Two is Better Than One

Two is Better Than One

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

Ella tore a small piece away then took her part of the kill to a nearby cedar. Jack picked up the remaining portion and moved in her direction. He was careful not to get to close and wondered where she had come from. The day drug by they continued to walk in the same direction but not together.

Four does, and a buck smoked up the hollow skirting between them, nearly running them over. Confused by this Ella looked in the direction they came from. She caught a hint of that familiar smell. Her fur stood straight, as ears slicked back. She spun around to face the direction of the scent. Jack mirrored her actions. He wasn’t sure what was about to happen but seeing Ella all business he knew it must be bad.

The loud thunder of snapping branches echoed four weighted paws tremored the ground under Jack’s feet. Telling him something large approached. A deep low growl hummed in Ella’s throat. Jack finally caught the smell of bear in the breeze. Grizzly bear to be exact.

A thundering charge was just over the horizon. There raced Brutus descending the clearing at a full gallop. The bear had been chasing her for days. She would run no longer. Ella began running toward the brut and Jack followed. Adrenaline kicked in, as apex predator’s raced into battle.

Jack ran just a little faster and reached the bear first. His feet were lightning fast. He nipped at the bear biting his hind leg then his front paw. Jack drew first blood enraging the brut. Ella leaped through the air and landed on the bears back. Her teeth latched on to the large hump between his shoulders, and his roar ripped through the forest. A loud ‘swish,’ rang out as birds took to flight. Violently he shook to free himself of this nuisance, but Ella hung on. Brutus slapped Jack into a tree with an ease. Then he flopped down pinning Ella to the ground.
With one move he had her by the head. Until Jack slashed the bear's face, injuring his left eye. Brutus let go. The two wolfs stood shoulder to shoulder, with lips curled back to expose their incisors they stood as one.

With his new injury, Brutus lost interest in fighting and turned around to go home and nurse his wound. The one-eyed bear has become a legend in these woods and cuts a wide path around those two.



© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful story in the chapter. The bear was wise to escape. You know dear Cherrie. I love the tale of nature. A very entertaining story my dear friend.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you. Peyton and I had fun creating this story. She was the star of her English class
.. read more
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a rewrite of the last chapter? And now it seems over and I want more! Peyton should be reading Jack London by now. See if she can channel some. Still writing?

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

This is tragic. :) I'm on the hunt for the chapter.
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Tragedy averted chapter found..
Thank you for the heads-up
For your granddaughter 100

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

She loves the reviews. She thinks we are big stars. Hehehe, it's so cute.
HB Rita

5 Years Ago

I can see her face with sparkles 😁❤️
Great ending with great line..........The one-eyed bear is a legend. Every actions in this part was well managed and with dramatic sequences. 'The day drug by they continued to walk in the same direction but not together'________ indicates the 'Attraction' that had just begun from JACK side. 'Until Jack slashed the bears, face injuring his left eye. Brutus let go and the two wolfs stood shoulder to shoulder'______ LOVE STORY is going to begin..yhahooooooo!!!
I just love it. Is it the last part? Or your granddaughter has more to think? 100 rating for her imaginations and your word/descriptions/action......

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Thank you Rita, I'm not sure how many more characters she will want to do, each new adventure is not.. read more
HB Rita

5 Years Ago

Perfect grand daughrt ha ha Cherrie
Exciting or what... keep em guessing right through till the end.. and then leave us both sweating and gagging for more....Bring it on why don't ya.............. N :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

:) We will:)
Neville

5 Years Ago

............. N :)
Very dynamic scene! I love the way you use short lines without embellishment to further the action quickly. There was a constant feeling of not knowing how this would turn out, building suspense & curiosity & empathy. I love the ending, which makes me want to use that kind of motif for a story someday . . . the one-eyed bear legend . . . conjures up so many ideas! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I know, Burtus really needs his own story.
Was waiting to devour this piece much like Ella. This the ending or does your granddaughter have more in store pretty brave stuff this story is made of thank you girls

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I made her slow down her power points and asked what might happen in this moment. Yes I think there.. read more
It was a hard sale to convince Peyton to slow down her story. She has a list of events she wants to happen.
But I think we did alright even though we did not cover new ground.
I must confess she is tired of looking up words for better choices.
But that two is part of the process. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2019
Last Updated on March 27, 2022


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..