Chapter Seven:  Snark

Chapter Seven: Snark

A Chapter by Daniella Raven
"

A cool facade is well and done. But all calm and no flay makes any man a dangerous man.

"

The look in Raine's eyes is enough to tell me that I've said enough.


There wouldn't be anything to say if it weren't for this unneeded raiding drama that 


Deludo's trying to pull. What would we need any extra supplies? The last time I saw a poor person scourging around for food or on the verge of dying, a monkey was leading this godforsaken capital.


Just so you know, that's never happened. Ever.


So when seeing the disgust crawl from Raine's very being, I can't help but take it as my fault. Here I am, the younger brother of the most elite division's captain, and I can't do anything to try and resolve anything. I can't even muster the nerve to apologise or assure her that it won't go out of hand, because I know it will. So it's like bombarding her with plastic words, something that I'll leave to politicians.


She takes a deep breath, staring down at the floor and shaking her head. I hear a single laugh, bitter as can be before she stares at me again.


"So what town is it?"


"Naisha. Here I always assumed we were actually fairly 'cool' with them," I reply, leaning back in the chair.


"Never heard of that town, so I guess that's partially correct," she notes. She brushes a hand through dark brown hair, her smile faltering into a sarcastic bit of emotion. "I find it amazing, how, with such a diplomatic matter, that tyrant is the first one picked. 


Why is it that Serren and you aren't on this mission? It would go so much more smoothly, I wouldn't be wrecking my brain and sending my bits of pity to that-"


My eyes narrow, and I cross my arms at her rant. She should know better than this. "Serren refuses to do anything like that. If he's seeing Elves, it's for a treaty of some sort. Not to rob them of already limited supplies, only -"


"That still doesn't mean it wouldn't be as worrisome as…"


"As what? Knowing they're dying out from extermination or famine? It's a done deal, Raine. There isn't much even Serren can do."


This is falling into an argument way too fast. I don't want to sound like Elves are in a growing pit of Hell, but it's how everyone makes it seem. Even if I wanted to do something, I don't have the experience or the right to do something like that. Right now, I'm mindlessly following orders from someone leading this place.


Raine on the other hand, is losing her composure. I know she is. If it's the last straw for her, then maybe it's the last straw for me too…


We're stuck in a collective silence, and seeing her expression isn't helping much. I'd much rather be getting my butt handed to me by Serren. At least I know he'd be able to do something instead of reminding me of how expendable I am in times of helping someone…


Actually scratch that. A spider is a better hero than I am. And those monsters are universally hated.


Eventually, this silence is too much for me to acknowledge, so I force myself to stand up, giving her a wave. "Later, then."


I'm already out the door without hearing a single response from her. It pretty much kinda sorta sucks.


This would really be a great time to speak to Serren. He's not big on the whole Elf thing, but that doesn't mean he's anti on it either. I wouldn't say on the fence either, but God I'm rambling and all you need to know is that he at least knows that raiding or exterminating them is not the way to handle a temper tantrum against a single race.


Then again, getting advice is always easier when you actually know where said brother is, and not indirectly forcing you to play a frustrating game of hide n' seek.


But that's totally beside the point.


Walking down these halls, I can tell that we're overcompensating for something. Wild guess here, but I'm sure that it's called "modesty". There's an extreme lack of guards when really, there should be some.


So aimlessly walking down halls leave a lot of room for inner retrospection, something that gets pretty tiring for even me, and I've got a lot to say about a lot of things. I'm just trying my best to keep my eyes open for Serren, but even doing that, I run into someone completely opposite of who I was hoping for.


A mop of orange hair clad in a dark brown uniform, and a pasted on smile curving that captain's face.


Kasper, the third division's captain, gives a wave as he notices me walk around the corner, and I'm stuck.


"Well, so did you get some water? You looked emancipated the last time I spoke to you, not twenty minutes ago. You're the picture of health now."


