Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Casey Francis

I couldn't keep myself from fidgeting in the carriage the whole way there. Thankfully my mother hadn't taken notice of my scrambled nerves. When the carriage finally came to a stop, I let out a breath I felt I was probably holding the majority of the trip. As we made our way to the front door my nerves became even more frazzled as I began to worry about my appearance. Mother knocked on the door as I toyed nervously with one of my perfect curls. I didn't understand why I had felt so nervous about seeing William again.


The large door swung open and an elderly butler appeared. Introductions we're given and then we we're lead into a sun room with a grand piano in the center. Mother nudged me jokingly and said, "Maybe you could play for our wonderful hosts." The smirk on her face turned into a wide toothy grin as I blushed.


"Please sit," the elderly man gestured.


A minute later, a slender woman with big brown eyes and dark hair entered the room. "Veronica!" My mother expressed her excitement to see her new found friend.


Mrs. Barker grinned ear to ear and hugged Mother. "It's so good to see you, Gemma!"


My mother introduced me to Mrs. Barker and we all sat to discuss the weather. I sat quietly, sipping my tea, listening to my mother talk about my upcoming birthday party and invited her to come and bring anyone she wished. I felt awkward about people I had never met in my life coming to celebrate my birth, but said nothing. 


Both the women gossiped as I admired the large bookcases that stretched for the expensive carpeted floor almost to the ceiling. My fingers were tingling with a desire to pick up a new book and I had yet to find one.


"Do you read?" Mrs Barker chimed in my direction.


I looked back at her. "Oh, yes, much more than I like to admit. I'll read anything I can get my hands on." I felt my ears burn as Mrs. Barker's smile broadened.


"Well, perhaps William could give you a tour of the library once he comes downstairs to introduce himself." A sensation ran through my body that I'd never felt before. A chilling tingle ran from head to my toes and down my spine, setting my nerves on edge. "He's such a gentleman and he has a very large heart," She continued talking, but I wasn't actually hearing what she was saying.


"Mother, I know you are not embarrassing me while I haven't even entered the room yet." A strong familiar voice froze me in my seat with a strange kind of excitement.

William entered the room and carried himself the way I expected he did. He stood up straight and  carried himself with determination. I couldn't help but stare even though this had actually been our second meeting. When his eyes landed on me a wave of heat ran through me. The heat yearned for something I couldn't name. When he smirked the heat burned and demanded to be felt.


"Hello." A simple word escaped his lips and my senses were sent over a cliff.


"Hello," I felt my cheeks become red and caught myself remembering about the book store. He didn't have this reaction on me then, and I couldn't understand why he did now. I looked in any other direction except for his. The need I felt when I looked at him was unbearable.


"Will, Dear, will you give Amelia a tour of our library? She says she has a powerful love for books." His mother gave him a look that I couldn't quite read.


"Of course." He smiled at me and set my nerves on fire.


"Follow me, please." I stood, shakily walking along side him, trying to keep my distance. I was hoping to get to the library without having to attempt small talk. "So," I had been sadly mistaken, "why are you here today?"


I scowled at him. "I am here because my mother said there was a special friend of hers she wanted me to me, who just so happens to be your mother."


"So you didn't just come here in hopes of seeing me again?" He pretended to be hurt.


"No." I tried to speak with a steady voice, but my body was failing at any command I gave.


"Hmm," he didn't press me for more answers to absurd questions, but he had a smirk on his face that meant he got the answer he wanted.


We reached the large door to his family's library. "M'lady," as he pushed the door open wide for me to drink in the view the restricting door frame would allow.


My mouth slacked open and a small gasp flowed from my lips. My hands clasped together in front of my mouth in awe. "This is indefinably magnificent!" I squealed, my excitement overtaking my cool demeanor.


"We have quite the collection, don't we?" His inexplicable grin reaching his eyes. "You seem rather excited," he pointed out, "it's quite adorable I must admit, but almost strange. I've never met someone who gets so excited about literature."


My entire face burned a bright red that made him burst with an infectious laughter that brought a giggle from my chest.


"Sorry, I've just never been around so many books in my

life. I've always wanted something like this."


"I'm assuming yours would be much bigger if it were possible," he came to my side as I scaled the shelves, touching every leather spine I could. "If you want, I could let you borrow some of them."


"Really?" I was practically bouncing with excitement.


"As long as you promise to come back and visit," he winked and my cheeks flushed.


"And what makes you think I wouldn't just take these books and run for the hills?" I raised my eyebrow at him.


"I guess I just have to trust that you will return my precious books and come see me again."


"And why would I come see you?" I asked, mocking him.


For the same reason you came today," he stated bluntly.


My cheeks and ears burned. "I - I would have never known I was coming to see your mother for tea!" I stammered.


"Of course you didn't," He winked and turned away.


 

 

"Amelia, I believe it is about time we head home before your father worries too much, don't you?" My mother asked as William and I entered the room.


"Yes, I think so. It was lovely meeting you Mrs. Barker and your son was kind enough to let me borrow some books, I hope that is all right with you." I took a step further into the room.


"Oh, of course! Take as many as you want. You're mother was just telling me how smart you are and how much you love to read. She said you are very interested in our town's legend of 'The Garden,' is that right?" She asked.


"Yes. I've always been very interested in things of that nature." I smiled as I answered, feeling awkward about my mother speaking to people about me and my hobbies that I didn't feel comfortable sharing.


"Well, we best be off! We will be back very soon and don't you two forget about her birthday coming up." My mother teased.


"You're birthday?" William asked.


"Yes, my parents are throwing me a small party for my birthday and you both are invited. I will be seventeen." I breathed, the thought of William attending my party made my heart race.


"We will definitely be there." His mother chimed while William stood still processing my reactions to inviting him.


"We will see you both very soon. I will have invitations sent to your home." My mother gave her show stopping smile and then we departed. I turned to look back at William who stared after me with a smile that made my heart flutter.



© 2014 Casey Francis


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on October 4, 2014
Last Updated on October 4, 2014


Author

Casey Francis
Casey Francis

Sapulpa, OK



About
I'm seventeen. My full name is Cassandra Lynne Francis. I'm really open and sort of awkward, but isn't everyone? I love writing. It's always been a passion of mine. I hope everyone enjoys my work! more..

Writing