Cement Pillows

Cement Pillows

A Poem by Judas Hammer
"

Another older poem. I used to take long walks down dark streets. I would write about what I saw. Sometimes, most times it was not pretty-

"

Cement pillow

 

Is where he lays his head.

The stairwell outside the Post Office is his bed.

Or the front of the AT&T building.

The Little Fish Theater on the oning outside.

Is where he sometimes reside.

Metal cart keep hold his possessions.

Where he will go next only keeps me guessing.

Sometimes he makes tarp tents.

Others are more creative in what they invent.

I saw a man sleep in the Cabrillo beach bathroom.

It stank like hell and piss.

But had plenty of room.

Alone.

By themselves.

Some body’s mother, brother, or significant other.

Lying in the cold California night.

Seems like they have lost the fight with life.

But it is just a standing eight count.

But at midnight.

By the street light.

I see them.

Lying on cement pillow.

© 2012 Judas Hammer


Author's Note

Judas Hammer
Feel free to comment or leave your own story--

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its a little more than an economic issue. Sometimes it is about something you always avoided becoming and then you get to see something about yourself you would not have otherwise known. The mind gets to be quite the jailer without allowing the passions a feel for issues. Nice write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You don't seem them often where I live, but they are there. I had my first experience with them about 20 years ago when I was working as a night baker at a grocery store. There was a bench in the lobby and free coffee. To get out of the harsh Michigan winter, this homeless man would spend his nights on the bench. During the day he slept in the dumpster out back, till he was kicked out. Then I heard he was sleeping in a dog house.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hell I didn't have to take a midnight walk to see the homeless when I visited my sister over in Perth. There was this one guy sleeping on the cement in front of an abandoned building in the city. There were a few gawkers there wondering if he was dead or alive, nobody went close enough to find out. I love to read these poems, you have a way of drawing the reader into what you see.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful piece! This was beautifully written, Judas. I loved the imagery in this; I felt as if I were walking down the streets of Cali and seeing this for myself. Great work. I can definitely see that you make films, for you created a film within my mind. Can't wait to read more. 100/100!

Posted 12 Years Ago



5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 13, 2012

Author

Judas Hammer
Judas Hammer

The City of Angeles, CA



About
I like to write, live in La and write and make short films. and more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy


The Last Lie The Last Lie

A Story by TJ