Cement Pillows

Cement Pillows

A Poem by Judas Hammer
"

Another older poem. I used to take long walks down dark streets. I would write about what I saw. Sometimes, most times it was not pretty-

"

Cement pillow

 

Is where he lays his head.

The stairwell outside the Post Office is his bed.

Or the front of the AT&T building.

The Little Fish Theater on the oning outside.

Is where he sometimes reside.

Metal cart keep hold his possessions.

Where he will go next only keeps me guessing.

Sometimes he makes tarp tents.

Others are more creative in what they invent.

I saw a man sleep in the Cabrillo beach bathroom.

It stank like hell and piss.

But had plenty of room.

Alone.

By themselves.

Some body’s mother, brother, or significant other.

Lying in the cold California night.

Seems like they have lost the fight with life.

But it is just a standing eight count.

But at midnight.

By the street light.

I see them.

Lying on cement pillow.

© 2012 Judas Hammer


Author's Note

Judas Hammer
Feel free to comment or leave your own story--

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the flow and rhyme scheme in this poem. Superb imagery. This is a subject most want to hide their head in the sand, pretend it doesn't exist. Many are a paycheck away from this and do not realize it. Some believe people want to live like this. Fools! I know from personal experience how easily this can happen and how difficult it is to get out of this hole, once you are in it. So difficult to keep your belongings with you, not have them stolen, no address, lucky if you have a phone, where to clean up or go to the bathroom. And the cold, the God awful cold, nothing can warm you up. Kudos for putting this in black and white. My poem, How Blessed", touches on this a wee bit.
Barbara


Posted 12 Years Ago


This is such a poignant view of the homeless. It could be me, you or anyone... just a paycheck away. The title "Cement Pillows" really clutches at the heart of it.
Very well written

Posted 12 Years Ago


Written very well i can tell you put some good passion into this, very interesting I like the concept...your works are always attention getters from the start. Great job1

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow... almost as if I was there walking with you... its such a sad sight to see.
very well penned my friend.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The homeless are part of the USA now. It seem the leaders of this land want to close the eyes to the people who lost everything. I like the desire and the purpose of this poem. Last year in the Detroit school system. 22,000 kid had no address. 22,000 kids without a proper place to rest their head. That is a sad story. Thank you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


A scene always present in the inner city. Some by choice, some by fate, sadly all to be there with broken dreams.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very fine, no, SUPERB poem about a subject too many people turn away from. Tho the theme is a powerful and tragic one, your words flow beautifully, almost veiling the sadness of those who lie ' on a cement pillow'.

I don't do this normally but please read my part seven recently posted and maybe the previous of the series.

Your words are memorable. Bravo.

Posted 12 Years Ago


true story, gritty and real...right up my dark alley.

Posted 12 Years Ago


i liked the whole poem. it gives me chills actually cause i can picture it so vividly. i wish no one had to live on the streets. ultimate sadness.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 13, 2012

Author

Judas Hammer
Judas Hammer

The City of Angeles, CA



About
I like to write, live in La and write and make short films. and more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by TJ


Beautiful Sunset Beautiful Sunset

A Poem by TJ