The Storm Eater

The Storm Eater

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

still working

"

Across the cove, twinkling specks of light danced upon black water. A sliver of the moon peered over a wall cloud. On the Southwest horizon, the Sun surrendered to the sea as the waves covered all traces of the day.  The rhythmic sound of the surf spilled upon the sand. While a faint promise of rain could be heard in a low rumble.


A large patch of blue algae rolled in with the tide, mesmerizing Celest with its motion. It fanned open with each cresting wave puddling back together with each nadir. Finally, the bed of seaweed tumbled upon the beach, and with darkness now complete, the large mass took form and rose, standing on four legs. The mighty beast juddered, spraying the air with droplets of water. Each quill whistling with the motion until elegant flowing wings gracefully tucked under a long and lean dragon. Before sitting on hind legs, he gave an impressive body shake. His scales rubbed together and sounded like an army coming to attention.


Celest stepped back from the edge of the cliff. Flooded with fright, she withdrew into the darkness. The teeth of Blue the bear looked dull and minuscule next to those of Milfred the Storm Eater. She felt a tinge of guilt as she cowered away from his view.  All of the stories that I had told her dissolved once she saw him up-close.


The briny smell of seaweed filled her nostrils, mixed with something else. The smell of rust burned her nose and lungs. The thick sulfate braced the air. She tried to stifle a sneeze, but trembling hands were no help, and at the sound of it, the creature stood at attention. With a cat-like leap, the dragon perched on the side of the cliff to get a closer look at Celest. Wahya charged him, nipping at his nose. Milfred let out a breath of air, knocking them both down. His weighted appearance no longer bound him to the crag. With the ease of flight, he took to the sky. Neither of them moved as they watched him. All her fears faded seeing him maneuver the heavens. 


Soon, his coloring mirrored the night. Black surfed on black. He darted into the orange-colored axis, disbursing the densely packed cloud. Once he was entirely out of sight the long cloud imploded growing smaller.  A down draft caused a low hanging scud to fall from its corner and what appeared to be a funnel turned out to be Milfred. Moments before the billowing cloud had dominated the vista but with deeds not seen by mortals below the angry cloud was now disarmed and floated away. This entire event forced Celest to question how many times had a low hanging funnel been a sea dragon? 



© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved the story dear Cherrie. You had life, nature and the description. Made the story come alive for me. Thank you for sharing the amazing story. Good morning from Michigan.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I owe the kids another chapter but life has been to hectic. Maybe this weekend.
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

I look forward to reader dear Cherrie. Have some fun and stay safe.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 19, 2021
Last Updated on May 3, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Oakland, AR



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. I live near the White River, and love trout fishing. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: Obsession Starts.. more..

Writing