Chapter 2: I'm Sure I Can't Manage

Chapter 2: I'm Sure I Can't Manage

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

Katrina intends to take it easy in Mark's absence, but soon learns that running his wealthy business empire isn't as easy as it sounds.

"

At Simmons Manor Sr., over on the opposite side of Kicksburg, Katrina makes her way to the pool deck out back, still unafraid to wear a bikini despite having popped out two kids and being past fifty. Her hair is also wavy and worn all the way down, and it's just long enough to hide her tramp-stamp and bulbous backside. Italian women are notoriously self-confident when it comes to their bodies. Go to any beach in Italy, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a single one-piece in sight, for instead you'll find women rocking bikinis or even going topless, regardless of their age or size, or whether or not they even have anything to show off.


Katrina is no exception to this rule. Ever since hitting physical puberty back in eighth grade, she has never been shy about displaying a bit of cleavage or midriff, and just about every dress she owns shows off her legs in some way. Why, there were even times when, provided no one was coming over that day, Katrina would walk around the mansion in nothing but Lounge Underwear sets, though she stopped doing this once her children came into the picture.


Even though Springtime has yet to come, Katrina and the other women in her life have agreed to make use of the jacuzzi. She's been hanging out with them a lot more often these days, seeing how Mark is not around, as she would be all but lonely otherwise. One of the other women in question is Janice Van Dyke, a buxom Caucasian with the classic blonde hair and sapphire eye combo; the oldest person present, and the only one not wearing swimwear of any kind, instead donning winter clothes and sitting just close enough to talk to everyone else. She's a close friend whose late husband acted as the preacher for Katrina and Mark's wedding, and even directed the funeral for the latter's parents.


"So one thing I really don't like about menopause is the fact that I often have too much free time," Janice comments. "I mean, I'm not saying I liked having a period, but back when I had them, it at least gave me something to plan my schedules around. But now that nothing's there to occupy that space, I just... I have no idea what to do now."


"Well, there's always dating." shrugs Justine, Katrina's daughter and the twin sister of Mark Jr. She looks near identical to her mother aside from having her father's light red hair, and is the only other person here sporting a bikini. She currently owns a mansion over in Pasadena, as well as a small portion of the Simmons business empire, though she still regularly comes to Kicksburg to visit her family.


It is then that everyone turns to see Katrina approaching them.


"Yeesh, would it kill you to cover up a bit more? I can see every last vericose vein on your legs, for crying out loud!" sneers Priscilla, who has permanently switched to one-pieces whenever she's near water. A semi-retired Broadway star, she is Katrina's elder sister by seven years, though she could pass for her identical twin if not for a few small differences.


"Oh, stop it you." Katrina playfully nudges her sister as she gets in the hot tub, knowing she's not being serious. "Frankly, I'm surprised ya' don't wear bikinis, Ms. I ain't never been pregnant."


"That's because unlike you, I understand that there comes a point in your life when you shouldn't dress a certain way anymore." Priscilla folds her arms, her Brooklyn accent thrice as thick as Katrina's. "And it doesn't matter how young you were when you had the kids, or how well you take care of yourself."


"But how can you possibly say that as an Italian?" Katrina asks.


"It's a little something I like to call breaking a stereotype, sweetie," Priscilla counters. "Hence why you never see me talk with my hands."


"Goddamn it, can't you two ever be in the same room without bickering?" Janice rolls her eyes. Every single time the four get together, this always happens.


"Oh, lay off. It's what siblings do, and I should know," Justine replies. "Though granted, Junior and I never argued quite this much."


"Never? I ain't so sure about that. After all, you and your brother spent three whole months away from us," Katrina giggles.


"Hey now, what happened on that island stays on the island." Justine turns up her nose in contempt.


Before things can escalate any further, Katrina swears she can faintly hear the phone ringing from inside the house. She initially shrugs it off before the ringing persists, prompting her to sigh and climb out of the hot tub. Slipping on a cheongsam to act as a cover-up, Katrina hurries into the living room and answers the phone, silently furious at how it's interrupting her leisure time.


"Yes? What is it?" she asks. "Okay, so? ...Uh-huh. Yes, of course. I'll... be there as soon as possible. Ciao!"


After a good five-minute exchange, Katrina eventually hangs up and stomps back outside, her breath over-saturated with expletives.


"Great. Just f****n' great!" she says. "Yo, uh, guys? I'm afraid we'll have to do this another time, 'cause somethin' just came up."


"No!" Priscilla's jaw drops open in mock surprise. "What, did that Mike Seymour guy come back and sabotage your businesses?"


Justine lets out a gasp at the mention of that name. Had Mark been around to hear it too, there would've been harsher consequences. Mike was a mentally unstable business tycoon whose family rivaled Mark's for generations. He was also responsible for murdering Mark's parents and attempting to screw him over countless times afterwards up until his permanent incarceration a couple of years back.


"Nope, last I checked, he's still in the slammer," Katrina responds. "And even if he does get out, I've eaten carbonara more dangerous than him. But what I was gonna say was that I've got meetings to attend in four different states, each one concernin' stuff like quarterly performance, staff changes and what have ya'. I hope y'all understand!"


"Oh no, it's fine. I was getting sick of breathing the same air as you anyway." Priscilla sneers, climbing out of the jacuzzi.


"I believe what she's trying to say is, do what you need to do. We understand," Justine chimes in, following suit.


"Fine, gang up on me," Priscilla mutters.


"As Ike would've said, family comes first, but that doesn't mean you completely ignore your job," Janice says.


"Good. Well, I'll be seein' ya'." Katrina waves her friends off, blissfully unaware that this won't be the last time her social life is interrupted.



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on July 1, 2022
Last Updated on July 1, 2022
Tags: wartime, family, women, war, slice of life, romance, humor, drama


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing