Chapter 2: Aftermath

Chapter 2: Aftermath

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

Mike recovers from his accident, but his desire for revenge against Mark continues to consume him.

"

To my luck and utter astonishment, I ultimately made a full recovery from the tackling incident, all without a single scar or permanent side-effect. I'm just a tad fuzzy on the specifics of it all, but I remember there were thankfully no injuries to my head, neck, or spine. My hands and fingers were still fully functional, though my range of movement with them was limited, due to multiple fractures in both arms. In addition to that, I had separated both of my shoulders, and about six or seven of my ribs had been cracked. I managed to heal completely by the time Spring Break rolled around, but the coach wouldn't let me play on the team until after summer vacation. And without me to lead the charge on the field, my team lost every single game for the remainder of sophomore year.


Things weren't all bad for me, though. I managed to keep my grades up and even do better than I probably would've if I could still play football. In fact, part of me enjoyed being able to travel between school and home with fewer outside obligations, even going so far as to miss the old days in which my life was structured in that same way. I also started a serious relationship with Katherine, and having her around to assist me while I was crippled was an absolute life-saver. If anything, I'd say that brought us even closer together than if I hadn't been injured. Getting brutally tackled during that game may have greatly hurt my body, but you could say it benefitted me in other regards, like the ones I just mentioned.


However, there was still the matter of Mark Simmons. Yes, you heard that right. I finally learned his first name. It was right before the first game of junior year, where he apologized for crippling me and properly introduced himself. But anyway, during the long span of time after he first tackled me, I felt utterly traumatized by the incident. I managed to brush this aside whenever I partook in another football game, but whenever I was alone, especially at night, I would often undergo several fits of anxiety and/or nervous breakdowns over what happened. Sometimes I would feel rage building up inside me as well, which quickly manifested into a strong urge to get back at the guy somehow.


By this time, roughly two years had passed since the incident. I was busying myself at my home, Seymour Manor, as I got ready for yet another big game. After recovering from my injuries, my first order of business was to train and beef myself up a little so I wouldn't suffer the same fate twice, but as I grew stronger and more resilient, Mark did too. We kept showing up at each and every game as we led our respective teams, prepared to compete for the trophy. We each gave it our all, and I even managed to tackle him a few times, but ultimately I lost to him every single time. Sure, he was no longer able to break my bones with his tackling, but the constant losses nonetheless took a toll on me... if by "took a toll" you mean fueled my desire to eventually best him.


Before stepping out of my room, I adjusted my bleached blonde bowl-cut. I greatly despised having my hair styled this way, but at least it wouldn't get mussed up every time I put on a football helmet. I stepped into the kitchen where my adoptive parents were busying themselves looking over several financial documents at the table, immediately making a beeline for the well-stocked cabinets. I checked both the fridge and pantry, which oddly contained nothing but store-brand products, until I found one of my favorite dark chocolate protein shakes. I guzzled it down in less than a second, before immediately rushing towards the door.


"We're sorry again for not being able to make it to your game tonight," Dad called after me. "But you know how it is in the world of wealthy business empires. You can't pass up on golden opportunities."


"Maybe if we can secure this investment, we'll finally replace the Simmons family as the wealthiest in the country," Mom added excitedly.


I briefly paused at the sound of that name. Mark Simmons was rich too? And his parents rivaled mine just like their son rivaled me? I quickly snapped out of it and put on an understanding smile.


"It's okay, I understand," I said.


"Remember to be back by midnight, honey," Mom called out.


"No problem," I replied as I left.


I maintained the gentle grin on my face as I shut the door behind me and began my jog to the football field. God, I loved my parents so much. If it weren't for them, who knows how I would've turned out? Thanks to a quick glance at my personal documents, I know that my birth mother died in childbirth, but I have absolutely no memory of her nor my father, and hell, I don't even know if I was born in Hitsville or not.


My earliest memories took place in an orphanage somewhere outside of town. I remember being rejected by more couples than I could count, most likely due to my mild case of autism, and after a few years, it grew so tiresome that I snuck out and became a wanderer. Eventually I was found by two odd individuals. First there was Clark, a pansexual man with spiky red hair and a personality as vibrant as the clothes on his back. Accompanying him was Cheryl, a trans woman of about the same age with sandy, chin-length hair.


I don't recall how exactly our first interaction went, but ultimately they took me in. I remember asking them why they wanted an autistic screw-up like me as their son, and they simply replied: "Because we know exactly how it feels to get ostracized just for being ourselves." That statement alone resonated so well with me, and as soon as I heard it, I just knew I was destined to be raised by these two individuals. Plus the fact that they were filthy rich didn't hurt either. I had a feeling that their surplus of wealth and success was the only reason they were respected at all.


But wealthy or not, I wouldn't have traded in my adoptive parents for anyone. They made me who I am to this day, and they also inspired me to become a strong supporter of LGBT rights, despite the otherwise Republican viewpoints I would acquire as I grew up.


I thought about all of this to pass the time until I finally made it across town. I briefly stopped to catch my breath as I eyed the crowds entering the local football stadium, decked out in apparel that corresponded to both competing teams.


Welp, here goes nothing, I told myself as I got ready for yet another game.



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ah this is a satisfying second chapter. I am glad that Mike got over his injuries, nothing serious happened to him. Mark apologized! I was not expecting that, in the first chapter mark gave off mean bully vibes, someone who would not apologize! Katharine and Mike seem to be hitting it off, I'm excited to see where this story arc goes! I would have liked to know how their relationship developed like what they did after school. It's so cool that Mike's rivalry with Mark is like a Microcosm of Mike's parents rivalry with Marks parents to be the richest in the country!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ah this is a satisfying second chapter. I am glad that Mike got over his injuries, nothing serious happened to him. Mark apologized! I was not expecting that, in the first chapter mark gave off mean bully vibes, someone who would not apologize! Katharine and Mike seem to be hitting it off, I'm excited to see where this story arc goes! I would have liked to know how their relationship developed like what they did after school. It's so cool that Mike's rivalry with Mark is like a Microcosm of Mike's parents rivalry with Marks parents to be the richest in the country!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
1 Review
Added on April 16, 2022
Last Updated on April 16, 2022
Tags: drama, angst, origin story, suspense, romance, villain protagonist


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing