Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Catherine L

I decide to go to the memorial service this afternoon.  Maybe this will give me closure on the situation.  I forego my run this morning and head over go to The River Walk Café for a breakfast and to visit with Janie.  I get there early and sit inside at the counter. 

“Hi Kate it’s not the weekend already is it?”

“No Janie, I just need to change it up this morning.”  “Pretty soon I’ll be too busy to open the gallery at 9:30 am so I’m taking advantage of it now.”

“Good for you”  “What can I get you this morning?”

“First a nice hot cup of your breakfast blend coffee and I think I’ll have the buttermilk pancakes with fresh blueberries.”

“You are treating yourself today.”

As I wait for my breakfast the café begins to fill up.  Most people are reading the morning paper, but there are a few people talking in hushed voices about the tragedy.  I stay to myself and enjoy my delicious breakfast and make a promise to run a little longer to offset this indulgence.

I’m working alone today which I’m grateful.  It’s quiet all morning and no one stops in except for Sam, a cat who has adopted me.  She shows up at the back door looking for treats which I am happy to give her.  The long quiet morning stretches into the afternoon but before I know it it’s time to leave.

The service starts at 4:00 pm but I decide to get there a little later " around 4:30 pm.  The service should almost be over by then and I will have some privacy to reflect on all of this.  At 4:00 pm I switch the phone to voice mail and place a sign on the door that says the gallery will reopen tomorrow morning at 9:30 am.

I take the leisurely 30 minute drive along the river.  It’s a nice distraction for me.  The river looks peaceful and there are a few boaters out enjoying the weather.

I arrive at Water’s Edge Park where the memorial service is just about over.  There are still a few people   lingering. I see the news crew packing up and getting ready to leave.  As I walk toward the seating area I see a woman standing there.  Her back is to me but I recognize her from the children’s park the day she came to get Dylan.   She’s dressed in a white summer dress and has a pink sweater wrapped around her shoulders.  Her long brown hair is pinned up.  When I get next to her I see she’s holding a small bouquet of white and pink carnations.

 “I recognize you from the children’s park.”  “You called for Dylan.”  “I thought you were his mother.”

“No, I’m not Dylan’s mother.”

“So who are you?”

“I’m Adriel.”  “I am here to watch over him and make sure he isn’t alone.”

“I don’t understand.”  “If you are here to watch over him, why did you let such a terrible thing happen to him?”

“I can’t stop what is to happen, but I am here for him afterward.”  “I know it’s difficult to understand at first but I’m sure you will later.”

“It’s just so sad.”  “Dylan had such a short life.”  “It’s not fair he shouldn’t have suffered like that.”  “When he came to me I could feel that his heart was broken”.  “I don’t think he ever felt loved.”  “He never experienced love and protection from his family.”  “I just wanted him to know that he wasn’t alone and that someone did love him.”  “That’s all any child wants.”

Adriel and I stand next to each other in silence looking out over beautiful park and the large trees lining the pathway to the water.  I begin to think about the people I’ve know who have passed on and how they lived their life and the joy they found.  I also think about all the people who come into life without love and protection and how hard it must have been for them, especially the children.

My cell phone begins to vibrate.  I reach into my pocket and pull it out.  There is a text message from Det. Fitzpatrick.  He’s ready to meet with me and discuss the note I left.  As I put the phone back in my pocket I hear Adriel say “I chose well.”   “Kate, you’ll do just fine”.  When I look up to ask her what she means, she’s gone.

I stand there for a few more minutes taking in the conversation and all that’s happened over the last three days.  I sense my life will never be the same again.  I head back to my car and when I open the door I see on the passenger seat a bouquet of white and pink carnations with a card attached to it that says “We’ll meet again”.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Catherine L


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on November 8, 2012
Last Updated on November 14, 2012


Author

Catherine L
Catherine L

FL



About
I am native Floridian. Living by the sea is inspirational and somewhat of a mystery. As I enter the 2nd phase of my life I am filled with the desire to explore my creative side. Writing is a new.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Story by Catherine L