NOT   "Off With His Head"

NOT "Off With His Head"

A Story by Carola
"

My alternate short story, to an original story written by Anne, an old school friend

"
My old school friend Anne belongs to a writers group. They often use Shakespeare’s quotations and write short stories around these quotes.
This particular Shakespeare's quote for her story was “Off With His Head”

Her story was about a man named Sam, annoyed with his chicken coup’s rooster vocalizing at dawn and disturbing his sleep. Her story describes Sam’s solution and his engagement of chasing & catching the old rooster for decapitation. Then present it to his wife Hazel to cook for dinner, which she flatly refused, for reasons that the meat would be too tough.


~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

 ... My Alternative Story : NOT Off With His Head ...

How very sad 😭 for this rooster, who enjoyed welcoming in the new day with an array of vocal poultry talk, squawking being his only language skill.

Sam, the rooster’s ’guardian’, a typical bloke with no lateral thinking abilities, considered solving the daybreak rooster cacophony, only with thoughts of murder on his mind.  

Never once did an alternate non-murder solution occur to Sam with his dwarf sized brain, who has not even the tiniest of animal linguistic, nor animal behaviour savvy to his name.

A more compassionate alternative comes to my mind….Why Not??  -->>>  try placing Mr Rooster into darkened accommodation where the rooster’s natural light-oriented time clock might be defeated!
‘Cos for many humans, irritating daybreak rooster-speak announcements would be a bit more acceptable maybe an hour or two later.

Sam could then arise from his slumber at his usual time, open up Mr Rooster’s darkened, soundproof den and allow him to stroll out to engage in his normal morning vocal ritual, shake his feathers and join his hen harem for breakfast.

Hazel will now not need to waste her time, summoning up all her culinary and spice skills, endeavouring to convert a chewy and leathery headless old rooster into a reasonably palatable dinner dish.

A Could Be Happy Ending with Smiles all round 🙂 😀
... simple-minded Sam is not cranky;
... Hazel has time to do more useful and interesting things she enjoys; and
... our Mr Rooster, the subject of this short story, is still alive, surrounded by his feathered clan and playmates, to enjoy his everyday poultry activities and hierarchical chicken politics.  Woo-hoo!

 by Carola Hume /January 2022 (edited March ''22)


.

© 2023 Carola


Author's Note

Carola
I'm a fish-eating vegetarian, so I felt spurred on to write my own version of Anne's story with a less deadly and alternative ending.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh Carola, I loved this read. Simple Sam with a peanut brain certainly wasn't a thinker. Poor Mr Rooster had such an unnecessary ending. Just a bit of thought required for an alternative solution. So applicable to our world today. More lateral thinking required. You rock Carola :)

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carola

2 Years Ago

hi chris, glad you liked my version of Anne's story.
yes, lateral thinking is sadly lacking i.. read more



Reviews

Oh Carola, I loved this read. Simple Sam with a peanut brain certainly wasn't a thinker. Poor Mr Rooster had such an unnecessary ending. Just a bit of thought required for an alternative solution. So applicable to our world today. More lateral thinking required. You rock Carola :)

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carola

2 Years Ago

hi chris, glad you liked my version of Anne's story.
yes, lateral thinking is sadly lacking i.. read more
I'm not that Sam... I swear I'm not, though when young, I did off an old, mean, rooster that ended up in a Sunday boiling pot. This Mr. Rooster was a very lucky fellow, I'd say. Sam, though not the brightest, had compassion enough to save the vocally-excessive bird. (A dark, sound-proof enclosure--that's clever) Not being on FB, I couldn't read your friend's less humane version.


Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Carola

2 Years Ago

hi sam, thanks for stopping by to read & review. haven't been on WC in over a year, hadn't done any .. read more
oh my dear carola, you write prose beautifully, I really enjoyed this and hey, bonus points for using cacophony, one of my favorite words. I do owe you several returned favors and I always return them but often take breaks from the computer because of my vision but I will return to you - to give back the love to my new friend. Hugs! Write On!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Carola

2 Years Ago

thanks patricia. understood about your vision.
i tend to be here on WC for a couple of weeks.. read more
Patricia

2 Years Ago

Oh wow, really! Yes William thinks I should send it to Putin. LOL

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 21, 2022
Last Updated on March 11, 2023
Tags: squawking rooster

Author

Carola
Carola

Australia



About
Hello, Greetings from sunny Australia 👋 ☀️ 🇦🇺 🔹I'm a retired commercial pilot now in my late 70s. ➤➤ My husband Peter recently had to .. more..

Writing
~ Geniuses ~ ~ Geniuses ~

A Poem by Carola



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..