Chapter Four:  Seclusion

Chapter Four: Seclusion

A Chapter by Daniella Raven
"

Alone and lonely are not interchangeable adjectives.

"

In a room full of dusty old books, one may feel nothing short of boredom.


I am not that one.


The palace library is a sanctuary. I'm completely at ease in this room. In the dim light, particles of dust float where rays of light creep through curtained windows. The far back has a secluded oak table, providing only four cushioned seats. Atop the table is gold lamp, and a mountain of books of every genre imaginable. The only noise I hear is that of me turning a page in a book.


Just a few minutes ago, though, I heard something else. Rowdy bunches of knights taking a leisurely break and watching two brothers go at it with one another during training. 


The distinct sound of metal grating against each other harshly, but not violently, had been distracting me for a good twenty minutes. I am not one for cases of violence, mild or otherwise. Also, what in the world were those two thinking? A twenty minute training session to that extent? In this heat? One day they'll drop from dehydration far sooner than from a wound in war. This is exactly why I have a canteen strapped to my waist. For their health. Not mine.


Even now, I can hear someone's footsteps. Rarely do I speak to the knights here, aside from those brothers of mine and the other two captains.


It's no use to continue reading, so I simply close the book and wait, head resting in my palm as someone's silhouette appears from beside the bookshelves just ahead of me.


As usual, the adolescent is drenched in sweat, and I am unable to decipher if his hair is either dirty brown, or just full of dirt.


Sylar gives me a silent wave, yawning and sitting exhaustively in the chair across from me. He's slumped against the back, and he gives a dramatic sigh.


"Raine… be the best sister in the world and let me have some water, 'kay? You have no idea how much I'll owe you…"


I can't help but smirk at the apathetic tone in his voice. "But doesn't one of the captains provide you some water after those matches?" I ask, tilting my head.


Sylar waves his hand dismissively. "Deludo doesn't get involved in that, and Kasper didn't have any this time. He told me�""


"Don't you think you should be referring them as 'Captain' for the sake of tradition?"


"For the sake of bodily tradition, I would like to stay hydrated."


He really is different from that calm-minded façade he tries to put on in front of others. It's a shame, really. His sense of humour tends to be of high quality.


I nod to his request, handing him the canteen. In a flash, he's already guzzling the water down like a parched fish thrown back into water. Absolutely no water discipline. There's a collective silence between his gulps and my silent astonishment that anyone could ever need so much water.


"You wouldn't last in the desert, Sylar."


He sets the canteen down, exhaling with relief. "I'd sooner impale myself in the neck before ever going into a desert. Those things are Hell on Earth and you know it," he replies casually.


"To be honest, it sounded like the Devil was punishing the innocent just a few minutes ago. You and Serren really take training too far," I reply.


Sylar doesn't reply, only drinking more water and giving a shrug. Glancing down, the only thing he's bothered to remove is lightweight armour and dirt-covered boots. Yet, still attached to his waist is a sheath holding a sword. I can't complain, though, nor can I ridicule him. He is a knight, a bit rough around the edges, but never has there been a reason for me to doubt my own brother's competence.


His careful hazel eyes seem to catch my thoughts.


"I was too tired to even think about�""


"I don't really care. Just make sure that Eve Dice's captain doesn't catch you with that thing," I cut in.


"I'll be sure to do so. But…" he trails off, looking down at the floor with a hefty sigh.


"What is it?"


"Look. I know you don't care for this sort of news, or even agree with it�""


"What is it? Stop stalling, Sylar."


"…"


Obviously it's important, otherwise he wouldn't be hesitating. And I only know of a few things that the knights care to bother with that I disagree with.


"So he's out on another extermination mission already, huh?" I sigh.


Sylar shakes his head, straightening up from his seat. "More like… a confiscation of their supplies… it's a raid, Raine."



© 2012 Daniella Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on June 8, 2012
Last Updated on June 8, 2012


Author

Daniella Raven
Daniella Raven

Ashford, United Kingdom



About
Ask. more..

Writing
Crash Crash

A Story by Daniella Raven