Speaking to this guy is the worst. Not because he has a pseudo-polite way of speaking, I'm used to that. It's just…


Those pale blue eyes of his are constantly watching you, directly staring in your eyes, and there's never a speck of emotion. It's not threatening, it's just… it's unnatural. I guess that's why his division is in charge of collecting information. Those aren't the eyes of someone you want to lie to.


I can only nod, giving a blank response. "That's pretty exaggerated, but I am feeling better. Thanks."


Kasper laughs, and gives a shrug. "Ah, I see, so your sister really way there? She's so fickle, so I wasn't sure you'd be able to catch her before she went off. You two certainly are close. However, I do suppose that the whole trio of siblings are a close set, right?"


That split second where mutiny sounds perfectly acceptable when someone's blatantly insulting your own sister.


I don't see how this guy and Serren are close friends. If they aren't busy with their own duties, they're inseparable. It's unsettling, and honestly, I don't think Raine is keen on it either. Unfortunately, I can't deny that Kasper is unbelievably competent. He keeps the Elves under his thumb more than Deludo does. He makes sure they're not conspiring against us, he's their enemy hiding in the skin of their own allies.


"Anyways," Kasper goes on, "you're looking for Serren, right? If I'm correct, he went back to the dining hall. While you die of thirst, he dies of starvation. It's like you two have connected mindsets. Then again, you might not want to train -"


"No disrespect, Captain, but my brother knows what he's doing. I'm just doing my part and trying to pull my own weight."


His smile falters for a millisecond. "Yes, but that's a lot of weight, both physical and mentally. Try not to push yourself, alright? Who knows, you may be the successor to his place."


I'd rather not be. There's no way Serren would ever step down as Captain unless he couldn't help it. The thought of that happening is a collection of devastation and shock in my mind. I can't accept it.


Kasper decides that patting my head is the best idea in the whole world, giving a dismissive laugh and walking away. "My regards to Serren. Also, I may be out on a job tomorrow, so don't wait up for me to watch training sessions."


As if I would. Those aren't meant to be a circus attraction in the first place.


I'm just so glad that the dining room is literally across from this hallway. The door's wide open, and Serren is actually just chugging down some water himself.


Just to humour common courtesy, I knock on the doorway.


"Is this a private lovemaking session between you and water or am I allowed in?"


He gives a gruff laugh, nodding as a signal that I am indeed welcome.


"What is it? And how are you not forming bruises?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.


I shrug with a yawn. "Magic. Anyways, about Deludo's…" I can't even finish a simple setence, this'll go well.


Serren raises an eyebrow, his usual careful look on his face. "I know you don't agree with it, and I don't either, but I can't do anything about it. Our division wasn't assigned to do anything about it, and interrupting Deludo will only make things worse, Sylar," he says.


"Yeah, but… Raine's worried it'll get out of hand, and I'm not too crazy about the idea either…"


I see a spark go through Serren's gaze, and he tilts his head before sighing. "I'm not gonna tell you how to handle it, Serren. You need to be able to deem what should be changed on your own. Take it into your own hands."


Easier said than done.


"If it makes you any better, I'll go down to meet Deludo and ask how it went down before he makes his way back, alright?"


I blink, shaking my head. "That's no necessary. I'm just…"


"Second guessing the intents of a Captain. You're growing up, it's only natural."


"Growing up? Serren, I'm not you, I can't be expected to handle something like this so damn casually."


"Then don't take it casually. If you were me, we'd be in trouble. Anyways, I'll speak to Deludo about it. Dunno how it'll go, but I'll try something."


Speaking to that guy is like eating sawdust.



My thoughts are all over the place.


Goddammit Raine, you're lucky to have such a considerate brother like me.


"Serren."


He looks at me as he walks past. "Yeah?"


"Lemme come."



© 2012 Daniella Raven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
Added on June 10, 2012
Last Updated on June 10, 2012


Author

Daniella Raven
Daniella Raven

Ashford, United Kingdom



About
Ask. more..

Writing
Crash Crash

A Story by Daniella Raven