Chapter Two:  Adventure

Chapter Two: Adventure

A Chapter by Daniella Raven
"

Moving can be an adventure too.

"

There is nothing better than a little adventure. Even moving from one town to a brand new one can count as one. You are sitting in a velvet seat on a fast moving train, your suitcase �" holding some of your most important possessions �" just above your head in the shelf of the booth. Your shoulder is leaning against the windowsill, and your eyes are looking outside at unfamiliar surroundings. The town you're about to enter is foreign, yet you're the alien.


At least, that's my take on the situation. To be honest, as I'm looking around the train car, the people, most older than me, are blank-faced. Old men mindlessly looking at a newspaper without a hint of interest in what they're reading, and women struggling to keep their loud and antsy children under control. I feel like those antsy children, too. I want off this train as soon as possible, to see the new town I'm going into. From old friends I'm now leaving behind, I heard that the town, Inciens, is like the capital of the world, being even the headquarters of the ruler and his Imperium Knights. Guess my dad and I lucked out, being able to move to such a fancy place. `


Speaking of my dad, I have this odd sensation that he's giving me that look again. Sure enough, when I look in his direction, his stony gaze is looking sternly at me with a grave look on his face.


In response, I can only smile, tilting my head in confusion. "What I do?" I ask casually, trying to keep the atmosphere light.


His expression only darkens, and he tips his brown hat with a gruff, deep sigh. "What did your friends tell you about Inciens, Alan?"


I shrug, turning back to the window's scenery. "Well, most of them said that it's a pretty rich place. A lot of money and exports. Stuff like that. It's where Aeron, the ruler is, along with his knights, right?" I replied.


My dad nods slowly, but his expression doesn't seem to be getting any better. He crosses his arms, shaking his head side to side. "Did they happen to tell you how that place works? The laws there? How outsiders are treated? It can be as rich and prosperous as it wants to be, but the bottom line is that Inciens isn't for those weak of heart or just looking for an adventure," he stated darkly. He pulls out a silver locket, opening it to a picture of a woman with auburn hair and freckled skin, friendly grey eyes laughing just like the wide smile she shows. Her smile contrasts my dad's solemn look as he pans back at me. There's a mutual silence between us, and my smile spots to match the look on his face. Evenutally, Dad removes his hat to run a hand through his brown hair. "What I'm trying to say, Alan, is that this town isn't easy to live in. It looks good, but overall, it's a test tube of 'the ruler's' influence. The people only listen to live. It's indirectly oppressive. That's how it should be."


The talk is discouraging, but I don't let it affect me. Giving a cheerful smile, I nod. "I think I'll be fine. It's not like they gain much from intimidating a kid, anyways," I laugh, dismissing the thought.


Dad gives no response, and looks outside. Just slightly, I see his expression change, and I go o look outside, but his firm grip lands on my shoulder as he says: "Don't look outside."


I open my mouth to ask why, but walking towards our booth is the conductor, dressed in a stiff-looking red uniform. "Tickets," he says simply, holding his white gloved hand out expectantly. My dad hands him our tickets silently, barely acknowledging his presence. 


Observing the tickets, the conductor gives a short laugh. "Inciens? What business do you have there?" he asks.


"I'm being transferred is all," my dad says. He notices the conductor staring suspiciously, and raises an eyebrow. "Is something wrong with my explanation?"


"Nothing. If you don't mind, I must inspect your luggage," the conductor says straightforwardly, looking from Dad to me. "You too, boy."


"They already did that before we boarded, though," I pointed out, keeping my smile. "There's no reason to�""


"Luggage, please," the conductor insists.


The sense in inspecting luggage twice escapes me, but I stand with a loud sigh, pulling our suitcases out and set them beside me for the conductor to take. Without a word, he picks the luggage up and walks away from us. I notice that he doesn't stop at any other booths, he just walks straight out of our car.


Leaning in over to my dad, I whisper: "How long will that take?"


"Until we reach our destination. Roughly an hour," he replied plainly.


"What, because we're going to a big important place? It's not like we're terrorists or anything," I say sarcastically.


I feel a sharp pain in my knee, the book in my father's possession falling to the floor as I wince more in surprise than pain. The look on my dad's face keeps my mouth shut, and I start whistling to myself, looking around the cart once more.


Still the same plain faces, nothing has changed in that short amount of time. It really was as if someone painted a picture, and I somehow ended up stuck in it.


In other words this whole thing seemed pretty fake. Seeing as I can't fix that, though, I guess I'll just let it slide and chill out a bit longer…



© 2012 Daniella Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on June 8, 2012
Last Updated on June 8, 2012


Author

Daniella Raven
Daniella Raven

Ashford, United Kingdom



About
Ask. more..

Writing
Crash Crash

A Story by Daniella Raven