Chapter 15: In-Law Intervention

Chapter 15: In-Law Intervention

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

Roxanne finds solace in Trevor's family during his absence, and for once it seems like she has a reason to smile again.

"

Dear Roxanne,


God, you have no idea what I've been through out here. It's pretty much nothing but violence, death, and high-speed militaristic routines day after day. What I would give just to sleep in a soft bed for at least eight hours each night, with access to hot shower water and a woman to cuddle up next to... preferably you, of course.


I hope you're taking good care of yourself back at home, and nothing's gone too awry on your end. According to the general, at the rate this war is going, America is poised to win, and we'll all be back at home for Christmas! Please don't miss me too much, because I'll be back before you can say "I miss you, Trevor."


But that's all I have to say for now. Be good and don't do anything I wouldn't do. I love you more than anything in the world, and I'll be home soon!


Sincerely,

Trevor.




Reading that letter only serves to lift Roxanne's spirits even more than they did back at the meeting. It didn't initially occur to her that she could just have Trevor's family keep her company in his absence, and she feels so stupid to have only realized that now, especially since the family lives so close by now.


Trevor's family is of French descent, though they've been in America for over ten generations and have all but abandoned their previous culture. Many years ago, they used to be scattered all over the United States, though eventually they all moved to Brooklyn in order to have easier access to their pride and joy... only to have he and his wife move to Manhattan soon after. Roxanne doesn't interact with the family much whenever Trevor's not with her, and hell, they haven't even contacted each other once since the war began. She can't help but feel a little silly about this; after all, the Bordeaux family were some of the first people she interacted with after starting her new life with him, and they were some of the few who didn't outright vilify her for her past life as a prostitute, in spite of their generations of Catholicism.


The train ride from Manhattan to Brooklyn takes no more than fifty minutes, and the duplex where Trevor's family resides is within walking distance from one of the stations. Whenever the two parties meet up, they almost always do it here, as Roxanne and Trevor's place simply lacks enough space to hold them all. Upon arriving at one of the two apartments, Roxanne politely knocks on the door, which is quickly opened by an old woman with surprisingly minimal gray hair.


"Ah, Roxanne! What a surprise to see you here!" the woman, Trevor's mother, greets her with a warm hug.


"Same to you, Jeanine!" Roxanne replies as she's let in. "Just thought I'd stop by after all this time to catch up. It's been pretty lonely without Trevor around."


"And it's odd how you didn't come sooner. The door's always open, you know," Jeanine says.


Roxanne doesn't respond and continues into the living room, where the rest of the family is gathered. Peculiarly, they all wear thick glasses much like Trevor himself does. Rafael is the patriarch, sporting a full head of off-white hair and rarely seen without a toothpick dancing in his mouth. He happens to be a military veteran, but is not serving in World War III simply because he's too old. Margaret is Trevor's younger sister, who lives in the other half of the house; she too has his hazel eyes and dark brown hair, like everyone else, though hers is styled into a bouffant. And finally, there's Jacques, a quasi-elderly King Charles spaniel who's predominantly white, but not without several gray-flecked brown and black patches.


"Ey, if it ain't the girl of the hour!" Rafael leans back as he sees his daughter-in-law, craning his head back until his chin blends into his fat neck.


"Of the hour?" Margaret c***s an eyebrow.


"Well hey, we've been sitting here doing nothing all day, so cut me some slack." Rafael shrugs.


"Nice to see you all again, too." Roxanne nods, plopping into an armchair. "And don't tell me you're not excited to see me too, Jacques."


In response, Jacques' docked tail starts to wag as he leaps onto the chair and starts licking her face, occasionally letting out a weak bark of excitement. He then takes up the small space next to her and rolls over, accepting the belly-rub he just knows is coming his way.


"Haha, I thought so." Roxanne smiles gently.


"So anyway, uh, what brings you here?" Rafael asks.


"Oh, nothing. Just wanted some company seeing how Trevor's out of town and all my friends are busy with their own lives," Roxanne explains. "Maybe I should come here more often, at least until he comes home around Christmas."


"Hells yeah, you should," Margaret replies. "After all, Trevor's family is your family."


"Yep, and we can all miss him together!" Jeanine says, setting down an assorted French cheese platter and sitting with her husband.




With that, everyone digs into the appetizers as they chat about their lives and personal issues, also offering speculation about what Trevor might be going through overseas, somehow without the discussion becoming too somber. They do this until the sun starts to go down and a dinner of roasted goose, french onion soup, bouillabaisse, and macaroni au gratin ensues, with slices of authentic French bread to mop up any and all remaining liquids on everyone's plates. Following this is a dessert of almond croissants and chocolate ice cream, washed down with a few glasses of pino grigio per person.


Roxanne can't remember the last time she enjoyed herself this much. Given the long roller-coaster her life has been so far, she's admittedly spent an awful lot of that time brooding and missing people. But as of right now, something has awoken within Roxanne. The realization that she does not have to be miserable all the time, and that she will always have other people in her life to confide in if need be.


Even when it eventually becomes time to head back home, Roxanne still has a hard time feeling sad about it. Yes, the commute to this duplex could most likely rack up over time, but that's really the only downside to visiting Trevor's family so often. For once, it seems as though things are starting to look up for her.



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on July 14, 2022
Last Updated on July 14, 2022
Tags: wartime, family, women, war, slice of life, romance, humor, drama


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing