Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Catherine L

I wake so up tired; I tossed and turned all night and woke up several times because of disturbing dreams.  The first thing that comes to my mind is what happened yesterday and how unsettled it makes me feel.  I was hoping it was all a bad dream.  I hear the coffee machine turn on and check the clock " 5:30 am.  I linger in bed until the aroma of fresh brewed coffee fills the bedroom.  I get up, put on my robe and head to the kitchen.  I pour myself a cup of coffee, sit down at the kitchen bar and begin to think about yesterday.

The day was a blur.  When I got to work Doris, an older woman who volunteers, and Linda, my part-time assistant, a young wife and mother of 2 year old Ila, were already there.  I’m the owner of the Main Street Gallery.  It’s a small gallery that shows mostly paintings, photography and sculptures from local artists.  Many of our artists are winter residents and they enjoy the inspiration our town offers them. They will be returning soon and the gallery is always busy during the winter months so we are getting ready for the upcoming season.

 “Kate, it’s just so sad.”   “I don’t know what I would do if something happened to Ila.” 

“It’s always hardest on the mother.”  “Not that the father doesn’t suffer too.”  “This is not the first time I have seen this in my life.”  “But I when I do, I always pray it’s the last.”  Doris adds.

“The whole situation is just so unbelievable.” I say.  “It breaks my heart to think of that little boy.”  “It’s almost too painful to talk about.”

I knew Doris and Linda would let the conversation fade.  What could I say to them about my experience?  How can I explain something I don’t understand?

I feel myself getting upset again and decide enough of thinking about this tragedy.  I rinse out my coffee cup, change clothes, put on a light jacket and go out for my morning run.  My apartment is in town and I especially enjoy my early morning run down by the River Walk; the heart of our little town.  I pass by the café and see Janie setting up the outside tables for the breakfast patrons and I smell the freshly baked breads coming from the bakery next door. I pass by the Main Street Gallery which I am very proud to part of this seaside town.  The local market has fresh fruits and vegetables already displayed outside along with bouquets of fresh flowers. On the weekend I always double back around and treat myself.  But since it’s a weekday I keep going to the path by the river which is lined with mature trees and park benches.  It’s idyllic and it feels like I am living in one of the beautiful painting displayed in my gallery.  I am lost in the sights and sounds of my town and lose track of where I am going.  Suddenly I stop and realize I am at the edge of the children’s park.

The park is empty but looks tranquil and inviting. I look over to the swing set where I first saw Dylan standing yesterday. I walk over there and stand quietly hoping to make some sense out of this madness.  Looking around I notice something sticking out of the ground underneath the swing.  I bend down, pick it up and immediately lose my balance falling to the ground and dropping the item. I feel like the ground is swaying and a strange feeling comes over me. I am a little disoriented but otherwise alright. I see that what I picked up was a child’s sandal, a brown one just like the ones Dylan had on yesterday.  I stay seated on the ground and pick up the sandal again.  This time I close my eyes and brace myself for what might happen.  This time I see an image of a man.  He is young, in his mid-20’s.  He has a slight build and dark hair.  I can’t see his face but I notice he’s wearing denim pants, a white tee shirt with black lettering on it and black work boots.  The image disappears as quickly as it came.  I put the sandal down.  I know instinctually that the image I see is the person involved in this crime.  It sounds crazy but it’s so clear to me.   I take off my jacket and carefully wrap the sandal and take it with me.

When I get home I set the jacket and sandal on the coffee table not sure what to do with it.  I head to the shower and get ready for work.

 

 

 



© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on November 8, 2012
Last Updated on November 14, 2012


Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L