The Plot     Chapter 13

The Plot Chapter 13

A Chapter by Chris Yip
"

The satanic plot

"

 Chapter 13

The Plot

That night Adam had trouble sleeping. He had taken extra dosage of his usual medication but it didn’t work. It had been a bad day at work. First there was the encounter with Fritz, then the nasty note and then there were the usual jokes people made of him. Each time he heard laughter in the office he felt it was about him.

He didn’t have much of an appetite during lunch hour so much so that he didn’t finish eating the ‘Four n Twenty’ meat pie he had bought. To add to his misery Daniel seemed a little cold towards him after lunch. Adam was getting paranoid. He felt depressed and tired too. He didn’t get much work done that day. It was hard for him to concentrate on anything let alone his writing.

 

He left the office early and drove around Melbourne city and the suburbs for hours. He finally ended up in Whitehorse Road and had a Chinese meal at a small “Eat all you can for $22.90” Chinese restaurant. The Mongolian BBQ didn’t taste that good but by then he was hungry and he had extra helpings. After overeating and with three glasses of coca-cola in his belly he felt sleepy and left the restaurant.


He got home a little after 10.00 pm that night. He had a headache from all the brooding he had done that day. He managed to have a shower but didn’t brush his teeth that night.  Adam got into bed and fell asleep soon afterwards. The lights in his flat were brightly shining as usual.


The voices awoke him at about 2.00 am, in whispers at first. Then they began to get louder. He tried his best to ignore them but they seemed to be almost audible to him that night. He rolled over and over in bed but it was no use. He covered his head with his pillow and started praying. It was frightening. He finally drifted off into sleep but started to have a nightmare. He was tossing and turning as he went deeper into sleep and as the nightmare got worse. Then he stopped moving but his breathing seemed to get difficult.


It was 2.52 am the same morning, a 122 km away as the crow flies from Melbourne city along the south-west coast of Victoria state. The sea was quite calm and the night was balmy. The exact location was twenty-three kilometers west of the Twelve Apostles. The tide was low then. 


In a cave which turned into a blow hole when the tide was up, seven figures in brown hoods and robes sat cross legged on the sandy floor in a circle around a small fire made from dried drift wood and sea weed. Their faces could not be seen in the shadow of their hoods. One could only identify each of them by their voices. 


There was the mixed smell of heavy incense and burning wood in the cavern about 40 winding feet away from the mouth of the cave. There were burning torches fixed on the walls of the large cavern. The walls of the cavern were slimy and smooth due to the action of sea water on sedimentary rock over eons.


The group was chanting in Latin and in unison. They had been chanting for nearly and hour when they stopped all of a sudden. One of the figures was feeding the fire with more wood when the one named Avaritia spoke with a manly hiss.

“I have been seeing the same visions again. We have to prepare ourselves soon.”

“I have been having the same dreams again also. It is time to prepare.” added Ira in a seemingly angry male tone of voice.

“For what?” asked Gula in a male gruff voice and was obviously quite fat because his robe seemed well filled up.

“For war!” answered Ira with a grouchy voice.

“Is this, what is written in the Book of SALIGIA, our book of transgressions?” asked the one named Superbia in a rather pompous Shakespearian voice. “If so, what are we supposed to do?”


“We are supposed to seek out and destroy the ‘Chosen One’,” answered Invidia the soft spoken male leader, “that is our main purpose and existence as a coven in this part of the world.”

“Throughout the world, our kind, have been waiting for the ‘Chosen Ones’ wherever and whenever they arise in the course of human history the last two thousand years”.


“We already have ‘Seekers’ seeking this person.” added Acedia the one with a slow lazy man’s voice.

“Who are these ‘Seekers’?” asked Gula gruffly again.

“Members of our coven who can discern the presence of the ‘Chosen Ones’.” answered Acedia.


“How will they find this person?” queried the one named Luxuria. It was a woman's sultry voice. Her figure was smaller than the rest. “It will be like finding a needle in a hay stake.”


“We have our ways, we have our ways”, replied Acedia lazily.

“Besides, the ‘Chosen One’ will reveal himself soon enough with our constant oppression.” Avaritia stated with another hiss.

