Chapter Three: The Life We Were Given

Chapter Three: The Life We Were Given

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

my brother's keeper

"


"Even now after all the living the two of us have done, I smile when I remember Bills constant courage."


 


"Hey. Let’s keep the level of crap to a minimum" said Bill with a half-hearted evil eye. 


 


"No matter how many times I think of that day - I hear Bill’s voice calling for me.”


 


"Ok that's it I'm telling the story," Bill said:


 


 "July 8th a date I will never forget I was nine years old and Howard, seven. My only chores that summer was feeding the family dog and burning the trash. We had a routine Mother and I. One bag, one match. However on July the 8th one match would not due. Still hoarding a bag of Black Cats and sparklers a plan was formed. A simple thing really a few twigs and some dried hay.


 


Now the question of where to set this fire. Somewhere so Momma can’t see it from the house. The mouth of the barn a good choice. Howard covered in Billy the Kid garb, was running and hiding behind rocks all the way there. I set off a few Black Cats and lit two sparkers for Howard. Off he went running and hiding first here and then there. I set off a few more Black Cats and went to the fire pit to burn the trash. Looking back that is where I should have built that little fire. A small shift in the wind keeps my secret in the barn. The smoke settled in there for no one to see. I was feeling quit clever. Till crackling and a low hiss made me stand up to look over the small hill that separated the fire pit from the barn.


 


"Howie!" I cried. My gut within that very breath turned to lead. Fire was rolling out of the loft. I had only been away for 5 minutes tops. I stepped out to run to Mother, and turned in a flash to run back to where I had seen Howard playing. I’ve killed him, I cried. Sobbing for a second or maybe two as I topped the hill. The entrance to our childhood playground was black from soot whirling with smoke and flames. The heat moved me back and I looked at every tree and rock hoping to see him there. As I fanned the area a sparkle from the depths of the barn caught my eye. In the mist of the fire I saw my old Billy the Kid silver hat rim.


 


No words entered my mind, no plan, no thoughts. I just took to running straight into the barn. Thank the Lord, I ran straight to Howard. Who was lying on the ground froze in fear. He looked right at me. Blaming me I felt. I reached down to grab him and the brads on his vest set my hands to burning. I did not turn loose of my bubba, I didn’t let go even after I pulled him free of the barn and was swept up into my mother’s waiting arms. For a month I wore bandages on my hands and for a month we slept in the same bed. Both worrying over the other and both thankful for the life we were given."




© 2016 Cherrie Palmer


Author's Note

Cherrie Palmer
any comments are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now here's the change, is this first person? I don't have a problem with the switch of pov, the setting of the story allows it, but the abruptness does throw the reader for a second. It seems the narration of the story in the last chapter was shifting and now in this one has become first person. Daring if handled properly. Think of transitions here.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Now here's the change, is this first person? I don't have a problem with the switch of pov, the setting of the story allows it, but the abruptness does throw the reader for a second. It seems the narration of the story in the last chapter was shifting and now in this one has become first person. Daring if handled properly. Think of transitions here.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 15, 2009
Last Updated on May 13, 2016
Previous Versions


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing