over and over, sparks and flames igniting around them, a magnetic force pulling them together.

After an endless eternity of breathless kisses, he pulls away regretfully. She stares in awe and points to the blazing runes covering his body. “Huh,” he smiles,”they’ve never done that before.” But then again, he’s never been kissed like that before. He places a hand on her cheek and admired the ruby flush of her pale skin, the way she catches her breath, and every aspect of the beautiful girl just inches away from him. He gasps softly as a gentle glow becomes visible just above her heart under her thin traveling tunic. They both reach out for each other, touching the slightly warm spots appearing on their hearts. He strips off the leather tunic he wears and stares at the strange, fiery rune that filled a once empty space on his left breastbone. A nervous shiver comes over Rue as she pulls the tunic around her shoulders, showing a matching rune on her milky white skin. They stare at the runes, a fiery circle around a curving, scrolling symbol inside.

“It.... It means family, Rue.... Soulmates... They warned me this would happen.. I didnt know it would be you...,” he whispers out breathlessly.

She steps away, pulling the top tight around her collarbone. Without a sound, she picks up Calystia and begins to walk, leaving Luca behind with Camilo, who takes him in his arms and snaps the wagon back into the box, following the upset girl. They walk side beside, not a word spoken, occasionally, theyd brush hands, or her wing would touch his back, but they would not look at each other, for fear of what they will see in each others eyes. Silence followed them like an old friend.



© 2014 Caitlynn Cusick


Author's Note

Caitlynn Cusick
whats wrong with the formatting? Help!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
Added on November 29, 2014
Last Updated on November 29, 2014


Author

Caitlynn Cusick
Caitlynn Cusick

Chapel Hill, TN



About
Gwendolyn Nightshade is a pen name for an author in Tennessee. She is supported by family and friends, and planning on writing another collection. glitter-graphics.com [Glitterfy.co.. more..

Writing