Dinner and A Song

Dinner and A Song

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

2 cubs of black, 1 of brown and the runt a motley blend

Remind Ella and Jack they’ll never be alone again.


 

Autumn came to the Canyon of the Wolf, and the setting sun let shadows drape across its secret dwellings. Ella and Jack slept in their lofty den with four tiny blind pups grunting around searching for dinner. She fussed over each little pup, two black, one brown and a motley marked male. However, tonight she and Jack would hunt, hunger won out over brooding. 



The pups now fed were once again all sleeping. Ella rose and stretched Jack playfully nippit at her ear. Her nip did not seem to be as playful. Momma is hungry and ready to eat. The two had become a sound hunting unit and moved as one. Step for step they descended the rocky ledge crossed over the green line that marked the canyon’s edge, and walked into the thick trees to find a sleeping deer.



The last bit of red was drained from the sky, and the warbler’s song began. Jack and Ella started the routine of scissoring the trees. A black shadow cut left, and a slightly smaller shadow cut right, growling from time to time. They snapped twigs and walked through dried leaves, hoping to spook a deer. It didn’t take long for this to work.

 

From behind a gooseberry bush, a wild-eyed doe sprang up. Adrenaline had her searching the dark. She nervously twitched her hind leg. Trying to decide which way to break. Flaring nostrils puffed hot air, she posted her tail then ran. 



A large oak stood near her, with ease she shifted left, her body contorted between two pines leaping over a deep gap. Her four fast feet had her working toward open ground. She could out run them in the open. Her long lean neck contoured the shaded limbs and stumps.



Jack took the lead, he quickly brought her down. Pound for pound he and the doe weighed the same. The kill happened fast, and the two ate their fill. Soon a banter of howls filled the night, and King and Queen of the canyon returned home.




© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello dear Cherrie. The hunt. The main part of the life of the beast of the forest. I liked how you described the kill. Thank you dear, friend for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie... you are a Gifted Author. I was on Pine Needles (pins and needles) as you described the Chase through the Woods. I love the pretty deer and does, but we must have food... It is Survival.
The Wise Owl I am certain kept golden eyes on all that happened. truly, Pat

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this chapter. I don't know that I've improved it but I just made some .. read more
This little snippet of a story is so fulsome, it has all the elements needed to draw the reader on with suspense. Love the way the hunt started out slow & then became very dynamic suddenly. To convey such a strong sense of pacing like you do is admirable! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Margie. I wanted it to build but I didn't want the kill to vivid so I tried to scale it d.. read more
You have a great skills of writing story. Well managed, smooth, action flow from line to line with the actual concepts....... wow!!!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


HB Rita

5 Years Ago

oh yea. Grandmas are the worship of a grandchild for many culture and society. Where i was raised, G.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I'm all kisses and wooden spoon spank'ns :)served with warm cookies.
HB Rita

5 Years Ago

ha ha enjoying
' The last bit of red was drained from the sky, and the warbler’s song began. Jack and Ella started the routine of scissoring the trees. A black shadow cut left and a slightly smaller shadow cut right, growling from time to time. They snapped twigs .. .. '

Whilst your writing is finely measured, skills perfected.. you're able to create an almost out this world atmosphere like few others in the cafe by somehow getting under the skin or what- or whoever, Cherrie.
Will read back and future... for sure.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I've been writing this with my granddaughter and draggin her through my routine of reading and writi.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

How to encour age a ch ild to love words, if done as I'm sure you do - gently! It's an in t ri.. read more
Smooth writing. Stories involving wildlife, always seem to enliven the landscape... unlike stories about humans... strange that. Canyon of the Wolf, I like it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you, Peyton loves wolfs and I enjoy writing about nature. So, it was a good pick for us.
read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1061 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2019
Last Updated on April 22, 2019


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


DEJA VU DEJA VU

A Story by alanwgraham