Chapter 19: Reconcilin' Rodriguez

Chapter 19: Reconcilin' Rodriguez

A Chapter by Cameron Lockhart
"

Tequila invites her brother and his girlfriend over to talk things out with her mother, in hopes of finally patching up the family drama.

"

"Good afternoon, everyone! In today's top story, protesters are gathering in Kicksburg, Montana to oppose the construction of a Walmart in the area. These protestors claim that putting that establishment there will take away from the town's charm, as ever since its founding, there has never been a single chain establishment in the area before," a newscaster reports. "Today's broadcast is brought to you by the J.P.L. Distillery, now producing its bourbon with 100% organic corn!"


Watching that broadcast are Tequila and Carmen, who have once again convened at the latter's house down in Phoenix and slumped on the living room couch, both munching on barros luco sandwiches. The tone between them is a bit more relaxed, seeing how the former has taken the latter's advice for once, finally choosing not to spite her after what feels like a lifetime.


"Only now? Well then what the hell was in it before?" Tequila asks with a raised eyebrow.


"Now do you see why I raised you the way I did?" Carmen sneers, not shy about trying to get a rise out of her daughter.


"Oh, hush," Tequila rolls her eyes.


"So anyway, what was it you wanted to tell me about?" Carmen continues.


"Oh, uh, well Felipe is coming over soon to tell you some good news," Tequila explains.


"Like finally ending this stupid phase he's going through?" Carmen asks bitterly.


"Er... something like that," Tequila replies. "But all I ask is that you hear him out on this one. I'm sick and tired of all this infighting among my own family."


"Which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't chosen to spite me at every turn." Carmen folds her arms.


"Mom, it's his life. You really expected both of us to follow in your exact footsteps without ever doing anything different? Heh, and you say you're all about free thought," Tequila grumbles.


A few more minutes of banter later, the doorbell rings. Tequila opens the front door and ushers her brother inside, alongside Cindy. One of the first things she notices is the engagement ring glistening on the latter's finger, bronze and crowned with a tiny chunk of black onyx. She puts on a small but warm smile at the sight of it, before quietly congratulating the couple.


"Well, well, well, look what the gamberro dragged in." Carmen sneers as the three enter the living room. "And what's this girlfriend's name, now?"


"I'm Cindy," Cindy politely greets her despite the tense atmosphere in the room.


"And I'm not sure 'girlfriend' is the right term to use at the moment," Felipe chimes in.


"Really now?" Carmen inquires, begrudgingly shaking Cindy's hand.


"That's right, Mom," Tequila replies. "Wanna tell her for me?"


"We're getting married," Felipe immediately says.


"¿Qué el infierno?" Carmen asks in shock.


"You heard me." Felipe puts an arm around his fiancé, the warmth practically visible in his lapis lazuli-colored eyes. "No more short-term relationships, and no more sleeping around. I'm gonna settle down, and we've agreed that we're gonna give you the grandkids you deserve."


"Well. I guess that's one advantage you have over your sister." Carmen rolls her eyes as her daughter puts on a scowl. "But still I must ask, why the sudden change of heart? I feel I have every right to be suspicious, seeing how you've insisted on spiting me at every turn."


"Mamá, it was never about spiting you," Felipe says, plopping onto the couch. His mother recoils and folds her arms, but otherwise has no reaction. "I just wanted to be free and live my own life without constantly worrying about your lofty standards and traditions. Sure, I'll concede that I may have gotten a little carried away, but it's not like I don't love you or anything like that."


"I think Felipe speaks for both of us here," Tequila interjects, sitting on the other side of their mother. "I know you always say 'if it's not Chilean, it's crap,' but really, that's not true at all."


"Yes it is! Your abuelita herself told me-" Carmen counters.


"Yeah, but nobody ever said you had to be so set in your ways that you never branch out and try new things," Felipe gently cuts her off. "Family traditions are supposed to evolve over time, not remain stagnant for countless generations. Not everyone who descends from you has to be this ultraconservative traditionalist who lives off nothing but Chilean food."


"Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the traditions you were raised on were different from how they previously were," Tequila adds.


"I suppose you have a point there..." Carmen's voice trails off.


"Look, I'm sorry for spiting you, but there was nothing personal behind it. As much as I value my independence and freedom to become my own hombre, I've turned over a new leaf, and I'm gonna make these permanent life changes in order to make you proud," Felipe says.


"And does that include shutting down that wretched shop of yours?" Carmen continues.


"Hey now, he said he'd change some things, not everything," Tequila says.


"Besides, what's so bad about helping other people improve their relationships?" Felipe asks.


"Fine, fine, I acquiesce. I won't argue any longer. Just so long as you agree to all your other promises," Carmen requests.


"You have my word." Felipe smiles.


"Oh, alright. You got my blessing. Now bring it in." Carmen wraps both her children up in a hug. "No hard feelings?"


"No hard feelings," Felipe and Tequila reply in unison.


Cindy can't help but smile as well as she watches the embrace before her, silently glad that her impending marriage to Felipe isn't raising as much concern as she initially feared, and also pleased to see the Rodriguez family acting as a single unit once more after what feels like several centuries.


"So uh, now that that's settled, are you willing to cook up another authentic wedding feast?" Felipe asks.


"Is that a trick question, or what?" Carmen's smile widens.


"I'd be glad to pitch in this time, and I'll have Jasper help too once he gets back," Tequila adds. "Oh, and Cindy?"


"Yes?" Cindy replies.


"Welcome to the family, young lady!" Carmen stands up and envelops her in a tight embrace.



© 2022 Cameron Lockhart


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on July 18, 2022
Last Updated on July 18, 2022
Tags: wartime, family, women, war, slice of life, romance, humor, drama


Author

Cameron Lockhart
Cameron Lockhart

Charleston, SC



About
I've loved writing ever since I could properly hold a pencil, and I currently strive to become a published author someday. In 2021, I earned a BA in Creative Writing; I primarily focused on prose and .. more..

Writing