Chapter 4: Tragedy

Chapter 4: Tragedy

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

Mike's downward spiral continues when he suddenly loses some of the folks who were the closest to him.

"

Sadly, that wasn't the last panic attack I'd experience. They were almost non-stop for the rest of high school, and it was all due to that one incident in 10th Grade. Sounds petty, I know, but that's just how my mind worked, being the autistic man that I am. Like before, I was able to shove those thoughts and urges to the back of my mind whenever I was at a football game, or during my time spent with Katherine or my parents. But whenever I found myself all alone and with nothing or no one to distract me, namely at night after bedtime, I was an emotional wreck. These panic attacks ate away at me like nothing else. It grew irritating, and I even began to get mad and annoyed at myself for constantly having them. But how in the hell was I going to explain my problem to anyone without making myself look like a complete lunatic?


College turned out not to be so bad. Since it was located within the small town, just like all the other schools, Katherine and I didn't have to say goodbye to each other, and neither of us bothered to live on campus. Then again, the only people who even bothered with the dormitories were students who transferred in from outside of Hitsville. I was able to get through all four years easily, partially due to a football scholarship, and since we were in college, we had many more options for other teams to play against. This meant that I would face off against the Kicksburg Rottweilers, as well as Mark, much less often than in high school.


Maybe this was a sign that I should drop our rivalry and get over what happened, but regardless, it still had a positive effect on me; the panic attacks that had plagued me throughout high school occurred considerably less frequently during college. That alone made me feel so much more liberated, and even my peers took notice of the changes that came with it. I got more sleep, I felt cheerier, and I thought less and less about Mark with each passing day.


However, just when I thought I was nearly ready to get over my grudge/obsession, life just had to hit me dead in the stomach with another curveball. It was late one evening as I strolled back to Seymour Manor, following an exhilarating first football game of senior year, which was against the Tennessee Volunteers. It also happened to be yet another football game that my adoptive parents couldn't attend, due to their still ongoing feud with the Simmons family. Using the spare key, I entered the front door and looked around the mostly darkened interior of my parents' mansion.


"Mom?" I called out. "Dad?"


There was no answer, which I found odd, seeing how they were usually up at this time.


"Hello?" I called again. "Are you two up? I came home well before curfew and everything."


As I spoke, I walked around the first floor of the house, where I then noticed the door to the basement was cracked, and the light on the inside was on. With my curiosity at its zenith, I made my way downstairs and looked around. The first thing that caught my eye was the dim lightbulb on a chain that dangled above the workout corner. Cautiously moving towards it, I caught a better look at what had happened. Both of my parents had hung themselves from the chin-up bar using brightly-colored resistance bands. By now their bodies had grown limp, and their eyes were glossy. Pressing a finger to each of their throats told me they were already dead.


In an instant, I felt a queasiness bubbling up in my stomach as my breathing grew shallow and it felt as though my head was spinning around at blinding speeds, about to unscrew itself from my neck before popping off and spraying blood all over the place. I quickly plopped down on the workout bench and held my head and stomach for a few seconds, before noticing a slightly crinkled sheet of lined paper lying on the carpet, with a note written on it in blue ink. I immediately snatched it up and began to read.


Dear Michael,


For years, we've have been constantly competing against the Simmons empire for the most property ownership in America, but recently they've been charging ahead and even purchasing stakes in some of the businesses we own. And just last week, we made a highly risky investment that left us nearly bankrupt.


If you are reading this, then you most likely know what happened by now, but rest assured, your mother and I will always be with you - in your heart. What can I say, other than: the terrible mistake we made, combined with this endless feud with the Simmons clan has pushed us over the brink.


As for our final wishes, please get us out of this financial instability. You can worry about beating the Simmons' later, but first and foremost, please get us on track again!


Goodbye, and with tons of love, from your father!


I trembled a bit as I read that note, but after I finished, I didn't quite know how I felt. I didn't feel like crying or raging, but I certainly didn't feel happy either. Both my mind and face went as blank as the carcasses before me as I took in everything that had abruptly happened that evening, but before I could spend too much time thinking on it, my iPhone 4 chimed. Swiping it open revealed a text from Katherine.


"Hey Mike! Dad just went home and Mom's out of town until noon, so we'll have the house all to ourselves. We can even use the master bedroom if you want, and you can sleep over too! ;D <3," she said.


I didn't immediately respond as I briefly weighed my options. Seeing how my parents were no longer with us, Katherine was easily the next best person I could speak to about my current situation. But then again, if I left to spend the night with her, then there was a chance something could happen here at the manor in my absence.


After a few more moments of deliberating, I ultimately decided to leave. My parents' deaths had been highly discreet, so it wasn't like anyone else in town would suspect anything. Plus, after going on such a short yet topsy-turvy emotional roller-coaster, I felt I deserved something to help me take my mind off things, whether it be a walk around town, a chat with close companions, or even a night of lovemaking.



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Woah woah woah, Mikes parents kill themselves? I was not expecting that. Their obsession to beat the Simmons empire has put then over the edge, causing them to be bankrupt. Greed is pure evil. When you have something you want more and this is what happened to Mikes parents. But to just kill yourself and leave behind your son? Thats cruel. Now in addition to his panic attacks, Mike has to find away to get out of bankruptcy that was his parents own doing? Thats alot of stress on his shoulders.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Woah woah woah, Mikes parents kill themselves? I was not expecting that. Their obsession to beat the Simmons empire has put then over the edge, causing them to be bankrupt. Greed is pure evil. When you have something you want more and this is what happened to Mikes parents. But to just kill yourself and leave behind your son? Thats cruel. Now in addition to his panic attacks, Mike has to find away to get out of bankruptcy that was his parents own doing? Thats alot of stress on his shoulders.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
1 Review
Added on April 18, 2022
Last Updated on April 18, 2022
Tags: drama, angst, origin story, suspense, romance, villain protagonist


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing



FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars