December's Song

December's Song

A Story by Cherrie Palmer
"

morning

"
Four-thirty comes early in the morning, but I cannot pass up these silent moments of morning. All the curtains are opened so I can take in the fading stars of night and witness the birth of a new day.  A fresh covering of frost outlines the railing to my deck. It is a crisp contrast to the night and will glisten in a short time with daybreak. My white rose bush is void of blooms, but her tender foliage is jeweled brightly in thick green leaves. So many of my songbirds are silent in winter. They are much to busy eating to sing.
December's song is that of the giant redheaded woodpecker. As the mornings blush blooms to a white glow, he begins his song.  Not his exotic call I hear so often at mid-day.  This morning he calls till his mate joins him. He descends his branch and joins her. She has landed on Autumn's castaway leaves.  For a short moment, their song rings out. 
Despite the cold, I have my kitchen window open, giving me a front row seat to the duet. The scent of a hickory log smoldering nearby greets me. It is a pleasant aroma that blends nicely with the ham in my skillet.  Once the morning greeting is complete, each bird takes to a tree, and the percussions begin. First, the sound is in unison. Then a counter beat begins. A Hermit Thrush whistles at the pair.  They ignore him as do I, breakfast is cooked and the morning serenade is over. The nutty aroma of my coffee greets me, and I head to my keyboard to capture the moment.

© 2018 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Cherrie I do believe you are a lover of nature as I am. I also like to view the dark skies before dawn breaks and listen to the dawn chorus. You have given me a glimpse into your living and I enjoyed it very much. The aroma from the coffee smells good too. Lovely write.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Well hang on and I'll pour ya a cup.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Now that sounds good. Milk no sugar :)
Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Well let me top off your cup:)



Reviews

Cherrie I do believe you are a lover of nature as I am. I also like to view the dark skies before dawn breaks and listen to the dawn chorus. You have given me a glimpse into your living and I enjoyed it very much. The aroma from the coffee smells good too. Lovely write.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Well hang on and I'll pour ya a cup.
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Now that sounds good. Milk no sugar :)
Cherrie Palmer

1 Year Ago

Well let me top off your cup:)
WOW! Cherrie.
You wrote some excellent description here.
I can almost smell chimney smoke in the distance.
I love how you have to, in spite of the cold, open a window and let the nightly ambience in.
This short made me want to do the same, just take it all in.

Posted 5 Years Ago


You couldn't ask for more Cherrie and I'm glad you headed for the keyboard. Nature can be a wonderful thing in it's benign moments and you've done a great job in capturing it's beauty. i should really spend more of my writing efforts on this gentle kind of writing.
Regards,
Alan


Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Alan
Really I love writing about nature. I find rejuvenating.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
And capture the moment you did beautifully. You are one gifted lady.
Hope you have had, are having a great festive break.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

We did, it was a quiet Christmas. Most of the kids had their own thing going this year, so we did ou.. read more
Too bad the whole world can't adopt your sublime perspective Cherrie. A wise moment capture indeed. Have a wonderful holiday.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Merry Christmas, I hope you had a wonderful day
and thank you.
Nice poem, once the morning greetings is complete, each birds takes to a tree, and the percussion begins... I like that

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Crosby and once again let me wish you a Merry Christmas.
You create the perfect morning memory for us all to share... the scents.. the sights... the pure delight of December unfolding in its winter warmth. Beautiful...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you,I was hoping it translated that way
Very beautiful poem, I can almost see the pretty scenery when I close my eyes!

Although I prefer the city life over a country life, though.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Jung Lee

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

841 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 24, 2018
Last Updated on December 24, 2018
Tags: birds_morning

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..