“The demons and evil spirits are at our command and I am sure they are doing a good job of oppressing the ‘Chosen One’,” added Avaritia, “we know all this from the Book of SALIGIA.”

“Then so be it,” declared Invidia, “now let us go outside and join the ceremony. It is time.”


“Diutinus victus orsus eversor Lucifer“, they all said in unison and arose shaking the sand off their robes. They lit the way with torches that they had taken off the walls of the cavern as they made their way out of the cave. They could hear strange eerie sounds coming from outside as they approached the entrance of the cave. Outside they were met by the sight of a large group of people chanting and singing. They were the source of the strange eerie sounds. There were hundreds, all of them sitting cross legged in the darkness of the sandy beach. Everyone was hooded and robed too.


 It would have been a very disturbing sight if anyone, not involved with this group of people, had seen them. The satanic worshipers were all sitting around a large bonfire and beside it there was a sedimentary rock stone slab on rocks. It was an altar about 3 feet high and three feet wide by eight feet long. The bonfire was the only source of light there and it casted weird shadows among the group of people in the darkness. The waves of the sea, in the distance, were barely audible in the din of chanting and singing.


There was the satanic star sign also arranged out of rocks on the beach. It was in a ten foot diameter. The half moon was hidden behind some clouds when the chanting and singing stopped. The crowd stood up in unison and made way as Invidia walked towards the altar. The fire casted a long flickering shadow with his tall figure as he got to the open centre space. The other six followed closely behind in a single file. A shorter hooded and robed figure handed him an unusual looking ten inch double edged knife with a handle made from rubies and ivory with strange carvings on it.  As he reached the altar a young goat was brought there too and strapped down with leather belts on top of the slab by two other hooded and robed figures. It was baying all the time. The six stood around the altar beside Invidia.


It was almost 3.00 am and Invidia stood over the baying young goat lying spread eagled with its belly exposed. A silver goblet with strange markings on it was also handed to him. With the goblet filled with some unknown reddish liquid in his left hand and the knife in his right hand, he shouted to the crowd, “Ineo ricito SALIGIA”. Immediately, the crowd responded with loud voices in Latin. They were reciting “The Book of SALIGIA”. Another robed figure stood beside him with an old pocket timepiece in his hand, obviously to show Invidia the time. Invidia continued to shout out in Latin while keeping an eye on the timepiece. He then dipped the knife into the goblet, stirred it a few times. Then he poured the liquid from the goblet onto the exposed chest of the goat which was still baying. The young goat sensing the worst stopped baying and tried desperately to break loose. Then Invidia threw the empty goblet onto the sand and he raised the knife up above him with both hands clasped around the handle of the knife. The shouting from the crowd was getting louder while the seconds ticked away. The shouting finally reached a crescendo. All of a sudden he cried out, “Excessum sun fui futures!”. There was instant silence as the crowd stopped shouting. Then Invidia plunged the steely knife into the chest of the beast, puncturing its heart instantly.


It was precisely 3.00 am.


At that very same moment Adam Appleseed sat up from his sleep, screaming out loud in fear.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Chris Yip


Author's Note

Chris Yip
What do you think of the sudden introduction of a satanic plot by devil worshippers?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You know after reading this I don't know if I like knowing what is coming at the beginning. It did create a tension throughout the story waiting for the shoe to drop. This wasn't the shoe I was expecting. I do like it and its well written. It adds a new level to the story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
I really don't know if it works a this moment, to be honest. If handled right, it could prove pitch perfect, but a lot will depend on what happens in following chapters. By drawing in a second adversary (in effect) you are creating greater danger and threat, but again. A lot depends where you decided to take things from here. Facinated to see what happens nexts

Posted 12 Years Ago


The story took some twist and turns with the Devil worshippers. Poor Adam had too much to think about. Easy to twist a mind up. A bad dream can leave you fearing the thoughts of sleep. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Sorry..I read till here but not this chapter as I'm under eighteen. It is great!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

486 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2012
Last Updated on April 29, 2012


Author

Chris Yip
Chris Yip

About
I'm an Interior designer but involved in sales and marketing of construction chemical products now. My experience in writing is limited and this unfinished novel that i am writing now is my first real.. more..

Writing
Sharon Sharon

A Poem by Chris Yip



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..